Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Interviews for jobs in lockdown  (Read 12002 times)

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
Re: Interviews for jobs in lockdown
« Reply #60 on: 17 June 2021, 13:49:55 »

Just found out that a bloke that I used to sit next to at Lucas Industries in the early half of the 1990s, was the MD until a month ago and my old boss was head of quality and has been promoted to MD and immediately phoned me. 
I'll keep that one quiet then.
Worked it out on linkedin.
Small world is engineering.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 17 June 2021, 14:01:34 »

Get doing ;) Opportunities like that don't hang around, especially if they've called you. You obviously made an impression on him that stuck. Don't prove them wrong :y

Incidentally that's pretty much how I got my current job...

Happened to bump into a chap had I worked with 20 years ago, who suggested giving another chap I worked with at the same time, who happened to now be his boss. Interview three weeks later and the only questions were 'is what's being offered acceptable? And when can you start?'
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 17 June 2021, 17:33:45 »

Go for it and good luck  :y :y :y

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24 June 2021, 06:20:48 »

Teams interview didn't exactly go as planned.
3 people interviewing. Despite being.primed and well prepared, the issue for me was that the bug bods on the states was taking the 5 page job description and focusing on the parts of it that I have little experience of and which in previous discussions with.my old boss were not the parts of the job he wanted me to focus on.
I felt somewhat strained, and out of my depth at times.
I expect that the final say comes from.the top man and not the person who wants me and that if be working for.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 August 2021, 21:50:06 »

So, they decided (rightly) that the role wasn't right for me, but then contacted me 2 weeks ago, and asked me if I'd be interested in a different role. Come in and have a look at the around and discuss it, and if you like it, we can arrange interviews the following week. Didn't quite work out like that. Had a chat with the MD, my old boss, and 2 of his managers. Then a trip round the factory floor, and then he left me, with the 2 managers to have a chat.
Or interview ? Phones me on Saturday afternoon.
Job offer. Am I allowed to discuss money?
It's enough. More than I was expecting. Transferring from contracting via a LTD company to a permie PayE role, has some interesting tax implications. That it I'll pay more.
Now looking to side line the omega, into classic status and get something sensible for the stupid commute.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 04 August 2021, 22:14:24 »

So, they decided (rightly) that the role wasn't right for me, but then contacted me 2 weeks ago, and asked me if I'd be interested in a different role. Come in and have a look at the around and discuss it, and if you like it, we can arrange interviews the following week. Didn't quite work out like that. Had a chat with the MD, my old boss, and 2 of his managers. Then a trip round the factory floor, and then he left me, with the 2 managers to have a chat.
Or interview ? Phones me on Saturday afternoon.
Job offer. Am I allowed to discuss money?
It's enough. More than I was expecting. Transferring from contracting via a LTD company to a permie PayE role, has some interesting tax implications. That it I'll pay more.
Now looking to side line the omega, into classic status and get something sensible for the stupid commute.

:y :y Congratulations!  :y :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 04 August 2021, 22:18:12 »

Nice one Pod.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 04 August 2021, 22:47:00 »

Congrats :y

Being Paye gives some security too ;)

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 05 August 2021, 05:05:24 »

Congrats :y

Being Paye gives some security too ;)

I think in 12 years of contracting I've had 30 weeks without work, and only 9 weeks when I didn't know where the next ch contract was coming from. That's to say I was waiting for paperwork and security clearance.
And most of that was last year due to the Pandemic.
Until that point it would have been 8 weeks without work, and 3 weeks without knowing I had another contract.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 05 August 2021, 09:30:10 »

Contracting is glorified agency work... As long as you say yes, you will always find something to do.

Being Paye you know exactly where you are at (is what I meant by stability)  ;)

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 05 August 2021, 17:14:55 »

Contracting is glorified agency work... As long as you say yes, you will always find something to do.

Being Paye you know exactly where you are at (is what I meant by stability)  ;)

I see what you mean.  For me it's about stability in knowledge.

This is pretty much how I pitched the "Why do you want to move from a profitable career as a Freelancer, to a less profitable less tax efficient permie career..."

Over 12 years I've been allowed to do things that if they'd been looking for a permanent employee. They could take the risk, because 1 weeks notice, I'm available, and my CV is varied.
Things that I had to go and read up on and train myself in the evening, and transfer knowledge and hope it worked.
That's really stressful. This is where my imposter syndrome doesn't help, because whilst I sell myself as a Lean Six Sigma Expert, that expertise is really in high volume, high precision manufacturing, and I'm good at it because I know where and when I can take short cuts.
Suddenly in 2009 I'm apply lean principles to the refurbishment of Warrior Tanks, or to the Engineering Review System within an Aerospace company, or writting reports on the warranty claims of wind turbine high voltage electronics, or training 200 design engineers in Requirements Risk Analysis.
This job is in an industry I spent 15 years in, and on a walk around the factory it was possible to see "TIM WOOD" pissing himself laughing.

I'm going to teach them Chalk Circle Lean Assessment, as my first challenge. ;D

https://www.allaboutlean.com/chalk-circle/

http://theleanthinker.com/2007/07/09/the-chalk-circle/

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 05 August 2021, 17:23:06 »

Like so many very clever people, you seem to have a less than conventional outlook on life. That's not an insult. I can see a lot of my son in you. He is starting a PhD in September in applied probability, but he talks absolute shite.  ;D
Diesel till I die

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 05 August 2021, 22:28:57 »

Like so many very clever people, you seem to have a less than conventional outlook on life. That's not an insult. I can see a lot of my son in you. He is starting a PhD in September in applied probability, but he talks absolute shite.  ;D

Any particular shite? Or everything ? It's been said that I'm.not as other people. But I've done tests and was pronounced the most well.rounded personality they'd had.
Which probably.means I guess3d the answers they were looking for.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05 August 2021, 22:35:16 »

Any particular shite? Or everything ? It's been said that I'm.not as other people. But I've done tests and was pronounced the most well.rounded personality they'd had.
Which probably.means I guess3d the answers they were looking for.
Just day to day shite  ;D His idea of how things should work are 'out there', but he accepts this and doesn't take offence when I explain how things really work. He will eventually settle into himself and spend his time on the things that interest him, while leaving the things he doesn't understand to others. I admire him a lot, he is different but has a very pleasant disposition and will go far in his chosen field.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 05 August 2021, 22:37:49 »

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm slightly 'different' too  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.