Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT failed  (Read 2330 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: MOT failed
« Reply #30 on: 07 October 2009, 22:55:46 »

lolol nearly!!! the length of the trackrod dont change just because the joint is worn tho? just flaps about a bit!!! :y
I've seen track rod ends where the ball is so worn that it is easily able to alter the overall length by a good couple of millimetres.

Good point. In addition, I have seen pattern parts where the dimensions are different - e.g. the threaded section is a little longer which means it goes out if you just count the turns or screw it up to the locknut.

However, you know you've only put one side of the car out, a basic tracking measurement is only checking the angle between the front wheels so if you lock the steering wheel straight you know there's only one variable. It doesn't need a 4 wheel machine to measure it. A basic toe gauge is more than adequate.

Your biggest challenge will be getting the above across to the guy holding the spanner, who possibly wasn't ever that great at geometry. ::)

Kevin

Exactly, hence WIM - With my 3k miles a month, its worth the trip.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 October 2009, 23:03:32 »

Exactly, hence WIM - With my 3k miles a month, its worth the trip.

Rather than shell out 80 quid plus the petrol I think I'd give it a shot. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 October 2009, 23:17:22 »

Why not get WIM to fit it and alaign it, then you know it's right.  If you fit and a local garage tracks it then you are paying twice, plus if the get it wrong it could be extra wear on the tryes.  Lets face it, MOT and a WIM check with the mileage you do thats the car sorted for quite a while.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.