Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insignia Cdti,  (Read 5121 times)

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • Go faster Black MV6 Man
    • View Profile
Insignia Cdti,
« on: 19 August 2023, 10:27:56 »

Hi gents, as a lot of know I had an unfortunate meeting with a central reservation barrier in the old Mv6 recently, although was I adamant about purchasing a another motor, partly due to 21 Peugeot Partner company van, with allowable private use, I now find my eyes straying once again to the Vx range. to be honest chaps the insignia saloon never held any appeal for me, even in Vrx clothing the body shape just doesn't tick any boxes .But the estate, something about it that brings the whole look of the thing altogether, like Baileys and Ice. I have zero experience of soot suckers, never even sat in an Insignia and at at lean 6ft 5in will I struggle for comfort. What are its gremlins or horror stories. Obviously appreciate any info provided, so as not to be wasting anyone's time, Im looking at least going to look at an Vx line Estate, 2 owners, Full service history.. 71k. I suppose I could call up Dr Serek, but he's a busy bunny these days. And rather than Dr google I think real world good or bad reviews isthe way to go
Cheers

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Insignia Cdti,
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2023, 10:39:56 »

Mate of mine has one a saloon though, had it several years with no issues whatsoever he is also a big fella and never heard him complain, it's a diesel and extremely good on fuel.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2023, 10:47:29 »

Thanks for the reply buddy, Stage 2. make call find out if still available and its local, big step up from Mig though  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2023, 11:21:15 »

Is it the newer 1.6 diesel or the 2.0?
Diesel till I die

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2023, 11:40:27 »

2.0 Stemo, will view tomorrow

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2023, 11:58:22 »

2.0 Stemo, will view tomorrow
Same as my astra. As I've posted before, apart from the odd glow plug, I had no problems in around 100,000 miles.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2023, 11:59:27 »

Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2023, 16:59:19 »

The 6 speed manual is what finishes off most.  If you catch the bearing wear early enough, it's a £400 repair.  If you don't, it's a replacement box, which most places won't do, as all the 2nd hand boxes are semi shagged.

Plenty of info out there how to prove if wear is back on the gearbox - just search for 'M32 gearbox bearing' or similar
Grumpy old man

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2023, 18:12:29 »

OH S--t,   all that glitters is not gold, but thank you anyway, I admit omega mindset is hard to change, but I hardly used mine and seen it as cheap motoring, and certainly it would appear the manual box it came with didn't have bearings made from cheese, but it was taking on the look of a cheese grater.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2023, 19:09:48 »

I'd never ask about a car I was think of buying here, as you inevitably get loads of replies like the clutch is made of chocolate and bound to fail at 87500 miles or the hugimaflips are a bad design or the thingamebobs tend to overheat and fail!  :o  and I'd never buy anything!  :-X  ;D

The Vauxhall Insignia is a run of the mill family car like the Mondeo. There are millions of them going around and yes they do break down occasionally, but usually because of poor maintenance. If it's in good condition and looks like it's been looked after and has good history then what can possibly go wrong?  ::)  :)

Having said that there are 'friday' cars and some like my Mondeo have feelings!  ???  Everytime I say I'm going to sell it, something goes wrong with it!  :-\  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2023, 21:08:18 »

I'd never ask about a car I was think of buying here, as you inevitably get loads of replies like
Most "common issues" you find on most models are not so common enough that you are very likely to be impacted...

...however, I do mention the M32 box because when we were looking at Zaf-B diesels last year, every single one had a failing box.  Not helped by the transporter that took our Zaf-A, aka The Battlebus, away was full of 10 year old Insignia 2l CDTi's all with knackered boxes.

It wouldn't stop me buying one, but I'd go into it at least knowing what to check for before buying, and accepting its probably worthwhile to get the bearings replaced :)
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2023, 23:10:17 »

I'd never ask about a car I was think of buying here, as you inevitably get loads of replies like
Most "common issues" you find on most models are not so common enough that you are very likely to be impacted...

...however, I do mention the M32 box because when we were looking at Zaf-B diesels last year, every single one had a failing box.  Not helped by the transporter that took our Zaf-A, aka The Battlebus, away was full of 10 year old Insignia 2l CDTi's all with knackered boxes.

It wouldn't stop me buying one, but I'd go into it at least knowing what to check for before buying, and accepting its probably worthwhile to get the bearings replaced :)

Settle down TB I wasn't having a dig at you.  :)    Honest!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2023, 10:17:29 »

One of my colleagues has an Insignia the same age and mileage as my jag.  I reckon he has a major "standing by the roadside"  breakdown about every 6 weeks. Vauxhakls clearly aren't what they were.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2023, 11:48:14 »

One of my colleagues has an Insignia the same age and mileage as my jag.  I reckon he has a major "standing by the roadside"  breakdown about every 6 weeks. Vauxhakls clearly aren't what they were.
Neither Vauxhall nor Jaguar are high in the rankings

Reliability by brand for cars up to five years old
Rank   Brand   Score
1.   Lexus    98.4%
2.   Toyota   97.2%
=3.   Mini    97.0%
=3.   Mitsubishi   97.0%
=5.   Hyundai   95.8%
=5.   Suzuki   95.8%
7.   Kia   95.5%
8.   Mazda   95.2%
9.   MG   95.0%
10.   Dacia   94.4%
11.   Citroen    94.1%
12.   Honda   93.9%
13.   Skoda   93.8%
14.   Subaru   93.7%
15.   Seat   93.6%
16.   BMW   93.4%
17.   Volvo   92.9%
18.   Renault   92.5%
=19.   Porsche   91.6%
=19.   Tesla   91.6%
21.   Audi   91.1%
22.   Volkswagen    90.2%
=23.   Mercedes   89.5%
=23.   Vauxhall   89.5%
25.   Nissan    89.3%
26.   Jaguar   88.7%
27.   Ford   87.8%
28.   Peugeot   87.4%
29.   Alfa Romeo   87.3%
30.   Fiat   86.4%
31.   Land Rover   81.4%
32.   Jeep   77.0%

That's from 2022, btw
« Last Edit: 20 August 2023, 11:50:46 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2023, 11:54:00 »

Having said that, my last 5 cars have been Vauxhalls (Meriva, Astra H, Zafira B, Astra J, Astra K) and I've never had a major problem with any of them. Omega well before those five, which I did have problems with. Obviously never owned a Jag, so can't comment.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2023, 11:56:31 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2023, 12:08:24 »

Had 7 from that list over the last 10 years, and haven't broken down in any of them ,I just get them serviced properly & don't " tinker" with them myself.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 August 2023, 12:31:44 »

Had 7 from that list over the last 10 years, and haven't broken down in any of them ,I just get them serviced properly & don't " tinker" with them myself.
Same here, Mick. I don't want to risk breaking a fingernail  :)
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 August 2023, 12:34:28 »

Same here, Mick. I don't want to risk breaking a fingernail  :)

Heaven forbid..😂

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 August 2023, 15:03:27 »

Hoof'land storeman.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 August 2023, 18:36:31 »

What's the auto box like in the Insignificant?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 August 2023, 19:03:34 »

I've had my ML now for over 4 years & other than yearly servicing & tyres, I've not had to spend a penny on it ....  8)

wingman

• Intermediate Member
  • Hastings
    • Grandland GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 August 2023, 20:57:56 »

I had my auto 2.0 CDti Insignia Elite saloon for 5 years with no problem apart from one faulty glowplug. Comfortable to drive, good economy, but not exciting.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 August 2023, 07:57:53 »

The 6 speed manual is what finishes off most.  If you catch the bearing wear early enough, it's a £400 repair.  If you don't, it's a replacement box, which most places won't do, as all the 2nd hand boxes are semi shagged.

Plenty of info out there how to prove if wear is back on the gearbox - just search for 'M32 gearbox bearing' or similar

Insignia did not use the M32 (which was fully fixed as of around 2012), it had the F40 as the 2.0 CDTi had more then 320Nm of torque.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 August 2023, 10:16:57 »

Lexus / Toyota is to be expected really. They have long had a reputation for reliability. Bit Mini in joint third ? ! Do me a favour.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 August 2023, 10:18:50 »

Lexus / Toyota is to be expected really. They have long had a reputation for reliability. Bit Mini in joint third ? ! Do me a favour.  ;D

I can't decide if those tables reflect the reliability of the cars or the expectations of those who typically purchase them!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 August 2023, 11:07:47 »

What's the auto box like in the Insignificant?
Can't be any worse than the one in the Vectrum ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 August 2023, 11:13:50 »

Insignia did not use the M32 (which was fully fixed as of around 2012), it had the F40 as the 2.0 CDTi had more then 320Nm of torque.
Well, if that transportr was anything to go by, the F40 aint much coop either ;D

The M32 fix with larger (IIRC) bearings isn't a permanent fix, it just prolongs the inevitable.  I looked at loads of ZAF-Bs with the newer designed gearbox ends, and all had shagged boxes.  That said, our resident used car seller did tell me I was being ambitious with a £4k budget for a 100k, 10yr old car ;D, so was probably looking at the tripe end of stuff.

Hence increasing our budget a bit, and actually getting something decent and more what she wanted....   ...but not stretch to her dream car of an Evoque ;D
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 August 2023, 11:38:10 »

Well, if that transportr was anything to go by, the F40 aint much coop either ;D

The M32 fix with larger (IIRC) bearings isn't a permanent fix, it just prolongs the inevitable.  I looked at loads of ZAF-Bs with the newer designed gearbox ends, and all had shagged boxes.  That said, our resident used car seller did tell me I was being ambitious with a £4k budget for a 100k, 10yr old car ;D, so was probably looking at the tripe end of stuff.

Hence increasing our budget a bit, and actually getting something decent and more what she wanted....   ...but not stretch to her dream car of an Evoque ;D

There were no UK bound Zaf Bs ever built with the updated M32.

The fix (and it certainly does work) was a larger set of bearings, a new end plate to take them, improved bearing oiling and cooling.

I will send the apprentice around and she can try his Evoque, he has just had to order a new one and is a bit put out that he had to settle for the HSE as there were now Autobiographies available.  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 August 2023, 11:41:17 »

The fix (and it certainly does work) was a larger set of bearings, a new end plate to take them, improved bearing oiling and cooling.

I will send the apprentice around and she can try his Evoque, he has just had to order a new one and is a bit put out that he had to settle for the HSE as there were now Autobiographies available.  ;D
Poor lad. Surely that will affect his mental health?  ;D
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 August 2023, 12:45:17 »

My brother-in-law bought a brand new Jag XF around 2014/2015’ish and within three years of minimal mileage he’d got shot of it due to reliability issues. That stupid pop up automatic gear selector that they used in that era kept failing to pop up, so no gear could be selected. Also, the auto closing dash vents, that close automatically when you turn the ignition off, failed to close on some vents because of a cheap plastic cog that operates it split. He vowed he’d never own a Jag ever again.
At the same time that he purchased the new Jag he also bought a brand new Ford Transit Kombi Custom Sport. He still has the Transit so that tells you something.  :)

Oh, and a quick Google tells me that a million other XF’s suffered the same fate.  :y
« Last Edit: 21 August 2023, 12:56:41 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 August 2023, 12:56:27 »

So far (with many appendages clamped to the nearest wooden object), 'er Evoque hasn't been bad for an 8yr old/80k car. It had its original batteries replaced courtesy of the supplying dealer (possibly due to being stood for a while awaiting sale) and I've just changed the gearbox oil alongside the oil and filter service it was due- fixing the jerky gear change.

Beyond the above service items, the only thing that's actually gone wrong with it was a dpf error and some limp mode nonsense caused by a split hose. Annoying, but a simple inexpensive DIY fix.   

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 August 2023, 13:59:31 »

If that is the fix that has the obvious castings for the oil feed to the bearings, visible looking in by the NSF wheel, it was on all Zaf-Bs from about 2011, and some from 2010 registered ones.

Yeah, that could be expensive if he did pop round ;D.  Poor DTM Junior, "only" an HSE ;D
Grumpy old man

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 August 2023, 19:26:06 »

I have heard of many cases of the 2.0 diesesal Insignias being scrapped because of oil pump failure

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 August 2023, 19:47:58 »

I have heard of many cases of the 2.0 diesesal Insignias being scrapped because of oil pump failure
That's because stupid people take no notice of the flickering oil light at around 100,000 miles. The oil pump and pickup used to be one unit, but newer ones are separate, for some reason. The seal between the pump and pickup perishes and lets in air. I had mine done by a chap in Keighley before it had a chance to kill the engine.
Every car/engine/gearbox has horror stories on the interweb, but these are usually the exception rather than the rule. Anyone looking at this forum over the last ten years or so would never consider owning an omega, but lots of people get them over 200,000 with the correct maintenance.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2023, 19:50:44 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.