Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: Bus nostalgia  (Read 222512 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Bus nostalgia
« Reply #1410 on: 25 February 2013, 20:18:58 »

Great Seth! :y :y

Those double deckers take me back when buses were buses and trains were trains! :D :D :D 8) 8)

Some will  query that statement but I know you know what I mean ;D ;D ;D

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: 25 February 2013, 20:20:30 »

The Swansea Bus Museum staged one of their 'Running Days' yesterday, so a few enjoyable hours were spent there during the afternoon.

Clicky: http://www.swanseabusmuseum.com/

A few photos of the proceedings:

Managed a punishing trip out to Pennard on South Gower aboard this beauty.
It's a 30ft AEC 'Regent V' with forward entrance Weymann 'Orion' body.

For many years these were The South Wales Transport Co's standard double-decker, and dozens of 'em put in working lives of at least 12 years service on the plethora of difficult cross-city routes.

A recently-restored Caerphilly UDC Leyland 'Titan' PD3 with rear-entrance lowbridge Massey body.
It resides at the Barry 'Bus Depot' and ran superbly throughout the day.

Alongside the Titan is what ultimately replaced it - a 10-metre PSU4 Leyland Leopard with East Lancs body.

Following local government reorganisation in the 1970s; Caerphilly and several other neighbouring municipalities were merged to form Rhymney Valley District Council, which adopted this Brown/Yellow/Cream livery.
used to call them banana buses seth ;D ;D ;D

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: 26 February 2013, 00:03:09 »

You would Wilf! ;D

That said, RVDC's buses were very well-maintained, and always seemed to be smartly turned-out for service. :y
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: 26 February 2013, 00:13:34 »

Just did a bit of digging ...

... and found out that the Caerphilly UDC livery (on the PD3 above) is Mid Brunswick Green with Ivory relief.

Question for Lizzie: Was not Brunswick Green used by one (or more, possibly) of the 'big' railway companies? :-\
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: 26 February 2013, 08:38:43 »

forgot to tell you seth . spoke to one of the old west mon drivers he told me they moved from blackwood depo to penmaen in late83 :y :y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1415 on: 26 February 2013, 14:34:29 »

Question for Lizzie: Was not Brunswick Green used by one (or more, possibly) of the 'big' railway companies? :-\

Green was considered the general colour for passenger engines, black for freight, although there were exceptions with various liveries of lined or unlined schemes, especially with the Great Western Railway (1834-1948) and Southern Railway (1923-1948).  The Great Western used an assortment of shades of green, being described as "light" or "dark", depending on the class of loco and how the Chief Mechanical Engineer felt his engine should  be presented. It should also be noted that the GWR was the only railway company to maintain it's unique identity from the time of original conception in 1834 to Nationalisation on 1st January 1948.  It remained all the way through the "GWR", whereas all other railway companies, of which there was a total of 123, were absorbed into the 'Big Four Grouping' on 1st January 1923. Thus the GWR had it's own liveries from the start to the end, whereas the other three companies after 1923, the London and North Eastern Railway, the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and Southern Railway inherited numerous liveries from the smaller companies they absorbed.  So any comment about livery must start on 1st January 1923, unless you want me to write a book here!

The Southern after 1923 was very much the same as the GWR, adopting it's own colour scheme - livery - for it's engines. Green was certainly typical, but not exclusive, to passenger engines, with black for freight engines. "Olive" and Bulled greens became popular on many engines, along with various shades of light and dark, lined and unlined. Malachite green also became the colour for especially Bulled's West Country and Merchant Navy class's of engines, and some of the earlier built engines were treated with the same colour during the 1940's.

The LMS used particularly Crimson Lake for passenger engines, with black for freight engines in general up to 1948. Sir William A. Stanier, the CME for the LMS, when he introduced his Coronation 4-6-2 Class of loco in 1937 in streamlined form painted 5 of them in a blue and silver livery to match the streamlined coaches that the engines pulled. Later 5 more engines of the class were streamlined as well and painted with a maroon and gilt, with another 15 arriving thereafter. Five more streamlined versions of his Coronation Class were painted in war time black, with non-streamlined versions also so treated.

The LNER used various shades of green and black for passenger engines. Sir Nigel Gresley, the CME for the LNER used Garter Blue for his wonderful A4 pacifics in the main, but for his Silver Jubilee services in 1935 engines such as A4's 2509 Silver Link, 2510 Quicksilver, 2511 Silver King 2512 and Silver Fox. was in silver and grey to match the streamlined coaches they pulled.

So, in final answer to your question the 'Big Four' companies used various colour schemes, but a Brunswick Green to my knowledge was not used.  However after 1st January 1948 British Railways adopted all that went before, and during an experimental period using various engines over, what were before, "foreign" tracks, different liveries were tried. These included a light blue, an apple green, a light red and..................... Brunswick green.  The latter was then adopted for use on passenger engines across the new BR, especially on the Southern Region, were Bulled's engines  were rebuilt and had that colour applied.  Livery of individual engines was always vital to how an engine looked as the CME's well knew, and by this experimentation by BR it was established which classes of engines should have a particular livery in their particular new Region. Brunswick green was not only used on ex-Bulled engines, but on all passenger engines of the new Standard Classes if designated for passenger service as it was found to not only suit the engines but be hard wearing and capable of hiding so much dirt, as light blue never would! Some of the ex-LMS, ex-LNER, and ex-GWR engines also received this colour.  One exception on the passenger engine rule for Brunswick green was in regards to the last steam engine built for BR in 1960;  a freight engine, Standard Class 9F 92220 Evening Star which was adorned with Brunswick green livery and a brass plaque.

Finally this is one of my favourite engines, in Brunswick Green, West Country Class 4-6-2 34016 Bodmin

« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 14:42:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: 26 February 2013, 14:47:36 »

You would Wilf! ;D

That said, RVDC's buses were very well-maintained, and always seemed to be smartly turned-out for service. :y
not the ones we went on . buckets off bolts  ;D ;D

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: 26 February 2013, 14:56:21 »

Is that on the Mid Hants Railway, Lizzie? :-\

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1418 on: 26 February 2013, 15:47:11 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: 26 February 2013, 15:57:53 »

Oooohhhh, rail traction.

A couple of quick pics of my progress on said hobby

The now bare front end with the chassis mounts re-aligned:

and  the trial fit of 100Kg of new steel which is drilled ready for fixing (with bolts, not rivets)

« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 16:07:04 by Marks DTM Calib »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1420 on: 26 February 2013, 17:03:10 »

Oooohhhh, rail traction.

A couple of quick pics of my progress on said hobby

The now bare front end with the chassis mounts re-aligned:

and  the trial fit of 100Kg of new steel which is drilled ready for fixing (with bolts, not rivets)

That's coming on Mark! :y :y

Please remind me from what rail vehicle / engine are those frames from? :( :(

Are you sand blasting the inner faces of the frames or just wire brushing them before applying the Rustoleum?  ???

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1421 on: 26 February 2013, 17:13:09 »

Further to my railway livery thread, this is an example of the streamlined Coronation class 4-6-2, Pacific, loco's, 6229 Duchess of Hamilton at the York Railway Museum shortly after her rebuild to streamlined form had been completed:

Just beautiful in maroon with the gold stripes as completed at Crewe in 1938:

These engines competed rather belatedly with the LNER streamliner's of the Silver Jubilee as previously described, with A4 engines. :y :y

The wonderful fact about the railways before nationalisation in 1948 was the range of liveries to be seen around the country 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  Buses very much took up that trend as seen in this whole thread with countless liveries.  Before the  trains and the buses the stage coaches were completed in many different liveries to represent their owners, thus "coach building" and finishing developed from them to the "new" age ways of transportation. ;)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 17:18:22 by Lizzie Zoom »

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: 26 February 2013, 17:34:06 »

That crimson livery would no doubt have been applied by the traditonal brush method, with the stripes being in gold leaf.
A magnificent achievement, and true testimony to the skills of all those involved. :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: 26 February 2013, 18:15:08 »

Talking of coach-painting and restoration, here's the most significant project that I've undertaken to date.

I'd been looking for a bus of local origins for quite some time during the late-1980s; and with nothing realistic materializing, bought this AEC Reliance which had spent it's entire working life in the Yeovil area.

The 'original' Brewer company had operated many similar machines, so I approached our MD for his views on a 'pseudo Brewers' bus. He was immediately enthusiastic, and put all our companies' facilities at my disposal - even funding the purchase of several gallons of coach enamel.

Here's the finished product after six years' graft on a friends farmyard:

Totally brush-painted and over-varnished in all it's glory.
It performed as good as it looked - top whack was 62 mph; and 19 mpg was often achieved.

Peter actually traced the sole-surviving 'varnish-fix' scroll transfer to achieve this.
Like myself, he also served his apprenticeship with the Western Welsh Omnibus Co.

The traditional back end of a post-war Brewers bus.
The 'Caerau Garages' site is but a stone's throw from our present abode.

On one of our very first outings in Summer 1994.
To my left is our (then) MD; who made completion of the project so much easier for me.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 18:17:46 by Seth »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1424 on: 26 February 2013, 18:23:51 »

That crimson livery would no doubt have been applied by the traditonal brush method, with the stripes being in gold leaf.
A magnificent achievement, and true testimony to the skills of all those involved. :y

It is finished in LMS maroon Seth, as it was liveried in 1938.  Yes, all hand painted and a wonderful celebration of all those old railway skills that now survive, at least in part, within the steam preservation movement.  The numbers and "LMS" numerals are all applied transfers I believe, as the rest of the railway preservation engines now use.  :-* :-* :-* :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 18:27:10 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.