Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: have a 2.2  (Read 451 times)

dero

• View Profile
have a 2.2
« on: 14 June 2009, 19:29:45 »

I have a 2.2 cd 2003 and I am looking to uprate the rear suspension for towing a caravan,I have been recomended the springs from Comptek MAD springs at £97.00 any other type I should consider? and has anyone any experience of these springs?

Any help would be apreiciated

Dero

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: have a 2.2
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2009, 19:35:12 »

Sure one of the caravanners will come along with advice, but not sure, if caravan correctly loaded, its that much of an issue
Grumpy old man

mark.adams

• Cambridgeshire
  • Happy
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2009, 19:36:18 »

The Omega is the perfect towcar and comes highly recommended as such, are you sure the rear springs need uprating for towing purposes?
Omega 2.6 V6 Elite in Shiny Black

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2009, 20:38:27 »

haven't towed a van but I've had other assorted stuff on the back including a couple of ton in an unbraked trailer (sshh!).  As long as you get the towhitch load correct, you'll be find with the current springs (as long as they are not broken! - worth having a quick look - they tend to break at the top and bottom end where they start to taper)
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2009, 22:19:28 »

As long as the max vertical load at the tow hitch is around 75Kgs you should have no problems. That is the recommended VX load.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.reynolds983/Manuals/Omega2002Manual.pdf

Page 171, middle column, top paragraph

The caravan max is usually around 100Kg (Alko chassis) and the towbar itself around 150 (witter)

Many people have no idea what their noseweight is and so overload the suspension and back axle. You should aim for 75 Kgs with a miggy .. ok landrovers can go much higher .. but you ain't got one of them !!

Nose weight can be checked with bathroom scales quite easily ... 2 ways .....

Accurate one .. piece of broom handle cut to length to make the van sit level, place one end in hitch, the other on a piece of load spreader on the scales, raise the front steadies until just clear. slowly wind the jockey wheel up until the whole weight is on the scales .. read the nose weight.

Less accurate, stick the scales under the jockey wheel, raise the rear steadies slightly, wind the jockey wheel down until the front steadies are clear. Read the weight.  This is NOT the nose weight as the jockey wheel sits slightly closer to the axle than the hitch, the true noseweight will be a little HIGHER than this reading, but it can be used as a guide. If this reading is over the limit .. then your true weight is definitly over !!!

HTH
« Last Edit: 14 June 2009, 22:21:55 by entwood »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.