Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bullyboy truck driver picked the wrong guy !!  (Read 6042 times)

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
Re: Bullyboy truck driver picked the wrong guy !!
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2006, 12:37:01 »

Pick on Truck drivers day is it.

Whilst i sympathise with Markiec and this situation i ask you dont tar every truck driver with the same brush.
As an LGV driver myself i agree that there are idiot drivers out there, Truck, Bus, Car or Cyclists.

But, what most car drivers do not realise is drivers of large vehicles need to command their side of the road and sometimes part of the other side of the road. This being not to take out lamposts, bus shelters, signs and of course pedestrians. You tell me where is the common sense of a car driver racing a truck to the next set of lights and then suddenly pulling in in front of the truck causing the braking distance to be considerably shorter which in turn is making stopping the truck harder. Also trying to sneak past a truck on rounabouts up the inside and then blaming the truck driver for naerly cutting him up. On the motorway or dual carrigeway a car staying on the outside or middle lane not keeping up to speed making it an offence to undertake. You see car drivers are to blame also.

Drivers moan about trucks but dont appreciate that if they were not on the road making early starts to get your supplies to the shops, garages etc you would all be moaning that your essential bit for your Omega is not in stock.

Im just putting this point over for all us truck drivers and not having a go at anyone so please bare this in mind whilst reading this. As i am unemployed at this moment and looking for work i dont agree with a driver getting the sack before xmas or any time, there are many ways of dealing with idiot drivers not making sure they are sacked for xmas. Things are hard enough without losing your income for the sake of a severe reprimand.
At the end of the day this time no injuries,  rant over..
Spongebob.
Is the world ready for me..

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2006, 13:22:25 »

Pick on Truck drivers day is it.

Whilst i sympathise with Markiec and this situation i ask you dont tar every truck driver with the same brush.
As an LGV driver myself i agree that there are idiot drivers out there, Truck, Bus, Car or Cyclists.

But, what most car drivers do not realise is drivers of large vehicles need to command their side of the road and sometimes part of the other side of the road. This being not to take out lamposts, bus shelters, signs and of course pedestrians. You tell me where is the common sense of a car driver racing a truck to the next set of lights and then suddenly pulling in in front of the truck causing the braking distance to be considerably shorter which in turn is making stopping the truck harder. Also trying to sneak past a truck on rounabouts up the inside and then blaming the truck driver for naerly cutting him up. On the motorway or dual carrigeway a car staying on the outside or middle lane not keeping up to speed making it an offence to undertake. You see car drivers are to blame also.

Drivers moan about trucks but dont appreciate that if they were not on the road making early starts to get your supplies to the shops, garages etc you would all be moaning that your essential bit for your Omega is not in stock.

Im just putting this point over for all us truck drivers and not having a go at anyone so please bare this in mind whilst reading this. As i am unemployed at this moment and looking for work i dont agree with a driver getting the sack before xmas or any time, there are many ways of dealing with idiot drivers not making sure they are sacked for xmas. Things are hard enough without losing your income for the sake of a severe reprimand.
At the end of the day this time no injuries,  rant over..
Spongebob.

I don't think anyone on here was insinuating that all truck drivers are bad - as I said in my post, some truck drivers. Also, it was more to do with motorway incidents whereby some truck drivers just pull out on cars (sometime with no indication) when there is little or no gap to pull into causing you to break heavily or swerve, often resulting in a bad accident. I've been driving for some 35 years and drove for a living for about 20 years, and consider myself a reasonably good and considerate driver, but I've had this sort of thing happen to me on so many occassions that I've lost count. Indeed there are good truck drivers out there but it's the bad one's that everyone remembers. I also totally agree there are some appalling car (and van) drivers out there too, but these aren't quite so threatening or intimidating as a 40 ton articulated truck when driven badly.
Thats my rant over and done with :-X

I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2006, 13:30:21 »

I have to agree with Bob, I will if safe to do so change lanes and flash the indicating vehicle that is coming down a slip road or wanting to overtake. But the amount of LGVs that just pull out knowing that you will have to brake hard or swerve to avoid an accident so they dont loose that little bit of extra momentum they have on the vehicle infront is unacceptable
Retired

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2006, 14:55:18 »

Hit the nail on the head. Too many truck drivers seem to think that if they manouvre, everyone else will move out of their way. Its just annoying to me as I used to drive everyday on motorways and expected it, but how many people drive along the motorway either following the rules or half asleep (not condoning it, it's just reality!) or with little motorway experience and end up under their wheels.

There are some excellent truck drivers out there. They seem to be getting rarer though!

Funny enough, I'm, sure the vehicle you drive has some impact on the treatment you get from trucks. I used to get loads of courtesy from truckers when I was driving my old Landy (maybe it was the CB aerial on the roof!). Omega gets less I've found, unless you stay just behind and leave an element of doubt that you're a pig in blanket (unmarked plod)
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2006, 15:24:15 »

pig in blanket

I thought they were sausages wrapped in bacon?

On a more serious note, I think I agree with everyone here.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 November 2006, 20:54:01 »

Lets all remember that the truck driver today did cause an accident and if it wasn't for Mark's dad's skill it could have been really nasty.

If this guy owes his livelyhood to his skill and judgement on the road, then in my opinion 1 avoidable incident is 1 too many.

We all make mistakes but not at the expense of others lives - and remember he didn't stop, so either he didn't notice or he didn't care.

Hope your dad's ok.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 November 2006, 20:56:36 »

Glad car and passengers are ok i hope he does loose his job m8
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 November 2006, 20:59:59 »

BTW  i agree with bob aswell he is absolutly right
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 November 2006, 22:23:45 »

Markiec.
Hope you didnt think i was siding with the truck driver i was not.
Glad your father and passengers are ok.

Bob i agree with you about truck drivers pulling out on people it happens to me also. I too have been driving for 32 years and i still see idiot drivers every day of all sorts. Today a car indicated right and turned left. Typical every day occurance.

I also think that trucks should be banned from overtaking on busy times the same as in Europe. Its so much better driving in Europe.
 Anyway all the ranting wont stop the idiots.
Is the world ready for me..

rogerreno

• Deepest darkest Coalville
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 November 2006, 23:06:49 »

I'm glad that all concerned in the car were ok and sincerely,hope the driver in question gets the punishment he deserves.....BUT..

Whilst there are some HGV drivers on the road that don't have the sense they were born with there are a lot of very professional drivers out there (myself included)

I started driving just under 4 years ago (when I hung up my spanners!) and in that time I have come to realise how many inconsiderate and just plain rude drivers there are on the road....and dare I say it,most of them are car drivers.

They have no idea what its like to be driving something big,no idea how long it takes to get it up to speed and more importantly NO IDEA HOW LONG IT NEEDS TO STOP  >:(

I've lost count of the amount of times i've had some halfwit in his BMW come hurtling past everyone and dive in front (in my safety gap) at the last minute only to jump on the brakes and wonder why we can't stop.
I had some guy tonight fly past me at a mini round about only for him to realise he wouldn't make it out in front of the car that was coming,so he locked up....where did I go??? I had to swerve round him COZ HE DIDN'T LEAVE ME ANY ROOM  >:( he then had the audacity to give me the finger as if it was my fault  :o

And the drivers who blatently ignore your indicator thats been flashing for half a mile on the motorway when you're trying to get past something thats going 1mph slower than you,now I know it doesn't sound like a lot,but when you're restricted to 56mph and it takes you half a mile to get up to speed,you get some idiot not letting you out,then you lose your speed,back down the box and another half mile to get back up to speed......then they wonder why we pull out on them (and please don't think i'm condoning unsafe driving)

Its most definately every man for himself on todays roads and i'm looking out for number one....Coz i'm bigger than you down there in your car!! LMAO!!!!  ;D ;D

Cheers,
Roj (Hanson Tipper driver)  :y
Elwood: It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it!  8-)

Iain

« Reply #25 on: 14 November 2006, 23:31:49 »

Firstly im glad there were no injuries with this incident

I agree with most points...ive never driven trucks but i am a coach driver with 7 years experience...i dont be any stretch of the imagination condone this driver but as has been said there are problems all around

Ive said for a while that everyone who passes their test should be made to go for a day's driving of a large vehicle to make them aware of the differences between braking distances,turning circles etc etc....might make people think about it before cutting in front of large vehicles etc

However there are many thousands of very good truck/coach drivers out there but its always the minority the lets the side down ::)

In response to a previous post..all trucks over 7.5 tonne and buses/coaches other than minibuses are not allowed in the outside lane of a 3 lane motorway...which is really annoying when the slow lane is empty and there is some tw*t in the middle lane doing 45 mph...its illegal to go into the outside lane and its illegal to undertake so what do you do?

What i do not agree with on this point is the guy loosing his job so close to Xmas......if he is that bad a driver then fine get him off the road....but to get him sacked is not just going to affect him is it?? he may have kids waiting for Xmas...so while i dont agree on his actions i also dont agree on the possibility on his kids loosing out on Xmas....its not their fault....

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 November 2006, 23:35:48 »

...its illegal to go into the outside lane and its illegal to undertake so what do you do?....

Heard a debate on Radio 5 Live the other day and apparently its only illegal to undertake if you change lanes to do so. (for example, move from behind the slow driver in the middle lane into the left lane and pass them)

If, however, the lane you are in is travelling faster than the lanes outside of you it is perfectly within the law to pass on the "wrong" side..
Cambelt changed 03/12/06.

Iain

« Reply #27 on: 14 November 2006, 23:46:44 »

Not according to Strathclyde Police....

I came along the M8 at around 0130 one morning to find a car doing 45 mph in the middle lane with not another thing on the road......i moved to the middle hoping to get him to move...it didn't work so i moved back to the inside and went past (coaches are restricted to 62 mph) out of nowhere poped up the Police and pulled me over on the hardshoulder by pulling in front of me and physically slowing me down!

He went on about how i should know better blah blah and how it was illegal to undertake.........he was ready for booking me when i pointed out to him that it was illegal to be on a motorway without wearing a hi-vis jacket or vest and he should have used his blue lights to stop me and not by the means in which he did and he should know better!! :-?

he told me,and i quote..."get back in your bus mate and f*ck off"  :o

;D
« Last Edit: 14 November 2006, 23:47:45 by Iain »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 November 2006, 23:55:27 »

In response to a previous post..all trucks over 7.5 tonne and buses/coaches other than minibuses are not allowed in the outside lane of a 3 lane motorway...which is really annoying when the slow lane is empty and there is some tw*t in the middle lane doing 45 mph...its illegal to go into the outside lane and its illegal to undertake so what do you do?....
Does the M62 around Halifax at 6:00 in the morning not count then? I've been behind a good few of 'em in lane 3 at that time of the morning!!
« Last Edit: 15 November 2006, 00:06:56 by Andy_B »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 November 2006, 00:05:52 »

They have no idea what its like to be driving something big,no idea how long it takes to get it up to speed and more importantly NO IDEA HOW LONG IT NEEDS TO STOP  >:( .......

Does this work the other way round when your're doing 70 mph (it's all you can do on the M62 at 0600/0630 - it's not just waggon drivers that are up at 0 silly o'clock ) going west down hill on the M62 and all you can see in your mirrors is some tw4t feet from your arse end in an HGV that's freewheeling/coasting/fuse pulled from the speed limiter down the hill cos they want to gain another couple of minutes. They seem to get up set when you slow 'em down to some thing like they should already be doing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.