Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplfier wire route  (Read 6416 times)

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Amplfier wire route
« Reply #30 on: 26 February 2009, 21:28:09 »

Through the bulkhead by squeezing the extra wire through the large grommets in the pollen filter housing, then down under the plastic kick strips. Not too bad a job once you've got the wire through the grommet.

Kevin
take the glove box out its so much easier!!

i found a wire coat hanger a big help when feeding the cable through the grommet  under the pollen filter

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #31 on: 26 February 2009, 22:38:42 »

Oh, and next time you see the Iceman,

say hi from Dave Watts & Sid Jervis

;)

I see  Iceman regular at shows and regular on the Phone TBH  ;)

Sign up on Streetbassers.co.uk and you will see most oldskoll chaps on there still!

Quite a few names I recognise there . .

Its been a few years since I last competed seriously, you never know, I may give it a go again someday. I have a load of old pictures from teh early days of competitions - might try and get them up on our website sometime.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 February 2009, 23:08:30 »

Althogh in my house i have a ten inch sub in 2cuft tuned to 25hz off 75wrms .....now thats efficency  Grin

There's me thinking I like loud music - and I'm currently listening to a 20 watt valve amp. ::)

i found a wire coat hanger a big help when feeding the cable through the grommet  under the pollen filter

Doug

Yep. It's a long way to reach up to find that grommet without.

In fact, given that the need is for 70 amps and thus the cable is not going to be desperately thin, I would be inclined to drill and grommet a new hole for it.

As to which side to run it, most of the car electrics goes down the passenger side so that is where I routed the power cable. The driver's side sill is pretty much free of electrics (only the radio antenna + phone prewiring IIRC) so that's a better bet for any signal cables.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Christian

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 February 2009, 09:34:17 »

Oh, and next time you see the Iceman,

say hi from Dave Watts & Sid Jervis

;)

I see  Iceman regular at shows and regular on the Phone TBH  ;)

Sign up on Streetbassers.co.uk and you will see most oldskoll chaps on there still!

Quite a few names I recognise there . .

Its been a few years since I last competed seriously, you never know, I may give it a go again someday. I have a load of old pictures from teh early days of competitions - might try and get them up on our website sometime.

That would be nice too see!
Nope i dont doo Sheep!

Christian

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 February 2009, 09:35:48 »

Althogh in my house i have a ten inch sub in 2cuft tuned to 25hz off 75wrms .....now thats efficency  Grin

There's me thinking I like loud music - and I'm currently listening to a 20 watt valve amp. ::)

Doug

In fact, given that the need is for 70 amps and thus the cable is not going to be desperately thin, I would be inclined to drill and grommet a new hole for it.

As to which side to run it, most of the car electrics goes down the passenger side so that is where I routed the power cable. The driver's side sill is pretty much free of electrics (only the radio antenna + phone prewiring IIRC) so that's a better bet for any signal cables.

Kevin

A valve Amp is my choice over the next coming months!
 watts of Valve tho is a diffrent kind of wattage  :D
Nope i dont doo Sheep!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 February 2009, 09:42:21 »

In-car as well? Now, that I'd like to see. :y

Well, they don't make your ears bleed when you start to run out of headroom, I suppose.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 February 2009, 09:46:05 »

Doug

Kevin

Utter drivel!

What parralel universe does this other type of wattage come from!

Valve amps differ in as much as when over driven they dont clip so hard......but they do have large amounts of 2nd harmonics (which makes them sound soft), average response, mega power hungry, stupidly expensive.....

I prefer a good Mosfet output stage with a single valve based pre-amp if its the valve 'style' you are after!

Much cheaper, more reliable, less power hungry!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #37 on: 27 February 2009, 10:28:27 »

Doug

Kevin

Utter drivel!

Valve amps differ in as much as when over driven they dont clip so hard......but they do have large amounts of 2nd harmonics (which makes them sound soft), average response, mega power hungry, stupidly expensive.....

I prefer a good Mosfet output stage with a single valve based pre-amp if its the valve 'style' you are after!

Heat output !!

Sod all to do with audio output, but is often likened to how many bars your fire has on

;D ;D ;D

I seem to recall that there was an In Car Valve Amp in the late nineties?  Can`t remember who did it, but retailed at around £3K if my thoughts are correct. Failed to hit the market miserably though.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 February 2009, 10:29:50 »

Lol, its not that long ago that all car radios had valves in them!

Christian

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 February 2009, 10:47:21 »

Doug

Kevin

Utter drivel!

Chill out Mark it was just a joke.

Meaning i prefere Valve Output than Normal Transistor Amplifictation  ;D

BUt within Car audio, USAmps make some wonderfull tube Amlifiers, although im into Car audio i think its a waste of time in a car sound deadened or not.

I dont care what anyone says you cant get 100 percent staging in a car! never mind perfect SQ.

Ide rather that in my House.

This is my Setup now

well...... a good few months back.
Only diffrence is now, ive got a Sub box and the cabeling has been managed!
« Last Edit: 27 February 2009, 11:06:00 by Christian »
Nope i dont doo Sheep!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 February 2009, 11:18:07 »

Blimey, I have not seen one of those Pinoeer Bi-P's for a long while.

Christian

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 February 2009, 11:25:05 »

I have a total of three Pioneer Amps.

2x SA-540's and one SA-520

One will be running through a Receiver for Sub use.
the 520 runs my  Goodmans Magnums
and the other runs my Mission 700's in my PC room.

I do like the Amps but ive heard alot better.
I actually prefere the sound of my Mates Yammy natural sound on the Magnums.

The pioneer seems in some what a little harsh compared to the natural sound.

My plan is to run my receiver for bottom end only and the Valve Amp through the Magnums.

The Magnums have been stored for 20 years and are in awsome condition, there also the best speaker ive ever heard.

A good present from my Father in Law.  :)

1972 iirc!
Nope i dont doo Sheep!

Martin_1962

« Reply #42 on: 27 February 2009, 20:18:12 »

I have Castle speakers in the house, my old Clydes are rears, Keep centre and Pembroke floor standers for front pair.

All driven off a Sony STRDB930 receiver and various sources, including DVD-A and SACD from my DVD Player

Christian

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 February 2009, 23:05:05 »

Would anyone recomend a first time owner Valve amp?

Ive heard a site called the affordable valve company but ive also heard there cheap for a reason?
Nope i dont doo Sheep!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28 February 2009, 01:32:57 »

Would anyone recomend a first time owner Valve amp?

You need to decide exactly what kind you like first, and what type of load you're driving.

I'm not a "single ended triode" fanatic at all, although I have heard one or two setups that sound great. An amp like this won't be at all tolerant of a modern speaker so you'll spend the rest of your days trying to find a speaker that'll be happy with it, and sensitive enough.

A reasonable push-pull pentode amp will drive most modern loads, develop enough output that you won't need super-sensitive speakers (although yours are from an era when sensitivity mattered, so are probably OK) and is probably a better starting point.

The problem with buying amps off the shelf is that most of the cost will be in the mains transformer and output transformers. If these have been skimped on and are not up to the job it's not straightforward or cheap to rectify the problem. Valve amps aren't too hard to build and that may be an option. Better in some ways to buy the best set of transformers you can afford and build the rest of the amp with cheap bits - then you have an upgrade path.

Other options might be to buy some old classic amps like a pair of Quad IIs. They are getting collectable now, unfortunately, so are often silly money but if you can pick up a pair in need of some work at least you know the iron is capable of good sound.

It's a shame because there used to be a lot of good kits around but they seem to be a little few and far between these days. Some nice ones here but a bit pricey! http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/AmpKits.html

Ask around on a few audio forums perhaps?

Kevin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.