Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: android phones  (Read 2393 times)

jtypecav

• Intermediate Member
  • Near Bath, Somerset
    • SRe, MV6, GL Turbo!
    • View Profile
    • MK2CAV.COM
Re: android phones
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2011, 16:22:13 »

Android is a fantastic platform and people forget it's in it's fledgling open days. Clients at work have them doing all sorts of fantastic things with robotics and home automation and they love the phone over the iphone. I've ordered thousands of samsung screens but never really got on with their phone hardware over hte long term. HTC have been in the business of mobile devices for a long time, I do trust the hardware, just not the battery life if you are a HEAVY user!  Dreading supporting the dual core ones and the gaming side of things is only just starting to be a contender.

Personally, I love my android. It does more, more effectively than any other phone I've owned, and I'm a heavy user on O2. From remote controlling servers and NAS while I'm out to syncing all my calendars and google accounts in one easy place. Of course all smart phones are much of a much, but if you want decent OTA updates an unlocked HTC you won't be far wrong. Open platforms, open software, less drm = win.

*edit* This site is quite good for up and coming android bits and pieces: http://androidandme.com/
« Last Edit: 10 January 2011, 17:40:17 by jtypecav »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 January 2011, 18:29:11 »

Love my Android.

Its compact and rugged.

Does email, facebook, a bit of web browsing and the apps side is more than good enough (and easy to use).

Phone reception is very good, battery life acceptable and the call quality is good to.

Its also VERY stable (its now on 2.1)

So it ticks all the boxes for me
Thats the key :y

I'm sure the useless student's gayPhone ticks all his boxes, but it would appear that he and many others struggle to understand others have different needs.

I (reluctantly) had to go gay to get the best compromises for my needs....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 January 2011, 18:35:38 »

Android is a fantastic platform and people forget it's in it's fledgling open days. Clients at work have them doing all sorts of fantastic things with robotics and home automation and they love the phone over the iphone. I've ordered thousands of samsung screens but never really got on with their phone hardware over hte long term. HTC have been in the business of mobile devices for a long time, I do trust the hardware, just not the battery life if you are a HEAVY user!  Dreading supporting the dual core ones and the gaming side of things is only just starting to be a contender.

Personally, I love my android. It does more, more effectively than any other phone I've owned, and I'm a heavy user on O2. From remote controlling servers and NAS while I'm out to syncing all my calendars and google accounts in one easy place. Of course all smart phones are much of a much, but if you want decent OTA updates an unlocked HTC you won't be far wrong. Open platforms, open software, less drm = win.

*edit* This site is quite good for up and coming android bits and pieces: http://androidandme.com/
IMHO, HTC started smoking some bad stuff about 3yrs ago, and never recovered. Hence, the crap such as Touch Pro and Xperia X1 -2 of the worse phones ever made.  It would take an awful lot before I bought another - certainly none of their current junk tempts me

We have a large Android fanboys club at our place - I too work in that kind of environment.  It would appear the Galaxy is probably the most stable and usable (not on 2.2 though, thats poor!).  Does seem my Android friends are regularly rebooting though - but they are fellow geeks, and thus 'overuse' them.
Grumpy old man

wakeyomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 January 2011, 18:48:09 »

Just to add in my personal experience to the debate. I've had the HTC desire since it came out, and on 2.2 for the last few months. I'm a fairly heavy user and it hasn't missed a beat so far. Virtually never reboot it. I do charge it every day because it is, in effect, a PDA with telephony, (and it last longer than my IPAQ ever did!).
I'm sure there is no 'right' answer to 'which phone', as TB says, it depends on user requirements. If anyone is seriously considering the htc desire and have any questions before deciding, feel free to pm me.

Pat
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 January 2011, 20:28:35 »

Love my Android.

Its compact and rugged.

Does email, facebook, a bit of web browsing and the apps side is more than good enough (and easy to use).

Phone reception is very good, battery life acceptable and the call quality is good to.

Its also VERY stable (its now on 2.1)

So it ticks all the boxes for me
snap...except running 2.2
battery life of my desire could be better
only fault really

These two "tips" seem to make a large difference to any HTC battery life .. no idea why ... but  they seem to work

Post #33 on page 2 of this thread  :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2523297

and

post #29 of

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Desire/HTC-Desire-Hints-and-Tips/td-p/382490/page/2

HTH  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 January 2011, 20:38:31 »

key battery saving for any modern phone, is to bring down the brightness, turn off 3G and make sure background app data useage is kept to a minimum

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 January 2011, 20:42:52 »

key battery saving for any modern phone, is to bring down the brightness, turn off 3G and make sure background app data useage is kept to a minimum

Turn off 3G, no chance, why would you want to do that!

It will save some battery power but its the key data channel for a mobile smart phone.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 January 2011, 20:49:27 »

Turn off 3G, no chance, why would you want to do that!

It will save some battery power but its the key data channel for a mobile smart phone.

As pointed out some people have other needs! Not everyone web browses, or if they do its not very regular.

It takes just 5 seconds to tap settings > general > network, and flip 3G on/off.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 January 2011, 20:50:44 »

Ohh and add to that the feking useless Vodafone has shyte 3G coverage! Despite what their advertising says

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 January 2011, 20:51:59 »

Just to add in my personal experience to the debate. I've had the HTC desire since it came out, and on 2.2 for the last few months. I'm a fairly heavy user and it hasn't missed a beat so far. Virtually never reboot it. I do charge it every day because it is, in effect, a PDA with telephony, (and it last longer than my IPAQ ever did!).
I'm sure there is no 'right' answer to 'which phone', as TB says, it depends on user requirements. If anyone is seriously considering the htc desire and have any questions before deciding, feel free to pm me.

Pat

:y Yep, happy with my HTC Desire too.
I've had a fiddle with my friends gayPhone and I have to agree on the general build quality and finish, but that's about it for me.
Only issue with the HTC Desire is the 'rather average' speakerphone, but I have a Bluetooth system in the car, so it's not that big an issue.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #40 on: 10 January 2011, 21:31:30 »

not only 3G , also navigation services.. (and wifi also)

I active them only when they are necessary..

jtypecav

• Intermediate Member
  • Near Bath, Somerset
    • SRe, MV6, GL Turbo!
    • View Profile
    • MK2CAV.COM
« Reply #41 on: 11 January 2011, 01:08:26 »

It might not be as pretty as some of the more recent HTC's but the Desire is still a fantastic handset. My gran (in her 80's) has a Wildfire and loves that too. It was bizarre, I was trying to make her get a more basic one. I almost fell of my chair when she said she wanted it for getting her laptop online!

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 January 2011, 07:57:46 »

At the end of the day, its personal choice. What is great for one person is not so good for another.
A friend of mine swears by her iPhone, but personally I'm not keen on them.
I got the HTC Desire when it came out last year and was well happy with it, then they brought out the Desire HD.
Absolutely amazing. Large screen, fast web browsing, good apps etc, can't fault it!!    ;)
AKA - Mr Bracket

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 January 2011, 11:19:00 »

I am stuck really.  I am looking for a new phone/pda/tablet and I am torn between Galaxy Tab, iPhone and the Xoom thats coming out in Feb.

I need it to be able to use some sailing apps which are available on Android and iPhone, play music and films, is stable and can last more than a day running a couple of apps.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.