Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1996 2.5TD feels... gutless..  (Read 2768 times)

aaronjb

1996 2.5TD feels... gutless..
« on: 13 June 2010, 21:55:58 »

Evening all..

I just took ownership of a 1996 2.5TD with the autobox as a runaround/lugger/hack (since the other car has no boot at all  ;D ) and after a long drive I realise it's quite.. gutless.

On a long stretch of uphill motorway, for example, it needs dropping out of top (overdrive?) or your foot planted on the floor just to maintain 75mph.. the question is, is that normal?  The closest thing I've driven is a friends 2002 2.2TD manual which has a good chunk more poke, it feels.

It seems to run fine apart from that, although motorway miles it looks like I'll get about 500 to a tank, which seems low to me?

I'm wondering if there are any common faults that would cause a lack of power but no other poor running.. obviously the first one that came to mind was that the turbo is siezed (which would explain why the previous owner got shot!) - though I should add the car has 93k on the clock, and a full Vauxhall service history..

Hints, tips, common faults to look for appreciated - I had a scour back a couple of dozen pages of threads and nothing jumped out at me particularly..

Thanks!
Aaron

markspark

• Bolton
    • View Profile
Re: 1996 2.5TD feels... gutless..
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2010, 22:05:23 »

i to have a 2.5 td mine tends to lack power around 70mph if i do get it to kick down it will drop 2 gears so maybe this is normal my fuel is pretty much the same aswell i get 500 mile to the tank then its really empty but i do drive with lead boots normaly over 70mph when you consider the weight of the omega the mpg aint that bad really

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2010, 23:37:28 »

Evening all..

I just took ownership of a 1996 2.5TD with the autobox as a runaround/lugger/hack (since the other car has no boot at all  ;D ) and after a long drive I realise it's quite.. gutless.

On a long stretch of uphill motorway, for example, it needs dropping out of top (overdrive?) or your foot planted on the floor just to maintain 75mph.. the question is, is that normal?  The closest thing I've driven is a friends 2002 2.2TD manual which has a good chunk more poke, it feels.

It seems to run fine apart from that, although motorway miles it looks like I'll get about 500 to a tank, which seems low to me?

I'm wondering if there are any common faults that would cause a lack of power but no other poor running.. obviously the first one that came to mind was that the turbo is siezed (which would explain why the previous owner got shot!) - though I should add the car has 93k on the clock, and a full Vauxhall service history..

Hints, tips, common faults to look for appreciated - I had a scour back a couple of dozen pages of threads and nothing jumped out at me particularly..

Thanks!
Aaron

Give it a service including new fuel filter with some Diesel magic in there. Check all air connection hoses/pipes for splits and take off that air charge  pipe to see how much black cruddy oil is in there.
Some have even removed the inlet manifold to clean that, gets build up with black crud, doesn't help.
Ther's also an how to on cleaning the injectors, but see how it goes with a dose of the magic stuff, certainly improved the perfomance of mine :y

Mick
« Last Edit: 13 June 2010, 23:39:03 by MickAP »

Evo

• Amersham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2010, 06:02:47 »

I had a similar problem caused by oil in the hose to the inlet maniford pressure sensor. It will take you 5 minutes to check. You take off the top engine cover. The small bore hose goes from the underneath of middle of the inlet manifold to the pressure sensor (a 1" cube) on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Its just above the dipstick.

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2010, 09:35:27 »

Thanks guys! I'll give all that a check one evening this week :)

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2010, 10:59:31 »

you need to remember diesels have a higher torque low rpm where petrol is the other way.
As mick says service it new air/oil/fuel filters just mind and put diesel or diesel treatment(forte) in the fuel filter before replacing :y

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2010, 15:07:04 »

you need to remember diesels have a higher torque low rpm where petrol is the other way.

Very true.. but I still wouldn't expect to have my foot nailed to the floor just to struggle up to 70mph on a gentle motorway incline ;) Granted I know I'm a little spoiled (the other car has some ~250bhp in a 1000kg car), but still.. it was a bit more gutless than I expected  :-[

I just ordered some Forte diesel treatment and new oil/air/fuel filters & fluids.. something for the weekend, so to speak  ;D
« Last Edit: 14 June 2010, 15:09:03 by aaronjb »

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2010, 15:21:55 »

You will probably see a good difference in running/performance after all that, have you had a diesel before?  quite a difference in driving characteristics to a petrol if you havent. Diesels need oil changing/ cleaning out of things a lot more than their petrol equivalents, so not trying to tell you how to suck eggs if you are familiar with them. The Omega is a heavy car, but you will need to wind it up a bit compared to say, a V6. But you will notice the difference when it is running right. 550 to a tank is considered usual range before fuel light comes on, then another 50 before it flashes, then perhaps 10 before you have to walk.................(and change the fuel filter  cos of tank gunk!!)
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2010, 16:35:50 »

Do above as suggested, my 2.5TD did the same when I first got it, would struggle to do over 80, did the service with not much difference, mine turned out to be the MAF sensor in the end, so might be worth checking this as well.

Chris  :y

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2010, 17:51:07 »

Forgot to say earlier paperclip it and see if any codes are lurking around.
another thing to do is clean out the swirl pot in the fuel tank i found feathers in mine :o :o :o

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2010, 18:33:41 »

Ahh yes - codes.. I'll search about and find the thread with instructions on paperclipping it :)

You will probably see a good difference in running/performance after all that, have you had a diesel before?

Yeah I've had a few - mostly older naturally aspirated lumps, though (one Metro Diesel a long time ago with a 1.4 Pug lump, and two cars with the 1.8 XUD engine.. honestly, the Omega feels like it has less power up hills than the XUD Pug that just ate it's headgasket!  :o )

It looks like I'll get about 350 to a tank around town, too, which seems quite thirsty - having said that, it is a very big & heavy car.

another thing to do is clean out the swirl pot in the fuel tank i found feathers in mine :o :o :o

How on earth...  ;D

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2010, 20:24:55 »

Getting around 33 mpg from my manual, around town.
You will get less being an auto, maybe 28-30 ish.

Mick ;)

Radiomarko

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunny Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2010, 20:36:44 »

If its any guide, my 1997 manual 2.5 lump returned 46 mpg on a recent long motorway run, 32-36 around and about. So 500 on a tank seems a bit low for motorway.

Does not lack power - stays in 5th all the way to London traffic permitting, in fact she needs to be reined in a bit as 100mph + no problem.

Does the turbo kick in OK?
I hate seagulls.   

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2010, 22:34:24 »

Forgot to say earlier paperclip it and see if any codes are lurking around.

Take a look here .........

Click:   http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251298222
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2010, 22:36:30 »

If its any guide, my 1997 manual 2.5 lump returned 46 mpg on a recent long motorway run, 32-36 around and about. So 500 on a tank seems a bit low for motorway.

Does not lack power - stays in 5th all the way to London traffic permitting, in fact she needs to be reined in a bit as 100mph + no problem.

Does the turbo kick in OK?

Roughly the same as mine! :y
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.