Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping  (Read 3022 times)

miggy

Stopping
« on: 01 June 2007, 22:47:14 »

Just looking on the wifes Renaultsport clit 197 forum and there are 2 guys arguing on there on how you should stop when approaching junctions, roundabouts etc.

One says he approaches the junction without changing down the gear box
The other says the correct way is to change down the box to assist braking and to approach the junction in the correct gear.

How do you do it in your manuals. ;D ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2007, 22:50:37 »

Brakepads are cheaper than gearboxes....

Brake off the speed then select the correct gear for the speed needed to negotiate the hazard safely.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2007, 22:51:36 »

I use the gearbox as a suppliment to the brakes, i go down through the box as i approach the junction........

i do the same with the autobox, i will knock it down through the box, save the brakes

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2007, 22:55:40 »

I use the gearbox as a suppliment to the brakes, i go down through the box as i approach the junction........

i do the same with the autobox, i will knock it down through the box, save the brakes

Hmm.... not sure I can agree with this

Having changed a gearbox on a V6... give me a brake pad change any day!!!

When I drive manuals, I get the car down to the appropriate speed, and then select the gear I need dependant on speed and situation

Broccie - what does Roadcraft say?

miggy

« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2007, 22:56:09 »

This thread sounds like the one on the renault forum.

I suppose its driver preference, I was tought 30 years ago to change down the box and recently on my advanced driving course.
My daughter recently passed her test and she was tought to change down the box.

I suppose we need to agree to disagree on this one.

:y :y

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2007, 22:56:12 »

The correct way is to stay in the gear you are in prior to the roundabout and then block-change down either into 2nd if not actually stopping at the rounabout of if stopped blockchange straight into first. Doing it this way saves the Ozone as well (cough) ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

miggy

« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2007, 22:58:48 »

The correct way is to stay in the gear you are in prior to the roundabout and then block-change down either into 2nd if not actually stopping at the rounabout of if stopped blockchange straight into first. Doing it this way saves the Ozone as well (cough) ;)

As long as you select the correct gear otherwise the gearbox and engine will end up in heaven.

;D ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2007, 22:59:40 »

This thread sounds like the one on the renault forum.

I suppose its driver preference, I was tought 30 years ago to change down the box and recently on my advanced driving course.
My daughter recently passed her test and she was tought to change down the box.

I suppose we need to agree to disagree on this one.

:y :y

Ah, it's all friendly banter...

My instructor when learning to drive 6 years ago, although his method was to change down the box as you approach something... told me that he was forced to make us block change when we'd reached the speed required..

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2007, 23:07:47 »

As the forums only qualified and practicing Approved Driving Instructor, I can safely say without fear of contradiction that this is the correct way:

Approach roundabout in whatever gear you are in (4th for example). Slow using the footbrake whilst you assess the roundabout for traffic. Select the gear when you can see if it is clear., ie 2nd or continue braking to a stop and select 1st just before stopping in preparation to starting again.

miggy

« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2007, 23:12:59 »

As the forums only qualified and practicing Approved Driving Instructor, I can safely say without fear of contradiction that this is the correct way:

Approach roundabout in whatever gear you are in (4th for example). Slow using the footbrake whilst you assess the roundabout for traffic. Select the gear when you can see if it is clear., ie 2nd or continue braking to a stop and select 1st just before stopping in preparation to starting again.

There you are, query solved.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2007, 00:05:04 »

There you are, query solved.

What was that I said again as the first answer to this thread???   ;D   ;D   ;D   :y

Brakepads are cheaper than gearboxes....

Brake off the speed then select the correct gear for the speed needed to negotiate the hazard safely.

Reads like we are quoting the same thing, Mr McB   :y

Hmm.... not sure I can agree with this

Having changed a gearbox on a V6... give me a brake pad change any day!!!

When I drive manuals, I get the car down to the appropriate speed, and then select the gear I need dependant on speed and situation

Broccie - what does Roadcraft say?

James - as above, Matey!!   ;)
« Last Edit: 02 June 2007, 00:08:31 by hotel21 »

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2007, 00:17:43 »

if you're coming to a complete stop, stay in the gear you're in, then when you're slow enough, clutch in and gear straight to first, if you know you dont need to stop, slow down to about 15mph and change to second (roundabouts and stuff)

that's what i do in my manual, as a passenger i'd see people approach a junction and shift down through every gear and it just seems unnecessary

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2007, 00:56:58 »

Yeeehaaa!!!   My wife was taught to change down through the gears. I was taught the proper way. Arguement settled.
A roundabout is the same as any other road deviation, brake whilst assessing then select the correct gear for your speed and away you go.  :y
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2007, 09:29:31 »

Personally change down gears, but sometimes just brake and then change gear, depends on situation ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2007, 13:58:47 »

Those of us taught 20 odd years ago, with no update training, will probably still use the older gearbox method.  Nowadays, using the brake is the preferred way due to economy, better braking systems, and it brings on stop lamps to warn following drivers.

Obviously, using the gears is still advisable sometimes, such as steep downhill gradients etc...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2007, 16:30:31 »

Those of us taught 20 odd years ago, with no update training, will probably still use the older gearbox method.  Nowadays, using the brake is the preferred way due to economy, better braking systems, and it brings on stop lamps to warn following drivers.

Obviously, using the gears is still advisable sometimes, such as steep downhill gradients etc...

I passed my test ummm.....25years ago  :-[ and carnt really remember how i was taught to slow down.....but driving autos for probably 20 years i have become lazy  ::) and only change gear if i have to.......therfore i do it the correct way   ;D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 June 2007, 20:40:29 »

I was always told brakes work on all the wheels, changing down only on the drive axle. Granted I was driving artics but the principal is the same and as Broocie pointed out brake pads are a lot cheaper and easier to change than clutches.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Martin_1962

« Reply #17 on: 02 June 2007, 20:55:50 »

I used to change down as I slowed down, using brakes but keeping the engine revs up, but autos don't do this

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 June 2007, 21:17:37 »

but autos don't do this

A mate of mine changes down through the gears on his autobox when approaching junctions ::). Then he pulls away and rags the @rse off the engine for a while before realising that the reason it's not changing up is that he had it in "1" by the time he stopped. :-[

Don't know why he didn't just buy a manual.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Danny

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 June 2007, 22:05:58 »

but autos don't do this

A mate of mine changes down through the gears on his autobox when approaching junctions ::). Then he pulls away and rags the @rse off the engine for a while before realising that the reason it's not changing up is that he had it in "1" by the time he stopped. :-[

Kevin

that tickled me, i can imagine the embarassed look on someone's face forgetting their auto was an auto!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2007, 22:35:22 »

but autos don't do this

Kevin
We've all done it  :-[
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 June 2007, 22:47:58 »

My mother uses the gears - I'm a brake man myself. :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2007, 22:58:26 »

In a manual i would use both brake and gears to help each other :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2007, 23:14:34 »

I have to admit i heel and toe it down the gears on the approach to roundabouts in the Westfield, but only because it makes a nice sound when I blip the throttle!

On the whole I'm in favour of using the brakes and then selecting an appropriate gear when I know I'm moving off. However, it's worth bearing in mind that if you change down as necessary to keep the engine revs above 1500 or so on the overrun when slowing down, you'll keep the injection system in overrun cut fuel and you will save a little fuel.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amigov6

« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2007, 00:21:36 »

:)I was going to say that!  8-)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2007, 00:39:20 »

A track technique I learnt some 20 years ago... brake hard when approaching the corner, drop the gear and accelerate hard through the band.

Reason?

1. Changing gears involves a (brief) period of no power to the wheels. If you shift down while the car is slowing anyway, you do not loose-out on forward momentum. If, however, you shift down after the bend when you are ready to accelerate again, you loose a precious fraction of a second when you need it most. So make use of the braking period to have the car prepared in the right gear for the acceleration when coming out of the bend.

2. When you brake, the centre of gravity moves forward, and the weight is off the rear of the car. When you accelerate, the centre of gravity moved backwards and increases the weight on the rear thus holding down the rear wheels. The technique is meant to reduce overseer on RWD cars.

3. Shifting gears while inside the bend is serious no-no, a vehicle is controlled by both braking and accelerating, so having the wheels disconnected from the engine even briefly reduces your control of the car (remember, we are talking track here, not your local Tesco roundabout) and you do not want that to happen mid-corner...

So in short it is brake into the bend, shift down just as you enter the bend, and then accelerate hard through the bend and shift up when redlining in the straight.. Not sure if this is applicable to the road...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2007, 00:41:14 »

When i passed my driving test many, many moons ago, i was taught to use the gearbox to slow down. Been doing it ever since, but when i took tmy Lgv test i was told not to use the gears but to drop from 6th to 4th etc. I did not like this method but listened as it was the norm. Giving choice i drive my way, as long as i am in control and as we can all agree, unless we drive like a bloody maniac us older users tend to drive more slowly. Ha, ha.. A fact of life.. Until the sun is out and the shades are on and good music on the radio/CD. Then its back to ................ ;D
Is the world ready for me..

Danny

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2007, 12:43:05 »

lets say you're doing 40, someone pulls out in front of you and you have to slam on emergency stop style, would you wrench through the gears as quick as you can???  ;D

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2007, 20:33:12 »

When i passed my HGV some 20 odd years ago i was made to come down through all the gears........ some sixteen of the bugger's however they changed the method a few years later encouraging block changing and more use of the brakes.
Many years later while working for the old bill i took one of there pursuit driving courses which told me to brake and then select the right gear for the exit as hotel has already said, another great tip shown to me then was looking to see how quickly a bend could be safely driven by watching how quickly the inner and outer edge of the road opend up, this was one of the best bit of driving advice i have ever been given and i'm sure Hotel and Dean you know what i am talking about :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2007, 18:40:34 »

...... another great tip shown to me then was looking to see how quickly a bend could be safely driven by watching how quickly the inner and outer edge of the road opend up, this was one of the best bit of driving advice i have ever been given and i'm sure Hotel and Dean you know what i am talking about :y

:-? Please explain  :-?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 June 2007, 21:04:04 »

Its called the limit point.  Its where, on a country road, the nearside and offside verges meet within the turn of a bent.  If you consider it as a point, it will do one of three things, relative to your position approaching the bend....

If it remains stationary, then your speed is basically correct for the bend.

If it moves away from you, then the bend is opening up and, if its very moving quickly, the bend is turning into a straight.....

If its moving backwards towards you, consider loosing speed quickly as if you don't, you may be heading for the ditch/verge....

Sounds complex, but try it when on a country road.  It works, but you also need to consider A LOT of other things at the same time before you decide how quickly to take a bend......  A qualified trafpol driver round our way gets a total of somewhere approaching 9 weeks tuition with an instructor (not including time working with and understudying a qualified trafpol driver) before getting let loose.....  Its a lot of road miles.....  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 18 queries.