Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to buy parts for Garahambra?  (Read 1407 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Where to buy parts for Garahambra?
« on: 19 April 2015, 12:16:16 »

SWMBO has just bought a 2002 Ford Galaxy.

VW designed the Sharan and SEAT built them in Spain. They were then badged as Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan or SEAT Alhambra.

Do Ford have an equivalent to TradeClub?

I think the parts are pretty much interchangeable - don't know if SEAT or VW would be a better place to buy service parts?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy parts for Garahambra?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2015, 14:03:45 »

I think you will find that , given the chassis VIN number type details any of those should be able to get you parts.

Having said that, I have a Spanish built Suzuki with factory fitted Peugeot engine and a lot of parts are dealer only.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2015, 14:51:05 »

Galaxies used Ford engines, not VW, but the rest of it is largely interchangeable.
It's a common car, so bits shouldn't be an issue.

They do tend to be horribly neglected though, so a properly critical examination would be a good idea.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2015, 15:01:11 »

Galaxies used Ford engines, not VW, but the rest of it is largely interchangeable.

They do tend to be horribly neglected though, so a properly critical examination would be a good idea.
Except the diesel and notv6 2.8...

Failed door looms are common... have repaired all 8 on 2 cars. Interior trims go the same way as Omega ones, and if you not careful about how the rearmost seats are folded away, you can easily shred the headrests on the back of the middle seat.

2.3 is horrendously thirsty as well, makes an Omega look economical :D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2015, 16:04:03 »

Except the diesel and notv6 2.8...

Failed door looms are common... have repaired all 8 on 2 cars. Interior trims go the same way as Omega ones, and if you not careful about how the rearmost seats are folded away, you can easily shred the headrests on the back of the middle seat.

2.3 is horrendously thirsty as well, makes an Omega look economical :D
VW made the 1.9 tdi, 2.0 petrol and 2.8 V6 petrol. Ford added their 2.3 petrol to the mix. We tried a 2.3 petrol auto (because it was local and they offered a test drive) just to see if SWMBO could cope with driving it.

We ended up getting the 1.9 tdi  :y

The window switches and door handles are the same horrible things that VW fitted to everything they made in that era. I got plenty of practice fixing the door looms in the Golf so no surprises there.

The interior looks immaculate but the elderly owner relied on paying for dealer servicing so I have no illusions about the level of neglect underneath. It had a new MOT in February but I won't be driving it anywhere until I have replaced the brake discs and rear shock absorbers.....

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2015, 22:11:19 »

Mrs VXL has a 1.9Tdi 130 Alhambra.  :y

A bit of ebay searching will build you up a list of new parts suppliers dealing in genuine spares. ECP prices for some parts are hard to beat - Pagid discs etc.

Never assume the parts are correct when using the filters on some sites though, eg. this Alhambra has the larger discs and calipers from the Galaxy V6 model but standard rear discs from a petrol model!  ::), The trim doesn't particularly wear well on the door switch panels etc, I may try some carbon wrap or similar at some point.

Oh and one final point, if you have the 1.9PD engine, you should use VW spec oil (505.01), 5W40 Quantum Platinum meets the spec and is reasonably priced.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2015, 10:37:03 »

Get wax oiling, the front chassis members rot badly on these and the age is spot on for when it hits.  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2015, 20:49:18 »

Get wax oiling, the front chassis members rot badly on these and the age is spot on for when it hits.  :y
Will do.

I have used Waxoyl in the past but it didn't seem to be any more effective than old school rustproofing (painting the underside with used engine oil)

Dinitrol seems to be getting good write ups in classic car and off road forums, I might try that next.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2015, 20:56:33 »

Mrs VXL has a 1.9Tdi 130 Alhambra.  :y

A bit of ebay searching will build you up a list of new parts suppliers dealing in genuine spares. ECP prices for some parts are hard to beat - Pagid discs etc.

Never assume the parts are correct when using the filters on some sites though, eg. this Alhambra has the larger discs and calipers from the Galaxy V6 model but standard rear discs from a petrol model!  ::), The trim doesn't particularly wear well on the door switch panels etc, I may try some carbon wrap or similar at some point.

Oh and one final point, if you have the 1.9PD engine, you should use VW spec oil (505.01), 5W40 Quantum Platinum meets the spec and is reasonably priced.
GM Dexos2 also meets the 505.01 spec - if my local dealer carries on selling it at the right price I may as well use that :y

As you mention Pagid discs I assume you have fitted them to Mrs VXL's Alhambra and the feedback is good?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2015, 22:01:32 »

Yeh seem plenty good enough to me, fitted Pagid discs from ECP and genuine pads sourced from various VW parts sellers on Ebay. NB. Check your rear O/S pad for a wear sensor as Mrs VXL's Alhambra has sensors on both the front and rear brakes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.