Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dancing tanker  (Read 2108 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Dancing tanker
« on: 06 January 2016, 13:36:48 »

In traffic I pulled up behind a 'small' fuel tanker ie a fixed chassis and not an articulated tractor & tanker set up. I then realised that the tanker was moving slightly on its suspension at the back. It's something I've never ever noticed before, do they all do it or was it carrying something specific that needed to be continuously 'stirred'?

I didn't imagine it ..... I took note when it stopped again  ;)
« Last Edit: 06 January 2016, 13:42:05 by Andy B »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Dancing tanker
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2016, 13:47:49 »

In traffic I pulled up behind a 'small' fuel tanker ie a fixed chassis and not an articulated tractor & tanker set up. I then realised that the tanker was moving slightly on its suspension at the back. It's something I've never ever noticed before, do they all do it or was it carrying something specific that needed to be continuously 'stirred'?

Too much congratulatory champagne perhaps.......Grandpa Beanz. ;D ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2016, 14:08:47 »

Too much congratulatory champagne perhaps.......Grandpa Beanz. ;D ::)

definitely not that ...... though I suspected that might have suggested  ;D ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2016, 14:13:50 »

Most tankers will "slosh" to an extent. It just depends how many compartments/baffles and how full as to how much ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2016, 14:16:00 »

The effect is made worse by poorly timed cadence braking or hard braking... As a lorry driver it was always fun to get the contents shifting in tank containers before the crane lifted it :-X As a crane driver it was a right PITA to stack if the lorry driver had done as previously mentioned! ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2016, 14:18:38 »

Most tankers will "slosh" to an extent. It just depends how many compartments/baffles and how full as to how much ;)

that's what I thought ..... but it appeared to start 'dancing' way after it'd come to a stop  ???

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2016, 14:19:51 »

that's what I thought ..... but it appeared to start 'dancing' way after it'd come to a stop  ???

Depending on number of axles it could still have near on 18k Litres on board  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2016, 14:22:28 »

No mystery..........three sheets to the wind. ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2016, 14:37:51 »

No mystery..........three sheets to the wind. ;D

;D ;D ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2016, 15:05:00 »

Wait until you see one come to a stop, and then 'hop' forward into the vehicle in front as the contents sloshes forwards :o

I've a friend who had to take a driving test as part of his interview to drive tankers; the only time in 25 years as professional driver that was the case.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2016, 15:11:35 »

Air suspension will exacerbate the effect as it constantly adjusts... even on a lightly loaded puddle jumper ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2016, 15:22:57 »

Did a tanker driving training course some years back ... 10 ish ?? ... On a disused airfield with a pre-wrecked and battered tanker we had to do a few of the "NEVER DO THIS" things  .. luckily it was only water inside  .... and lots of cones on the "road"

1. Enter a roundabout too fast and brake hard whilst turning right .... all the liquid ends up above your left ear and the lost of control is almost instant ... couple of the lads actually half rolled it ... I just demolished an awful lot of cones ! Apparently 70% of tanker incidents are on roundabouts ??

2. Approaching a T junction brake hard, then accelerate, then brake again ....  then hang on tight .. the "yoyo" effect of the liquid is somewhat amazing as you just slide across the ground

3. At a constant 56mph .. pull out to overtake a slower vehicle then pull straight back in whilst braking sharply (simulating that something has appeared to prevent the overtake) .. liquid now ends up over your right ear and you magically travel in to the oncoming lane ......

I decided there and then NOT to drive tankers unless very, very, empty ...  and never did  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2016, 17:35:54 »

That sounds like a fun course!  ;D  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2016, 18:00:05 »

I suppose, looked at differently, it could be described as "fun".. and if done as a "day out" it would be .... but at the time it was all a tad serious and hard work. The "pre-brief" included a video of a half full petrol tanker getting it wrong and taking out a building, rupturing the fuel tank and catching fire ... no mega explosions "james bond" style ... just a massive raging fire that was actually melting metal before your eyes .... sort of put it into a different perspective than "fun"

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2016, 18:03:13 »

I suppose, looked at differently, it could be described as "fun".. and if done as a "day out" it would be .... but at the time it was all a tad serious and hard work. The "pre-brief" included a video of a half full petrol tanker getting it wrong and taking out a building, rupturing the fuel tank and catching fire ... no mega explosions "james bond" style ... just a massive raging fire that was actually melting metal before your eyes .... sort of put it into a different perspective than "fun"
Pah! No sense of adventure, Mr Entwood :P
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.