Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know about Suzuki Vitaras?  (Read 1846 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Anyone know about Suzuki Vitaras?
« on: 02 October 2011, 14:22:11 »

Vamps post on other forums has prompted me to do this post. I haven't been able to find a "what to look out for guide" or a decent Suzuki forum like OOF.

I am very seriously considering leaving the Omega fold and buying a diesel 1.9 or 2.0 Vitara (old shape not the newer Grand Vitara shape) here in Spain. Maybe 98 to 2002 sort of age with 75k Miles or more. We need something with good ground clearance and 4 wheel drive for when we have torential rain/mud and for getting about on our land. The Omega has been fairly poor at both!

All I have gleaned so far is that the front transmission is weak and the interior fittings break easily. Not much to go on. I am a little bit cautious as I have never owned a diesel and not owned a manual since 1980 .

Any what to look for's greatfully appreciated.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know about Suzuki Vitaras?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2011, 15:28:32 »

Any what to look for's greatfully appreciated.

Something else!!  ::) ::)

I've only ever driven a short wheel based drop head about 15 yrs ago, it was the sister-in-law's. IMHO it was sh1te!  ;) ;) ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2011, 16:27:27 »

Well Andy. Needs must.

Economical, small (for on land maneouverability), cheap so scratches from branches don't matter. Got to be able to tow an unbraked trailer with up to 750Kg of produce. I am underwhelmed at the prospect myself but.........

I prefer the LWB tin top, no removable bits version, so pitching and passenger sickness should be slightly reduced. ;D ;D

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2011, 16:30:13 »

I have never driven one, but have considered them and my Dad thinks they are great, he hires one a couple of times a year when they go to Cyprus....
I know that the Grand Vitara can come in diesel auto... :y

But if you want the best reasonably priced 4x4 recommended in the 4X4 Magazine then buy a Jeep Cherokee... ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2011, 16:43:51 »

But if you want the best reasonably priced 4x4 recommended in the 4X4 Magazine then buy a Jeep Cherokee... ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2011, 16:45:53 »

I have never driven one, but have considered them and my Dad thinks they are great, he hires one a couple of times a year when they go to Cyprus....

Hardly any autos in Spain. Garages have even less of a clue about them than in Britain. I took the Omega in for a new brake pipe (ripped off by rocks) and no one in the garage had ever driven one so I had to show them.

Jeep Cherokee. No good for what I want has to be small not the size of a Hummer. A neighbour had one and the bill for a new gearbox was astounding. I could have had a fleet of Omegas for what he paid.....

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2011, 16:47:29 »

But if you want the best reasonably priced 4x4 recommended in the 4X4 Magazine then buy a isuzu.. ;D ;D
fixed that for yer :y ;D

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2011, 16:52:35 »

But if you want the best reasonably priced 4x4 recommended in the 4X4 Magazine then buy a isuzu.. ;D ;D

Which magazine did you get that rubbish from?....... :P :P

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2011, 16:54:40 »

Hardly any autos in Spain. Garages have even less of a clue about them than in Britain. I took the Omega in for a new brake pipe (ripped off by rocks) and no one in the garage had ever driven one so I had to show them.

Jeep Cherokee. No good for what I want has to be small not the size of a Hummer. A neighbour had one and the bill for a new gearbox was astounding. I could have had a fleet of Omegas for what he paid.....

I must admit it is quite big.....bigger than it looked in the showroom..... ::) ::) :D

My last Omega was like that..... :( :( :(

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2011, 16:56:00 »

FLATCAPS N FERRETS,its out every wednesday...its the yorkshiremans bible

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2011, 16:57:42 »

FLATCAPS N FERRETS,its out every wednesday...its the yorkshiremans bible

;D ;D ;D

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2011, 19:47:57 »

SLOW,
 agricultural to drive,plastics fall apart, seats fall apart, front axle weak, clutch can get abused,
some suffer electrical problems starter motors die without warning

but economical and a cheap 4x4 only thing you need to do with the diesel is ae sure its had regular oil and filter changes, unfortunatly that dont happen out here to often :'(
having said all that they are pretty tough for what they are!! good luck in the hunt,

personally i would look for a datsun patrol six cylinder diesel, loads out here the short wheelbase will go anywhere and they are as hard as a rock!! very tough car, n/a so not quick but very very economical,
plenty of them around out here :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2011, 11:39:45 »

SLOW,
 agricultural to drive,plastics fall apart, seats fall apart, front axle weak, clutch can get abused,
some suffer electrical problems starter motors die without warning

but economical and a cheap 4x4 only thing you need to do with the diesel is ae sure its had regular oil and filter changes, unfortunatly that dont happen out here to often :'(
having said all that they are pretty tough for what they are!! good luck in the hunt,

personally i would look for a datsun patrol six cylinder diesel, loads out here the short wheelbase will go anywhere and they are as hard as a rock!! very tough car, n/a so not quick but very very economical,
plenty of them around out here :
y

Have to agree with you they are tough as nails but so agricultural. Had a look at one this morning. Cart Springs front and rear!!!  :) Going to have a look at a couple of Suzukis tomorrow. I will specifically ask about service history inc cambelt and oil changes.     Don't say I wasn't warned............

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2011, 11:50:30 »

Given your use I would be looking for a crewcab Isuzu or Toyota
I have to say (sorry) that anything with a Jeep badge would be so far down that list it would be unreadable given they questionable scrwing together and the total lack of any decent support outside the US.

omegaman2

• Omega Knight
  • Kilsyth, Glasgow G65
  • cruise , tints, shinbuster,advanced drinking test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2011, 13:20:40 »

my neighbour just got rid of his ,it blow a turbo and had bts of unidentified metal in the sump,diy servicing a nightmare because f the location of the oil filter,looks ok but a bit of a pig in a poke
dieseldonicely
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.