Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sale`s Calls  (Read 2537 times)

Martin_1962

Re: Sale`s Calls
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2007, 21:28:46 »

I see so mine splits the difference in age, the early Wegas were good
The human setup up ones, that were not 100Hz were OK. Not brilliant, but reasonable.  The machine set up ones, and the 100Hz were poor, not just due to the machine setup, but also poor design.

Shame any pre problematic Wega will now have a shot tube ;)

Stir stir!!!!

You know I've checked with DVE ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2007, 21:33:51 »

I see so mine splits the difference in age, the early Wegas were good
The human setup up ones, that were not 100Hz were OK. Not brilliant, but reasonable.  The machine set up ones, and the 100Hz were poor, not just due to the machine setup, but also poor design.

Shame any pre problematic Wega will now have a shot tube ;)

Stir stir!!!!

You know I've checked with DVE ;D
Trust me, its shot.  With the riduculus factory settings, its shot after two years.  Every tube is shot before 5yrs with an average of 2hrs a day. Go to your service menu, and tell me number of hours. More than 2500, and its gone.  About 1000 hrs if if is on Sony's daft factory settings.

Seeing as the last of the reasonable Wegas went out of production about 7yrs ago, I'm guessing yours has had some use.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2007, 22:39:09 »

Trust me, its shot.  With the riduculus factory settings, its shot after two years.

Which factory settings, out of interest?
Do you mean there's something that accelerates tube demise?

I've got a 6 year old one that seems to be holding up OK. Was never perfect from the factory, TBH. Pretty poor H linearity at the edges of picture and a bit of colour silliness on one corner but I got it seriously cheap as a factory refurb so wasn't that bothered. Power supply went pop once and repaired under warranty.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2007, 08:52:46 »

Trust me, its shot.  With the riduculus factory settings, its shot after two years.

Which factory settings, out of interest?
Do you mean there's something that accelerates tube demise?

I've got a 6 year old one that seems to be holding up OK. Was never perfect from the factory, TBH. Pretty poor H linearity at the edges of picture and a bit of colour silliness on one corner but I got it seriously cheap as a factory refurb so wasn't that bothered. Power supply went pop once and repaired under warranty.

Kevin
Brightness and contrast nr 100%, to make it look good in the shop.

Picture geometry on these is appalling, compounded by a design flaw on the PSU (it ain't big enough), that cannot be successfully adjusted out.  The colour patches can be dialled out usually.  Do you have focus issues around the edges as well - shows up on DVD film credits or teletetx - another common issue that cannot be successfully adjusted properly.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2007, 09:16:28 »

I run mine with the brightness cranked right down, DVD titles look fine, got a small geometry issue in one place but it is very minor.

Hours - I reckon 15000 - 20000 roughly, colour seperation is still good, resolution still appears quite good.

Definately not shot

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2007, 09:19:50 »

I run mine with the brightness cranked right down, DVD titles look fine, got a small geometry issue in one place but it is very minor.

Hours - I reckon 15000 - 20000 roughly, colour seperation is still good, resolution still appears quite good.

Definately not shot
It is - if you had a newer one for a while, then went back, you would see it...

The lower brightness setting will have prolonged tube life :y

But nobody has ever made a tube that lives beyond 5yrs under normal use...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2007, 12:23:46 »

Definately not shot

Been to shop - oh look no Trinitron Wegas!

Compared to my LCD bedroom/caravan one. Tube still better colour.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2007, 12:36:42 »

Definately not shot

Been to shop - oh look no Trinitron Wegas!

Compared to my LCD bedroom/caravan one. Tube still better colour.
I've noticed a lot of portable LCDs in the last 18 months look really washed out.  Earlier ones are so much better for some reason on smaller screens.  Shame, as I'm looking to a 17" with DVD player and DVB for the kitchen....

Mind you, the fact there are no Trinitron Wegas is no bad thing!  Also, not sure if you noticed, many smaller TV places stopped selling Sony, as Sony UK refused to honour warranties (stating that poor geometry, focus, colour convergence, and the scrolling bars on 100Hz, was acceptable, leaving the retailers with swapped out faulty sets that they couldn't get shot of. Many of these were sold on again as 2nds/Grade Bs etc by a large wholesaler.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.