Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wall Collapse  (Read 4899 times)

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Collapse
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2021, 10:36:20 »

Hi,

Just having read the other posts while i've been writing mine

I wouldn't contact your insurance.

Your neighbours insurance company are most definitely passing the buck.

They are liable and they are trained to evade and pass it elsewhere wherever they can. This is the opening gambit and I reckon most folks do exactly what they are told.

I'd still send the letter to your neighbour. You are ideally looking to start a discussion direct with her insurance company. If you send her/him the letter, they will be arguing for that too.

What about injury lawyers for you, or similar. I'm sure they'd be licking their lips?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2021, 10:39:40 »

Cheers again Guys.

Yes with a good clean up of the broken glass...new passenger door glass and back passenger side quarter glass car looks like it should be driveable if abit tatty .

I have legal cover on both my house and car insurance so if need be can go that route ,but think I will avoid involving either of my insurance companies until I have spoken to the assessor from their company .

Will see how he intends putting me back into the position I was before that accident ,as that is in my mind the purpose of insurance ,and we can go from there.I have written off todays work now as my work doesnt have an on/off tap as booked by appointments which I have already moved to next week.

Im happy to proceed with a hire car ,as long as there insurance are footing the bill for it ,otherwise  they can cover my loss of average earnings per day .

Not quite sure why I would involve my car insurers at this stage .

Appreciate your words of advise TG on letters etc ,but will keep things civil until assessor has advised how they intend dealing with it first.....watch this space.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2021, 11:24:32 »

DO NOT claim for your own car insurance. That just lets your neighbour and their insurance company off the hook.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2021, 11:38:33 »

Use the word indemnity when speaking to the other parties assessor, I was being messed about with a claim about 10 years ago, I spoke with a colleague who previously worked in the insurance industry who advised me what exactly to say to them, their attitude completely changed and my claim was settled satisfactorily, sounds silly I know but it worked for me.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2021, 12:32:46 »

Buy it back and keep using it. The damage will be entirely cosmetic unless it has actually crushed the car.

Also remove the debris piece by piece starting from the top.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2021, 12:56:00 »

I would be kicking back heavily against any act of god claims.

A well constructed and maintained wall would not fall over in any wind let alone what we have had in the last 24 hours.............if they do take that stance they need to evidence the other local structures that were similarly impacted

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2021, 13:05:14 »

It's definitely your neighbours wall? It's not a party wall?
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2021, 13:11:54 »

We had some pretty hefty gusts through here last night... Here being Sussex Downs.  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2021, 14:12:48 »

No its neighbours wall and it continues along the side of their property also.It was around 2.0mtrs high and has been standing for the past 40+years albeit in recent years when talking to them they have commented that it was leaning abit so imagine the gusts here have caught it just right and send it beyond the point on "no return".

Nick W kindly called past earlier and has assessed things with a more critical eye than mine.

Whilst all panels from back to front on the NS have scuffs/dents etc they appear to be ok with the exception of quite a large dent in the front wing.

Have worked out that with front passenger glass/back passenger side fixed quarter light glass/passenger side door mirror complete ,car would then be usable albit it a tad scruffy.

Further parts ideally would be both NS doors assuming colour match Z20R is possible/front NS wing ideally in Z20R but less critical as can be painted and both rear wing clear light clusters .

The remaining body work marks would then need filling/pulling and entire side of car painting.

That would be my plan assuming a realistic settlement figure is achieved from their insurance company who have now advised my neighbour they will not be out until tomorrow .I intend writing a letter this afternoon which I will advise them I have now lost the use of my work transport today and due to the driveway and debris inside my car not likely to be cleared away at the earliest until tomorrow I intend also claiming for 2 days minimum loss revenue being self employed.

A wanted add will be posted shortly for the parts required to get the car road worthy and will take things from there.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 May 2021, 14:14:14 »

We had some pretty hefty gusts through here last night... Here being Sussex Downs.  :-\
Had a few gust thumps here in BSE last night. I'm surprised that my tightarsed neighbours fence is still intact.  ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 May 2021, 21:52:19 »

DO NOT claim for your own car insurance. That just lets your neighbour and their insurance company off the hook.

This ^^^^^^
 It's not your accident, it's a property claim against your neighboor, for the brick wall which they insured and fell on your car.  Or put it in reverse, if you had driven your car into the wall would they claim off their household policy?? I think not.. Ring your neighbors insurance company, don't talk to Tracy or Bob, speak to a Claims manager,, you are going to have to fight,..
Hoof'land storeman.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2021, 22:25:08 »

Will go to bed tonight with a much clearer plan moving forward with this.

Intend making no further speculations until I have spoken to their insurance companies assessor tomorrow assuming he does visit.Once I see how they wish to resolve this I will then make a decision if it suits me or not and go from there.

Have nearly managed to source the bits required to atleast get car driveable/weatherproof and with all essential parts replaced so getting myself mobile again should be within a few days,so I can clearly demonstrate I am mitigating my losses which could start racking up quite quickly.

Fingers crossed common sense will prevail tomorrow .

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2021, 10:40:22 »

Your neighbour's insurers know a policy will be in place to cover your car so that will be their first port of call when wriggling out of any responsibility.  :(

They'll probably only be interested in talking to you if they think that would be a cheaper route than accepting the risk that your insurers might try to claim their costs from them.

It might be worth asking for a full and final settlement figure from their assessor to see what he says but be very clear that he will be hearing from your insurers if it's not forthcoming. Point out that a hire car and loss of earnings will be involved and that might encourage them to accept a generous settlement rather than get involved in wrangling over costs.

To be honest, given that loss of earnings is something you'll presumably be pursuing, if you have legal cover on your car / home insurance, now would be a good time to get them involved.

If you've got to fall back on your car insurance, do it as soon as you get the feeling that her insurers are fobbing you off. If you've sat on the claim for days and then phone them, it'll look suspicious.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2021, 10:52:10 »

Thanks Kevin.

Will see if their accessor turns up today and what he intends doing first.

Just 1 question though would i involve my home insurance company or my car insurers..assume the latter as the wall is property but hers...car is mine....just didnt want to start the inevitable course with car insurance of premium increase etc

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2021, 13:31:52 »

Thought this was going to turn into a fiasco.

Neighbours assessor needs to check land registry to establish ownership of wall and also states that as windspeed was above 47mph it is classified as " Act Of God" and wouldnt be covered on either policy.

My building insurance have said similar and they will not even view as they need to establish wall ownership which is being dealt with anyway.

My car insurance company have also stated that as ownership cannot be establish and their policy of windspeed is above 37mpg again "Act Of God" and not covered .They have advised that they believe car is a total loss and have valued it at £820 using mileage and guide prices from market.Less my excess they are prepared to remove and dispose of my car and give me £420 back.

Just going outside now to shout/scream and start clearing a huge pile of bricks from my driveway as no other fec..er that I pay my insurance for is prepared to .Looks like 2nd hand parts required and will restore car to working order . >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.