Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: induction or no induction  (Read 1665 times)

mikewomball

• st.austell,cornwall
    • View Profile
induction or no induction
« on: 17 July 2007, 10:42:08 »

hi gang,can i have some feed back or facts please,i got a 2.5v6 manaul omega 121k on clock now i like to drive it like the rest of us and test it now and again but i put on a induction cone filter last month with cold air feed and it sounds nice but does not seem to help the car at all.. at top end it seem fine but at bottom end ever since i put it on i have had a faint smell of petrol when i slow down at lights and i dont seem to get the response like it did before..now i put the standard airbox filter back on yesterday and done away with induction kit put car back to standard but left out the air filter for a minute to see if this improves the performance.on this first thing this morning done the school run nice cold air 4mile trip and gave it a blast after the kids were droped off and again i dont seem to notice any change.. but the smell of fuel has gone and the car runs smoother than it did with induction on but makes a troughty noise as no air filter in.so my question is to you all, is the omegas standard dual ram box induction as good as it gets and upto the job or is there anything better... i was going down to get a k.n panel filter today as i dont want to go round with no filter in, but i thought i would wait till got some answers from the pros in the omega forum respect your feedback.....ps the car is running on super unleaded and has 200cell sports cats fitted this is why i wondered if the induction would improve or hinder performance..and whats your opinions on super unleaded as my 2.5 seems to do better mpg on it and at tescos its the same price as standard in other fuel stations.someone told me you should not run on it all time as it can were the valves any help on this as well please...many thanks love this site and all the topics just wish there were more of you in cornwall so could meet up one sundays etc...look forward to the coments mike :y
« Last Edit: 17 July 2007, 10:44:06 by mikewomball »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: induction or no induction
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2007, 10:52:48 »

it wont help the car, apart from sounding nice it will at best leave performance as it is - perhaps even reduce it slightly.
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

wastedperfection

• Stoke on Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2007, 10:55:09 »

Hi , i went to motorworld and got one of their maxpower funnel filters. put a cold feed pipe in and it doesnt draw the hot air off the engine bay. I must say it is absolutely brilliant. SOunds mint , goes better low down and top end and is safe.

Your way by leaving the airfilter out but keeping the box could blow your engine . What happens if your pipe picks up a small pebble? , it goes traight into your inlet and kaboom!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2007, 11:01:06 »

The general concensus around here is that the standard induction system is very good and there is nothing to be gained (other than noise) by replacing it.

You certainly don't want to be running no air filter. Fair enough for a quick experiment but get it back on before the engine ingests something nasty!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

mikewomball

• st.austell,cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2007, 11:04:52 »

:)yeah thanks gang well !! this is why i want to no if the standard paper filters to the k&n panel filters are just as good if so will not bother upgrading i dont fancy going bang down the road today so will be getting something but dont no what one yet.i dont want it for noise if its going to improve perfomance than thats ok if not will stick to standard champion filter or something.thanks for your advice guys :y

mikewomball

• st.austell,cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2007, 11:07:22 »

also any facts on super unleaded or standard unleaded? :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2007, 11:19:11 »

if its going to improve perfomance than thats ok if not will stick to standard champion filter

I suspect a good quality standard filter will be fine. K&N panels are more expensive but I guess they're re-useable  :-/

If you do go the K&N route don't over-oil it as this can damage the MAF sensor.

also any facts on super unleaded or standard unleaded?

The omega does have knock sensors so in theory it can adapt to higher octane fuel. In practice it probably isn't highly strung enough to get significantly more power out of super unleaded. Suck it and see, I guess. Try a couple of tanks of super and see if it improves. Any improvement will be gradual, as the knock characteristics are re-learnt by the ECU.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2007, 11:26:57 »

Drill some holes in the lower standard airbox. This will give you the sound you require with no adverse effects.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

mikewomball

• st.austell,cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2007, 14:49:39 »

well thanks for the input to all of you have now got panel filter in (mahle brand)from local stockist micro filter system good bit of kit part no.LX946.the second i put it on and took car for run it was perfect good balance nice response again and no noise.thanks to all and i have been running my car on super unleaded now for 2mths and done trip too minehead 2weeks ago and the car went on a full tank about £9.00 better in distance value and performed better than in october when was on standard unleaded so think overall the super is better value for money and smoother running than when on standard but its only cheaper in tescos down here in cornwall its 97p ltr the same as standard in shell/texaco etc many thanks to all chat latter mike :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2007, 15:26:30 »

Just re-read your original post and what you mentioned about Super Unleaded being bad for a car if used 100% of the time is not true. There is no downside to running higher octane fuel, only benefits. If the manufacturers hype is to be believed the additive packages in super are better so will keep your engine and fuel system cleaner.

Only downside is to your wallet at fill up time. I have a kit car that really needs super unleaded but I still fill that with 95 RON if I'm just going to be cruising up the motorway and not giving it too much stick, as I refuse to pay some of the silly prices for super.

Kevin

mikewomball

• st.austell,cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2007, 16:35:37 »

chears for that coment about using super all time thats gave me pease of mind as i said been using for couple months now and on the overall i feel the car is smoother and more responsive and better mpg.and at the moment with tescos selling it at 97p ltr i am getting good value for money.chears kevin all best mike

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2007, 18:30:29 »

best option is standard box with a sports panel filter you can order these from motorworld or halfords :y :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.