Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb motorways ....  (Read 6530 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb motorways ....
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2020, 10:50:42 »

Smart motorways are for the idiots who think that heavy traffic on motorways is a problem, and not a solution to other, worse problems.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2020, 10:52:53 »

Maybe they could have better enforced the original rules of the motorway ie keep left. The number of times you see ****heads that sit for mile after mile in the middle lane or even lane 3 of 4. But there are no plod on the roads to police them

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2020, 10:55:15 »

Indeed, you could have four fenced in tracks with a twenty foot pole connecting each vehicle and someone WILL screw it all up ;D

I think we call those railways?  :D

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2020, 11:16:33 »

It will be fine when we all use autonomous vehicles that utilise block movement.  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2020, 11:17:00 »

Maybe they could have better enforced the original rules of the motorway ie keep left. The number of times you see ****heads that sit for mile after mile in the middle lane or even lane 3 of 4. But there are no plod on the roads to police them

keep left dates back to two-lane motorways and inadequately performing vehicles, so is decades out of date.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 January 2020, 11:52:02 »

Average is 17 minutes from stopping on a smart motorway, to getting hit :o..

Worse stretch I use is the Luton --Milton Keynes, regularly see people's carrying on along the hard shoulder, then realise, whoops, and pull straight back onto the carriageway..
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 January 2020, 11:54:47 »

keep left dates back to two-lane motorways and inadequately performing vehicles, so is decades out of date.

keep left still applies ..... overtake & move back left ie don't sit in the middle lane or outside lane for miles if you're able to move left

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 January 2020, 11:57:28 »

Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2020, 12:07:58 »

keep left still applies ..... overtake & move back left ie don't sit in the middle lane or outside lane for miles if you're able to move left

I know it still applies. My point is that it's no longer necessary, or even worthwhile. The 70mph speed limit is another; now that we're all used to variable limits(the only good part of smart motorways), raising the maximum to a conditional 90mph maximum is overdue.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2020, 12:34:45 »

Wasn't the minister who approved the smart motorways the same one that said, 'If you breakdown, just drive to the next junction'?

Without a single sign of a smirk on his face.

To me, these smart motorways are a cash cow. I use the same junctions 5 days a week, during rush hour, the speed limit is always 60. This doesn't matter what else is happening, like school holidays, where I can travel at 70mph in lane 2. They are always on. The only reason is to make money from the cameras. What it does mean, is that people now ignore the variable speed limit, do what speed they like and then anchor up for the camera , causing tailbacks and accidents before speeding back up.

Apparently, this is the future and a lot safer  :-X
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2020, 12:38:06 »

I know it still applies. My point is that it's no longer necessary, or even worthwhile. The 70mph speed limit is another; now that we're all used to variable limits(the only good part of smart motorways), raising the maximum to a conditional 90mph maximum is overdue.

I kind of agree that its no longer necessary, as in we should allow undertaking as they do in the U.S. where it works fine. The problem is that a lot of drivers in this country aren't safe with the current system and could easily be lethal if it was changed.
As things stand the keep left rule does still apply, and those who wilfully ignore it should be shot in front of their families imo.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2020, 12:45:15 »

The problem is that a lot of drivers in this country aren't safe with the current system and could easily be lethal if it was changed.
People don't look when on a normal road. Just last night as I approached traffic lights, 2 lanes, I'm in the left lane and the taxi driver on my right decided at the last minute he also wanted the left lane .... both lanes are for going forward .... a blast on the horn & he reconsidered  ::)

As things stand the keep left rule does still apply, and those who wilfully ignore it should be shot in front of their families imo.
:y :y

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2020, 12:50:49 »

I kind of agree that its no longer necessary, as in we should allow undertaking as they do in the U.S. where it works fine. The problem is that a lot of drivers in this country aren't safe with the current system and could easily be lethal if it was changed.
Undertaking is not allowed?  :o   :-X

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 January 2020, 13:01:06 »

There is no specific offence for undertaking. However, there is speeding and there is dangerous driving/driving without due care if you are weaving in and out.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 January 2020, 13:11:41 »

There is no specific offence for undertaking. However, there is speeding and there is dangerous driving/driving without due care if you are weaving in and out.
Not to mention causing an obstruction by failing to keep left when permitted  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.