Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: buying a vectra?  (Read 1842 times)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
buying a vectra?
« on: 05 January 2010, 17:23:42 »

A mate of mine is looking at a 2001 vectra CD 1.8. It looks very clean, has 94k on the clock and is up for £1200 ono. Aside from cambelt change and "sticky windows" does anyone on here know of any common problems that he needs to look out for?
cheers guys (and yes , I know he should go for a Mig instead!) :y

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
Re: buying a vectra?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2010, 17:24:24 »

Sounds alot of money for one of them IMHO
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2010, 17:27:58 »

Yeh, its a "trader", but from what I can see on autotrader and the local papers the price isnt out of synch. I suggested that he knocks him down and gets cambelt change included in price but wandered if anyone here was aware of any problems with that model?

sexydaz

« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2010, 17:28:41 »

worst car i have ever driven for understeer,apart from that i had no faults with mine liked it

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2010, 17:51:25 »

I had 150 sri,and it was a cracking motor,and the third vec i have owned.one thing i have found with the vecs is the boot rubber tends to allow water into the boot sometimes,just a minor thing to look out for,as a new rubber will cost in excess of £60 from vx. :y
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2010, 17:53:40 »

Also forgot to add,look out for the rear door strikers,as the steel seems to be very thin around that area,and tends to rust fairly quickly ;)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2010, 18:02:36 »

cheers guys. Hopefully it seems that there are no major problems with the model, the only common faults that owners reported that I could see when I trawled the net for reviews were sticking electric windows and, as Mark said, leaking boot. A few mentioned the engine management system playing up but these were from earlier models. Forewarned is forearmed though, I remember that it was well worth a look on here to check up on things to look out for when I got my Mig (rocker cover seal  for eg) :y

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2010, 18:13:22 »

cheers guys. Hopefully it seems that there are no major problems with the model, the only common faults that owners reported that I could see when I trawled the net for reviews were sticking electric windows and, as Mark said, leaking boot. A few mentioned the engine management system playing up but these were from earlier models. Forewarned is forearmed though, I remember that it was well worth a look on here to check up on things to look out for when I got my Mig (rocker cover seal  for eg) :y
yes jerry the front electric windows are a real pain in the arse,i found they are very sensative,and slightest bit of resistance,and go straight back down. :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2010, 18:19:21 »

yes jerry the front electric windows are a real pain in the arse,i found they are very sensative,and slightest bit of resistance,and go straight back down. :y

On the review site one of the owners had taken his to vx to fix, the other had removed the door card and used some wd40, both had no trouble with them after but you can guess which was the cheaper option ;D

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2010, 18:22:34 »

My wife has a 90,000 mile 1998 1.8 GLX estate which has had no problems in the last 4 years apart from camshaft sensor failure (easy fix).  My son has just sold his 128,000 mile 1998 1.8 LS.  No real problems apart from jamming front windows, knocking rear suspension bushes and cam cover oil leak.  The one thing that was a problem and decided on the sale was rot around the rear door strikers, as mentioned by mark mv6, the rest of the car was completely rust free.  He now has a Mk3 Mondeo, not the Omega that I suggested, there is just no accounting for taste.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2010, 18:29:39 »

leccy windows andrear door striker check it is then :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2010, 19:41:16 »

Springs also a problem on Vectra/Signum - a common post on Vec C website
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2010, 21:01:59 »

My wife has a 90,000 mile 1998 1.8 GLX estate which has had no problems in the last 4 years apart from camshaft sensor failure (easy fix).  My son has just sold his 128,000 mile 1998 1.8 LS.  No real problems apart from jamming front windows, knocking rear suspension bushes and cam cover oil leak.  The one thing that was a problem and decided on the sale was rot around the rear door strikers, as mentioned by mark mv6, the rest of the car was completely rust free.  He now has a Mk3 Mondeo, not the Omega that I suggested, there is just no accounting for taste.
What can i say. :-X :-X ;)

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2010, 21:04:36 »

leccy windows andrear door striker check it is then :y
I actually took mine off,and smeared grease behind,to keep it at bay. ;)

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2010, 21:48:40 »

A mate of mine is looking at a 2001 vectra CD 1.8. It looks very clean, has 94k on the clock and is up for £1200 ono. Aside from cambelt change and "sticky windows" does anyone on here know of any common problems that he needs to look out for?
cheers guys (and yes , I know he should go for a Mig instead!) :y
Get a new mate!!!
Curry makes the world go round!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.