Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: night setting?  (Read 2029 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
night setting?
« on: 31 October 2012, 18:37:07 »

Had a lady customer bring her new car back today for a "fault"fixing.She'd bought her first automatic after previously having manuals.When discussing her problem she said the car was fine until she selected the night setting on the gearbox and then it wouldn't go.Eh?night setting,what night setting?So she showed a mechanic what she was doing and of course she was selecting neutral,but had thought the N was for night time driving!!!

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: night setting?
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2012, 18:41:06 »

thats nearly as bad as SWTSMBO mate...she has a tigra and she thought her headlights were broken after she got her car cleaned,they turned the dimmer right down on the dash.... :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2012, 19:01:22 »

If you like stuff like this get on this thread from car mechanics magazine, pure gold ;D

http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/cmm/YaBB.pl?num=1232451225
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2012, 19:10:10 »

Had a lady customer bring her new car back today for a "fault"fixing.She'd bought her first automatic after previously having manuals.When discussing her problem she said the car was fine until she selected the night setting on the gearbox and then it wouldn't go.Eh?night setting,what night setting?So she showed a mechanic what she was doing and of course she was selecting neutral,but had thought the N was for night time driving!!!
Oh god, is that oldie doing the rounds again?

You missed the bit about Race mode as well
Grumpy old man

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2012, 19:19:14 »

Last woman in my car said wouldnt you like to drive an automatic instead of manual  ::) :-\ :-\ :-\ :( ;D

Raymienets

• Glasgow
    • 2.2 cd & 2.6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2012, 20:02:55 »

I had a work mate in my miggy a few year ago and she said. That cars saying hallo. i said what, and she said look its saying HI. It was the heater settings. That is true. Evan a couldnt make that up.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2012, 20:04:00 »

Wait until you get one that won't start after being cleaned. Daewoo Leganzas are(were!) good for this, as the fuel cut off is between the sill and the driver's seat. Therefore it is easily tripped with the vacuum nozzle. I saw one that had been tripped by the blokes walking stick as that was where he kept it when driving.
Alfa 156/166 are also good for this, as the switch is under the passenger seat. I did well out of that one; £20 tip from the owner and £10 from the carwash as they had been expecting a big bill from the owner's mechanic.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2012, 20:23:46 »

How about this HMMWV driving instructions  ::)
This explains the auto night time driving mode;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Mi4XzIo9s

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2012, 20:50:12 »

;D :y

mantahatch

« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2012, 20:50:33 »

Cant remember what year it was, but mid 90s. Went to a Range Rover that had cut out while he was driving. He said his son was playing with a cricket ball in the back seat and he had dropped it. while braking for a junction the car just stopped. Turned out the cricket ball rolled forward and hit the inertia switch under the drivers seat.
Another good one was the LDV ambulances with the V8 engine and auto box. There inertia switch was located by the A post on the drivers side. Slam the door hard with the engine running and you pop the switch.

Inertia swithes where the cause of many a breakdown in my day. Rovers in the centre console, Ford on passenger side A post. And many others I have forgotten. Thank goodness Vauxhall used the safety type fuel pump relay, at least they could be soldered back together or bridged out when they failed. At least as a temporary measure. Allthough after a few years we where told to stop bridging relays.

jonnyboyws6

• Intermediate Member
  • grimsby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2012, 21:04:37 »

Someone thought "inst cons" on the trip computer of my Senator said "insert coins"

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2012, 21:07:10 »

Last woman in my car said wouldnt you like to drive an automatic instead of manual ::) :-\ :-\ :-\ :( ;D

no way ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2012, 21:09:23 »

clever.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2012, 12:02:15 »

Cant remember what year it was, but mid 90s. Went to a Range Rover that had cut out while he was driving. He said his son was playing with a cricket ball in the back seat and he had dropped it. while braking for a junction the car just stopped. Turned out the cricket ball rolled forward and hit the inertia switch under the drivers seat.
Another good one was the LDV ambulances with the V8 engine and auto box. There inertia switch was located by the A post on the drivers side. Slam the door hard with the engine running and you pop the switch.

Inertia swithes where the cause of many a breakdown in my day. Rovers in the centre console, Ford on passenger side A post. And many others I have forgotten. Thank goodness Vauxhall used the safety type fuel pump relay, at least they could be soldered back together or bridged out when they failed. At least as a temporary measure. Allthough after a few years we where told to stop bridging relays.

Standard Bosch setup as used on many german car makers models. The relays are easily fixed two as 9/10 times its dry joint on the circuit board

mantahatch

« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2012, 14:18:09 »

Standard Bosch setup as used on many german car makers models. The relays are easily fixed two as 9/10 times its dry joint on the circuit board

I forget how many of them I fixed, not easy with a 12V soldering iron in the bitter cold with your hands shaking :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 17 queries.