Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Drunk driver on BBC news  (Read 10740 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk driver on BBC news
« Reply #30 on: 11 April 2017, 10:44:28 »

I witnessed a driver do almost the same thing in a Saab 9000 about 6 months ago. Not due to alcohol - not sure what happened but he was in his senior years with a few chronic medical conditions, so could have blacked out. Just didn't appear to register the fact that there was a roundabout ahead. :-\

He was talking and seemed OK by the time the paramedics took him away so hopefully made a full recovery. I doubt his SAAB did.

He missed a large tree on the roundabout by a few inches. Impact with that would have changed the outcome for the worst.

The best outcome for the young lad would be to be raised by someone a bit more responsible instead, IMHO, but that's probably not going to happen.

Well a Saab of that age got a decent send off  :o

Can't say I've seen a 9000 on the road for some time.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 April 2017, 11:31:23 »

OK confession time.....  :-[  ::)  I did a similar thing about 20 years ago driving home from a bar at about 4am.....  :D

I was staying with friends who lived in Barbados and my mate and I went out for a 'few' beers and as driving after a few was acceptable there at that time, I was designated driver of the Suzuki jeep.  ::)

On the way home we came across a roundabout with a big hump on it and I said " Do you reckon we can get over that? " my mate said " Only one way to find out " So as the hump was quite steep I dropped it into low range and up and over we went, quite slowly I might add! And on our merry way we went laughing like drains!  ;D

Next day we drove by the roundabout and saw these obvious tracks going over the roundabout and my mate said " Some pillock has driven over the....... " we looked at each other and the memories flooded back " Ooooo that was us! "   :o  ::)  ;D  Very funny at the time, but obviously totally unacceptable behaviour in this day and age.  ;)

I await my ritual crucifixion!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 April 2017, 12:37:19 »

I have done it sober... ok, no where near as spectacularly, but five points and a £400 fines worth...

Fair to say that I don't plan on having kids anytime soon...
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2017, 14:41:43 »

In my line of work I see the horrific consequences of drink driving more so than most, and for the record I do think drink-driving (along with many other offences) is inexcusable.

With that said, I don't think we can categorically say that, because this woman has done what she's done, she is inherently "bad" - and certainly can't say that she (and her innocent kids) need to be killed or removed from the gene pool, based on the information contained in what is basically a newspaper clip.

For all we know this woman may have been a hard working, and until this point, law abiding and careful mother, who for the first time in her life has made a monumental mistake, perhaps with underlying tragedy as a contributing factor, and will never do so again. In this case, the sentence is probably quite appropriate. We must remember that we only have what is printed in the paper, and don't have all the facts upon which the magistrates would have decided this case.

I don't like the comment either, but it may of course be that TB is joking, and that his comment is simply dark humour.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 April 2017, 15:24:25 »

She was more than 3 times over the drink drive limit, with an empty vodka bottle (as well as her baby) in the car. She refused to give a breath test and had to have blood taken. No excuse, no mitigation, no sympathy if she had left the scene in a body bag.
The sentence will automatically be halved anyway, so the headline figure is meaningless.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 April 2017, 15:45:21 »

There's a huge difference between "no sympathy if she died" and "should be shot in front of her family"

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 April 2017, 15:48:53 »

Some of the extreme views on justice and the prevalent vigilante type comments on this forum never cease to amaze me

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 April 2017, 16:35:25 »

In my student days I was coming back late to Nottingham down the 610 dual carriageway. My mate was driving his mini. We must have both been asleep as he drove straight over a roundabout at the speed limit. No damage to the car and we never hit a single thing despite there being a zillion signs and posts and light standards etc. Still can't believe it after all these years. Just tiredness. Neither of us drank drived.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 April 2017, 17:41:17 »

There's a huge difference between "no sympathy if she died" and "should be shot in front of her family"

No need to take everything completely literally at all times.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 April 2017, 17:42:04 »

Some of the extreme views on justice and the prevalent vigilante type comments on this forum never cease to amaze me

The reason the views on law and justice seem to be getting extreme on most forums, is the public are getting sick to the back teeth, of do-gooders, the human rights act and other soft touches being dealt out to people who break the law, and nothing happens to them, weather they be UK nationals or immigrants, it is what is causing a lot more Right wing views across Europe.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 April 2017, 17:44:04 »

No need to take everything completely literally at all times.  ;)
So are you saying that when she's shot, it should or shouldn't be in front of her family? I'm confused... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 April 2017, 18:05:45 »

I mentioned both her family and mine, so either or neither. I'm not fussy really.  :y ;D

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 11 April 2017, 18:12:17 »

The fact that this woman was so drunk that she drove across a roundabout, putting herself and others at risk of death or serious injury, maybe merited the sentence she got. The fact that she had a 20 month old child in the back should have at least doubled the sentence, in my opinion.
James was saying that there may be mitigating circumstances. If there were, then the pre-sentencing reports would have brought these to light and have been made known to the beak.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 April 2017, 18:22:12 »

The fact that this woman was so drunk that she drove across a roundabout, putting herself and others at risk of death or serious injury, maybe merited the sentence she got. The fact that she had a 20 month old child in the back should have at least doubled the sentence, in my opinion.
James was saying that there may be mitigating circumstances. If there were, then the pre-sentencing reports would have brought these to light and have been made known to the beak.

There we go,

O she had a bad day at the office, or it was ladies problems, or some other excuse, god made me do it. NO you don't do it simple as, Commit the crime do the time, 
I'm no saint, but I know you do something wrong, theres a penalty, maybe the death penalty.
Hoof'land storeman.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 April 2017, 18:24:43 »

The reality is, none of us will be privy to the full information. I'm not saying she shouldn't be dealt with or sent to prison. I'm pleased she has.

The main point I was trying to make is that I don't believe it's right or proportional to wish her / her passenger dead :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.