Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: leicester to Scarborough  (Read 3510 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
leicester to Scarborough
« on: 26 October 2016, 23:08:39 »

I am back in uk buzzing around. My god the traffic is heavy.

My preferred route is M1 off at A64 and on to Scarborough but lastfew times have used A45, A1 (which was slow) then a64. This was because the M1 was 50mph speed limit  for much of the journey

Cant find if either are affected by roadworks. Anyone been up the M1 recently or A1 for that matter.?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: leicester to Scarborough
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2016, 23:19:11 »

If you think the traffic is heavy up there you want  to drive within a 50 mile radius of Londinium for a few days. Its an utter nightmare most of the time.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2016, 09:03:40 »

If you think the traffic is heavy up there you want  to drive within a 50 mile radius of Londinium for a few days. Its an utter nightmare most of the time.  ;)

Indeed. In the morning I commute Northampton->Chertsey (just south of Heathrow) and in the evening the reverse.  Leaving at 5:30am my average speed is ~35-40mph over the journey, and leaving for the return at 4:30pm my average speed is ~30mph for the journey.

I'll stop now before it turns into a rant ;D

Varche - if you're on the motorways at rush hour expect average speeds in the 40-60mph range, nothing more.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2016, 09:07:05 »

M1-M18-M62-A614 take about 2hrs.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2016, 09:15:32 »

You're just not used to it. You have to drive miles from your place to hit tarmac, let alone traffic. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2016, 09:23:21 »

Indeed. In the morning I commute Northampton->Chertsey (just south of Heathrow) and in the evening the reverse.  Leaving at 5:30am my average speed is ~35-40mph over the journey, and leaving for the return at 4:30pm my average speed is ~30mph for the journey.

Your choice to be a commuter,
Why to people move further from were they work then complain about the journey?
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2016, 09:47:56 »

M1-M18-M62-A614 take about 2hrs.

Or when you get on M18-A1-A64.
First route is via Bridlington., but you can turn off in driffield, and head for Scarborough.
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2016, 09:49:36 »

Your choice to be a commuter,

Unless you work from home or are retired, everyone "commutes" some distance.. and very few could afford to buy a house in Chertsey on a salary paid in Chertsey..

Why to people move further from were they work then complain about the journey?

I wasn't complaining, just letting Varche know what to expect on a British motorway in 2016.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2016, 09:56:36 »

I think all the road works are done north of Leicester now, A64 can be a nightmare in summer, not too bad this time of year though, only got farmer Palmer to worry about with the tractors and combine harvesters.
Why the f@*k they`re still allowed to drive on a dual carriageway in rush hour is beyond me  >:(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2016, 10:11:11 »

I think all the road works are done north of Leicester now, A64 can be a nightmare in summer, not too bad this time of year though, only got farmer Palmer to worry about with the tractors and potato harvester /beet
Why the f@*k they`re still allowed to drive on a dual carriageway in rush hour is beyond me  >:(

fixed,
This time of year.Don't forget bulkers taking spuds to mcains, Lucky combines don't travel with table's on any more,
« Last Edit: 27 October 2016, 10:13:18 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2016, 12:25:42 »

The route via Driffield is a nice drive but overtaking is different now due to heavy traffic.

Thanks MrGav. We will give M1 a go.

A64 is a bad now as the road was before it had bypasses.

Just been into Hinckley. Place is all dug up by Electric company so big hold ups.

Iam seeing a lot of building work everywhere so that is a big positive.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2016, 12:38:18 »

I always go up Sutton Bank and through Pickering, takes a bit longer but never been held up and the scenery is better.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2016, 14:13:03 »

I think all the road works are done north of Leicester now, A64 can be a nightmare in summer, not too bad this time of year though, only got farmer Palmer to worry about with the tractors and potato harvester /beet

fixed,
This time of year.Don't forget bulkers taking spuds to mcains, Lucky combines don't travel with table's on any more,

Biggest gripe is the tractors, 25-30mph in a national speed limit dual carriageway at rush hour which causes long tailbacks, it has a big impact at 5pm  >:(
I always go up Sutton Bank and through Pickering, takes a bit longer but never been held up and the scenery is better.

I have rarely had a free run up Sutton Bank, excellent road from there on though  :y

The route via Driffield is a nice drive but overtaking is different now due to heavy traffic.

Depends what you`re driving  :-X

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2016, 19:53:15 »

Talk about up and round wills mother, and the longest way possible, you could go up to Hartlepool and down via Whitby. 

M1 roadwork's 16-19. and 30-35.
Going up M1 to A64 is 20 minutes longer than going M18-A1-A64.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2016, 19:57:15 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2016, 19:55:09 »

Talk about up and round wills mother, and the longest way possible, you could go up to Hartlepool and down via Whitby.
From Wakefield it's about an extra (relaxed) 20 minutes by the time you take into account the hold ups on the A64. But each to his own  ::)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2016, 20:01:34 »

From Wakefield it's about an extra (relaxed) 20 minutes by the time you take into account the hold ups on the A64. But each to his own  ::)

Wakefield must have moved. Sutton bank A170. Is in herriot land. Takes a bit longer than 20 minutes, but I dont have a super fast snot green Astra (vxr)
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2016, 20:42:19 »

Wakefield must have moved. Sutton bank A170. Is in herriot land. Takes a bit longer than 20 minutes, but I dont have a super fast snot green Astra (vxr)
Hmmmm......no use me posting if you can't read.  ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 October 2016, 23:35:23 »

Managed to average 48 mph during .  A chunk of M1 near Sheffield was being Smartified and was 50 mph.

The A64 had an accident so we had a coffee and detoured not by Sutton Bank but north york ring road and A59. That was slow but moving.

Overall a grim experience , traffic is unbelievable. 

Might just go back via Driffield and M18 ,a1 and the mostly excellent A45.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2016, 06:20:09 »

http://
Managed to average 48 mph during .  A chunk of M1 near Sheffield was being Smartified and was 50 mph.

The A64 had an accident so we had a coffee and detoured not by Sutton Bank but north york ring road and A59. That was slow but moving.

Might just go back via Driffield and M18 ,a1 and the mostly excellent A45.

If going via driffield, just stay on A614 to howden,then take M62 then m18 to M1, no roadwork's.
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 28 October 2016, 08:53:44 »

Welcome to England, you must be new here!  ;) ;D

Yorkshire is never grim though. Not possible. Tis God's own County, after all!

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 28 October 2016, 12:55:20 »

Welcome to England, you must be new here!  ;) ;D

Yorkshire is never grim though. Not possible. Tis God's own County, after all!
Have you ever been to Barnsley? ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 28 October 2016, 12:59:40 »

We don't like to talk about South Yorkshire .. tis a bit too close to Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 October 2016, 13:12:40 »

Staying at the Crown Spa hotel. Penthouse suite ( why not with exchange rate being so good).

Waking up to South Bay and sunrise. Mega.

Gods own country.  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 28 October 2016, 13:42:19 »

:y :y

We go up to Brid a couple of times a year now - in fact, we spent last Christmas there and are going up again this Christmas - and always pop over to Scarborough if we're there in summer.

If you fancy a nice meal out you can do much, much worse than Rags Hotel in Bridlington. Great food, great prices and ruddy great portions  ;D and a view of the harbour from your table.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.