Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who do I choose for Break Down Cover  (Read 2344 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Who do I choose for Break Down Cover
« on: 30 December 2010, 20:41:20 »

http://www.rac.co.uk/uk-breakdown/?source=RSGB&entry=69723&CMP=KNL-google-rac-brand&HBX_PK=rac_google_exact&HBX_OU=50&gclid=CN2Co9TllKYCFQkf4QodQxz2Zg

* Roadside assistance
    * Cover for you

with extra cover:

* Free At home
    * Recovery

Full price
£142.50

Online discount
£38.93

At home saving
£21.50

You pay
Order value
£82.07

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/view-options.do?optMshp=vcon100HS

Your Quote

Roadside assistanceAt home - ideal for winterNational recovery

£107Per year

Or £10.72 monthly
Deposit: £10.78

or
Option 4 reduced from £161 to a £105 because I mentioned thier website, with an advisor that only gave info if I asked which put me off a tad, then found out he cant drive and does not even have a car.

http://www.greenflag.com/breakdown/

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Who do I choose for Break Down Cover
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2010, 20:42:05 »

Welcome thoughts and experiances for all 3. :y

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2010, 20:46:09 »

Dont forget to use cashback sites :y

If you don't already use them, feel free to sign up under my link http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/TheBoy

I am with AA, joint member policy. Not ever had to use it - I use Tunnie's towing services instead ;D. But I am not loyal to them - I threaten to leave every year, so they always offer me the 'introductory' price.

Used to have RAC when I used to do a proper job, they were awful, but that was long ago, and it was probably a cheap option that we had.
Grumpy old man

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2010, 20:49:08 »

been with the AA for years also a quick response when I had my Fords. advantage being the AA guy lives not far from my house  ;D
No more Omega but still hangs around

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2010, 20:56:00 »

I suspect all 3 offer good and bad service. Some will have had nothing but excellent service from all 3, some may have had poor service.

For me, its purely piece of mind if we break down a long way from home, or with her going up and down the motorway every day.

I have had to have the MV6 repatriated (not by any of the 3 mentioned here) when it broke down in France - so its nice to know you do have the fallback, even if it means waiting for ages for them to turn up.
Grumpy old man

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2010, 22:51:01 »

got a credit card?
thn check out G.E.M been a member for 15 years called them out a few times and no proplems.

Mr Hagon

• Intermediate Member
  • South West London
  • RWD and V6; the only way to travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2010, 22:55:34 »

Dont forget to use cashback sites :y

If you don't already use them, feel free to sign up under my link http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/TheBoy

I am with AA, joint member policy. Not ever had to use it - I use Tunnie's towing services instead ;D. But I am not loyal to them - I threaten to leave every year, so they always offer me the 'introductory' price.

Used to have RAC when I used to do a proper job, they were awful, but that was long ago, and it was probably a cheap option that we had.
I would say there's little between them.  I've been with the AA for years now and I get free Home Start.

As TheBoy says, which I have also started doing, just threaten to leave each year and they'll improve your renewal price.

For this year I priced up like for like on their website (and RAC for comparison) pretending to be a new customer and then called them to ask why a new customer gets a better deal.  Before I even needed to argue my case they slashed a good £40 no questions asked.
Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.2 Estate (Mar '02) in Star Silver.

albitz

« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2010, 23:14:07 »

Im with the RAC. Never had a problem with their service.

But having said that, Ive never had cause to use it. ;) ;D

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2010, 23:19:51 »

As it happens I have some cover through my Car insurer, Admiral multi car, however I stopped paying for the AA about 6 years ago, so have saved at least £600 more than enough to get a tow home...... ::) ::)

It's rather like my Dog insurance, paid about £3000 in premiums, that gets a lot of vet service.... :'( typically I did not get the Cat insured and it has cost me around £500.....always a gamble.... :)

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2010, 23:34:36 »

I never have and never would pay for breakdown cover, but saving Tescos points throughout the year covers the premiums.
Its an insurance and I only pay out for insurance that is strictly neccessary - ie car/bike insurance.I have never even had house contents insurance. I wonder how much I have saved over the last 30 years, in not falling for that con on an annual basis. ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2010, 23:38:06 »

As it happens I have some cover through my Car insurer, Admiral multi car, however I stopped paying for the AA about 6 years ago, so have saved at least £600 more than enough to get a tow home...... ::) ::)

It's rather like my Dog insurance, paid about £3000 in premiums, that gets a lot of vet service.... :'( typically I did not get the Cat insured and it has cost me around £500.....always a gamble.... :)

Is that an extra premium Mike?

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2010, 23:45:36 »

Is that an extra premium Mike?

To be honest Phil, not sure, it got very complicated around Master Vamps insurance, think it was included buy my premium went up over my previous insurer, but save loads overall... :y

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2010, 23:46:06 »

Been with RAC for years. Service used to be very good but ive never called them out for my miggy (owned 4 years now)

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2010, 06:04:03 »

Swinton £55 for year and cover at home and away. take you and car home from any were in uk, or garage its up to you as meany times as you need to. £80 if over sea's. best around and they are good. may be a bit cheaper now, look on there web site.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2010, 06:05:30 »

oh an no hiden charges. :y
Solar charger fitted.

russ0205

• northants
    • mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2010, 08:57:54 »

Try NCI on line cost me 30 quid used them a couple of times once for recovery top job, ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2010, 10:00:21 »

I never have and never would pay for breakdown cover, but saving Tescos points throughout the year covers the premiums.
Its an insurance and I only pay out for insurance that is strictly neccessary - ie car/bike insurance.I have never even had house contents insurance. I wonder how much I have saved over the last 30 years, in not falling for that con on an annual basis. ;)
I agree with you. I only take out the breakdown because she has to blast up and down the motorway, and last time her (K series) HG let go, I was stuck in Illford and couldn't help.  That said, I always have some kind of recovery for the bike...
Grumpy old man

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2010, 10:05:25 »

oh and forgot you get accident cover work on road etc, £75 aday that you are in hospital, ££ for eye's lost leg etc.
and no payments ( for treatment) if you have a crash and have to go to hospital. good deal £60 for exray when in crash even if it not you driving.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2010, 10:07:50 by freecall666 »
Solar charger fitted.

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2010, 10:13:35 »

when my blood father had his own garage a lot of aa lads used to call in for cuppas..it got to the point they were parking in his yard and sleeping and i knew a job had come through they just ignored them,my father lost the garage and took a job as a recovery driver although most of the time he repaired the fault and the company was green flag appointed and its amazing how many times ive been out with him and people have said how come your here im in the aa(apparently if the aa and rac are busy they use green flag so it proves my point they cant be bothered so green flag take the pressure off them)im with greenflag and it costs me £30 a year recovery only unless they can fix the prob then they will and charge me but being through the caravan club if i set off on mi jollies and break down they will take me and caravan to my destination(wherever it is)and if i dont have it repaired will come back to collect me and bring me home.chances are whichever breakdown company people choose at some point when you need them its highly possible an independent green flag guy will come out....phew that was a bit long winded ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2010, 12:24:58 »

Green Flag is one I will always avoid (having been with them for 13 years) from now on.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2010, 13:44:41 »

I've just looked at the swinton site, the european breakdown cover. As far as I can see it says nothing about recovery from europe back home. If it's something like a crank sensor causing a breakdown i'd rather do that myself at the roadside and be away. So the lack of european recovery is a dealbreaker I think.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2010, 14:25:16 »

AA for me as they do family cover for my wife, my son and daughter as well as me, regardless of what we are driving. I have to foot the whole payment but it's worth it for my peace of mind.
I left green flag many years ago when they had that stupid rule of recovering you to a garage within ten miles.What use is that.
At least you know the AA will take you all the way home. I've also checked that they will recover my caravan or bike trailer if the car let's me down.
Personal choice I guess, whatever suits your requirements. My priority was cover for the family. :y
« Last Edit: 31 December 2010, 14:27:17 by Alan-Hearn »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 December 2010, 14:52:34 »

I've just looked at the swinton site, the european breakdown cover. As far as I can see it says nothing about recovery from europe back home. If it's something like a crank sensor causing a breakdown i'd rather do that myself at the roadside and be away. So the lack of european recovery is a dealbreaker I think.
you need to call them about that one... or go into shop. find one near to you.
Solar charger fitted.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 December 2010, 17:05:25 »

Remember in most western European countries, you cannot fix anything at the side of motorways, you MUST use the designated recovery people (as defined by the local police, who the police call out). This was around £143 iirc (which was dealt with by my breakdown cover, as was the 2 nights accomodation, taxis, hire cars, and the repatriation of the MV6)
Grumpy old man

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 December 2010, 17:13:26 »

I have always used Tesco's breakdown cover, pay about £75 for full service ,saved me a bundle when the turbo blew on my Galaxy just outside Edinburgh at 11pm ,turned up within an hour and got the car and us back to Newcastle no probs , never been so pleased to see a tow truck!

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 December 2010, 17:23:42 »

Just singned up with the AA.

RAC would not cover me immediately.  AA I have imediate roadside cover and Homestart/Relay in 24 hours.

Took out thier parts and garage cover as well to see how it goes. :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 December 2010, 19:22:15 »

I was with both the RAC and AA (at different times) service was OK when I needed it which wasn't very often.

Now I use the breakdown extra on my car insurance as I don't drive the Omega very much.

zirax

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 December 2010, 23:31:29 »

I started using the breakdown from Admiral a few years back. I had to use them the other week when the tensioner went. Fair play to them they were there within 30 mins (farmed out to local contractor)...... They were going to pull the "take you to a garage" trick, but luckily I broke down at night so they had to take me the 150m home  ;D

I think I may go with the AA this time though. Admiral only allows you one type of breakdown per term, i.e. if my belt snaps again then they won't come out.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2010, 23:31:57 by zirax »
Dr Richard Stephens:- "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear."

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 December 2010, 23:52:02 »

AA for me got my daughter on mine too and it only costs me 13 quid a month for a peace of mind knowing that she wont be lft stranded if her car/ or the one she is in breaks down
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 January 2011, 00:21:24 »

Just singned up with the AA.

RAC would not cover me immediately.  AA I have imediate roadside cover and Homestart/Relay in 24 hours.

Took out thier parts and garage cover as well to see how it goes. :y
i have the same   ive also  got my car insurance and breakdown with aa  so far cant fault them  used the breakdown cover once so far  and they turned up in 25 mins and fixed the car :y
« Last Edit: 01 January 2011, 00:21:51 by millwall »

mrcnc53

• Portsmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 January 2011, 07:31:25 »

Careful if going to Ireland, full recovery will reduce
to road side assist with some companies. Check,
double check and then get it in writing.  You might
worked out I've been caught out...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 January 2011, 11:23:11 »

I was with the ADAC (German Version of the AA) - was £75 a year, but gave me full UK & Europe cover. Some UK Companies wanted over £100 just for a weeks cover driving in France.

So ADAC paid for itself many times over, now got AA cover with my bank account.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 January 2011, 16:32:46 »

Careful if going to Ireland, full recovery will reduce
to road side assist with some companies. Check,
double check and then get it in writing.  You might
worked out I've been caught out...
I remember something about an age restriction for european recovery they'll get you home but not your car if it's too old?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.