Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: New exhaust advice V6 Elite 3.0i  (Read 2585 times)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
New exhaust advice V6 Elite 3.0i
« on: 30 June 2008, 22:22:35 »

hi all

booked in for an mot on weds, i think the exhaust might need replacing as it blows a little bit on start up. advice needed in this dept, what route should i go down, genuine gm parts on my trade card i imagine but anyone got an idea of price or parts? something thats going to last a long time.

this is the existing one; of course i'd love to go down the irmscher stainless tailpipe route but not sure thats going to happen somehow!

« Last Edit: 30 June 2008, 22:24:14 by ilovemyelite »
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

feeutfo

Re: New exhaust advice V6 Elite 3.0i
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2008, 22:33:52 »

i found out after selling my old 99 cdx that the blowing on start up thing may well have been the secondary air pump( is that right,anybody?), blows air into the exhaust on start up for emissions or cat warming or something like that.
Anyway if thats the case, your exhausst may be fine. Someone will advise further i am sure.  

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2008, 22:37:20 »

i found out after selling my old 99 cdx that the blowing on start up thing may well have been the secondary air pump( is that right,anybody?), blows air into the exhaust on start up for emissions or cat warming or something like that.
Anyway if thats the case, your exhausst may be fine. Someone will advise further i am sure.  

my 2ndary air pump is playing up but ive got a replacement for that and this is definitely the exhaust. thanks for the heads up anyway  :y
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2008, 22:40:17 »

Double check to be sure. I was convinced my exhaust was blowing on my old 2.5 , it was very chuffy and noisy. Turned out to be a split rubber pipe at the front of the engine, nothing to do with the exhaust, but it did sound exactly like an exhaust blow.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2008, 23:15:16 »

blowing ex will blow all the time in my experience. The fact that it stops when warm suggests sa pump. But you sound pretty sure. Albatross and others has just had an ex. made for fair price. Pics on here, worth a search.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2008, 23:26:02 »

Could it be the exhaust manifold gasket ??  These have a tendency to only blow when cold .. usually as a "ticking" noise .. especially if pattern parts have been used.

These are the ones changed at the Lakes .. major difference you'll agree ...

JueV6

• Omega Knight
  • Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2008, 00:02:38 »

I did mine while the lakes meet was on. It blew when cold but as soon as it warmed up it stipped.

Mine was worse the on in entwoods pic.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2008, 00:04:38 »

maybe i'll get a surprise at the mot test then when they say 'this exhaust is in good nick' hehehe

thanks for the advice, i'll see what they say on weds and report back. fingers crossed she'll sail through...
PM with your requests.

JueV6

• Omega Knight
  • Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2008, 00:05:51 »

Good luck mate :y

Alex Wood

• Greenhithe, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2008, 00:13:19 »

I went for a Jetex cat back system, v pleased with it except it vibrates when I put the power on round a left-hander, must get round to jiggling it around and changing the mounts. Sounds lovely the rest of the time though. The rubber pipe on my air cutoff valve split the day after I fitted the new exhaust. I heard it and thought, "Can I really be that incompetent?"

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2008, 16:49:18 »

maybe i'll get a surprise at the mot test then when they say 'this exhaust is in good nick' hehehe

thanks for the advice, i'll see what they say on weds and report back. fingers crossed she'll sail through...

ask them about it.... after they have passed it ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2008, 17:45:28 »

a note re mot's to "anyone" reading this. mot tests can be taken WELL before the expiry date of your current crtificate. thus giving time to rectify faults while the car is still legal to drive, as you will still have time left on your current cert. if it fails.
   Sorry, one of my pets that one.
Hope helps. :y

trebor

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2008, 19:26:48 »

a note re mot's to "anyone" reading this. mot tests can be taken WELL before the expiry date of your current crtificate. thus giving time to rectify faults while the car is still legal to drive, as you will still have time left on your current cert. if it fails.

I was told that with the new system, that if you have an MOT test and your car still has weeks, even months on the current certificate, and it then subsequently fails, then your car has no valid MOT!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2008, 20:33:26 »

I was told that with the new system, that if you have an MOT test and your car still has weeks, even months on the current certificate, and it then subsequently fails, then your car has no valid MOT!

This is correct .. if a car fails an MOT it is considered unroadworthy, and the computer will know this.. it is also illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle, and as you have just been told it's unroadworthy  you can't really argue !!! Old system where it was just a bit of paper you could "lose" the fail certificate .. computer based system .. you can't . Your insurance is also invalid .. and the insurance company can get the MOT information quite easily ..
« Last Edit: 01 July 2008, 20:34:50 by entwood »

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2008, 22:06:18 »

This is correct .. if a car fails an MOT it is considered unroadworthy, and the computer will know this.. it is also illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle, and as you have just been told it's unroadworthy  you can't really argue !!! Old system where it was just a bit of paper you could "lose" the fail certificate .. computer based system .. you can't . Your insurance is also invalid .. and the insurance company can get the MOT information quite easily ..

but can can still drive to and from the MOT test station or garage that is doing the remedial work???
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2008, 06:51:22 »

Yep and no...still can drive to MOT station for its prebooked MOT/retest but cant drive to a garage for remedial work...
« Last Edit: 02 July 2008, 06:52:36 by ShieldOfSteel »
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2008, 08:31:43 »

The refusal document says on the back 'if you intend to use your vehicle on the road,you should have it repaied without delay and retested before the existing test validity expires'

That implies to me that the previous MOT IS still valid at the time you are reading the refusal and you can still drive it.   So you can get the test done 1 month early and have a month to fix any issues - such as the op's exhaust.

Also,
The MOT web site says
It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

-taking it to a test station for a test booked in advance
-bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the test, to a place of repair
-taking it to or bringing it away from a place where, by previous arrangement, repairs are to be made or have been made to fix the problems that caused the vehicle to fail its test

the last bullet says that you can take it to be repaired.

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2008, 08:44:24 »

Learn something new every day...didnt realise the exceptions extended to the pre booked repairs too...cool :)

Must admit I thought it was ok to drive with MOT valid...but if police stop you they are aware of the failure so can do you for it if not rectified...
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2008, 10:30:55 »

I guess it depends what the failure was for..
bald tyre would obviously be illegal to drive on and a MOT fail
cracked windscreen as far as I know is not illegal per se even if it would fail mot at the next test.

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2008, 15:57:50 »

but can can still drive to and from the MOT test station or garage that is doing the remedial work???

Double checked with large MOT test centre next to work. I am talking rubbish,:-[ rules changed with new system. Once failed, old cert. no longer valid, computer record over rides all.    
 Changed a shock on sisters punto couple of months back after early failed test, and her test centre said old test still valid. Obviously not.

Still at least i dont have to feed that pet anymore.::)

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2008, 16:08:09 »

ps how did the mot go re exhaust by the way. Today wasnt it?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2008, 16:30:32 »

Double checked with large MOT test centre next to work. I am talking rubbish,Embarrassed rules changed with new system. Once failed, old cert. no longer valid, computer record over rides all.  

How stupid is that?

So, I get my car tested in advance of the old certificate expiring and, if it fails, I'm off the road until it's rectified regardless of the fact that I still have a valid MOT certificate in my hand?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2008, 16:48:25 »

yay, passed with flying colours  :y

however, as an advisory the exhaust is indeed nearing the end of its lifespan and will need replacing shortly. i need a new back box and ideally the twin pipes from backbox into cat area. this is all new territory for me so am open to all suggestions. its going to need sorting pretty soon so would appreciate the advice of those on here.

im looking for long life, open to the idea of a stainless one, that sounds and looks nice on the car.

thanks in advance for advice  :y
PM with your requests.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2008, 16:53:50 »

Double checked with large MOT test centre next to work. I am talking rubbish,Embarrassed rules changed with new system. Once failed, old cert. no longer valid, computer record over rides all.  

How stupid is that?

So, I get my car tested in advance of the old certificate expiring and, if it fails, I'm off the road until it's rectified regardless of the fact that I still have a valid MOT certificate in my hand?

Kevin

Kevin et al,
I don't believe this is correct, regardless of what the mechanic or anyone down the pub might say.   My interpretation of the wording on the current fail paperwork is that the old MOT is still valid until it expires.  

Cheers,
Ian

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 02 July 2008, 17:14:48 »

ah, are we heading for a fifty fifty split on divided opinions? I looked on a couple of forums one re insurance and similar division on there. Also there was a high number of posts saying new "cert." is more of a receipt than proof as its the computer data that is all important.
 On the other hand. I am with Kevin
on this one. What ever is the case I THINK the MOT SHOULD be valid for a year.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 July 2008, 17:28:14 »

ah, are we heading for a fifty fifty split on divided opinions? I looked on a couple of forums one re insurance and similar division on there. Also there was a high number of posts saying new "cert." is more of a receipt than proof as its the computer data that is all important.
 On the other hand. I am with Kevin
on this one. What ever is the case I THINK the MOT SHOULD be valid for a year.

I'm with Kevin.
Things like a bald tyre, or any other major MOT'able fault will make the vehicle unroadworthy whether there's a month left on the MOT or whether it was MOT'd the day before.
IMHO the provision of a 13 month MOT is to allow your vehicle to emain legal on the road while you arrange for repairs to be made/buy the parts in.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 July 2008, 17:37:57 »

that is my understanding too Andy, passed on reading the official paperwork rather than hearsay.

obviously anything that makes the car dangerous is a different matter entirely.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #27 on: 02 July 2008, 19:46:16 »

from my nice new mot certificate, issued 02 07 08:

"to preserve the anniversary of the expiry date the earliest you an present your vehicle for it's next test is 02 06 09"

so looks like you can only test a month in advance now.
PM with your requests.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 July 2008, 19:48:32 »

from my nice new mot certificate, issued 02 07 08:

"to preserve the anniversary of the expiry date the earliest you an present your vehicle for it's next test is 02 06 09"

so looks like you can only test a month in advance now.

Has been the case as far back as I can remember.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 July 2008, 19:54:40 »

May be able to do you a decent exhaust if the ones on the new cars I'm getting are gen vaux and decent condition...  ::)
« Last Edit: 02 July 2008, 19:55:16 by ShieldOfSteel »

feeutfo

« Reply #30 on: 02 July 2008, 20:37:43 »

seems a bit backward to me,although system as a whole its a massive improvement, i mean the idea of an early test is to find fault earlyer with the obvious intention of rectifying. There by correcting earlier. Now tho, if we believe the current change to be correct, there is no point testing early as you simply loose what ever portion of time off the end of your mot period. So your fault will go undetected for longer.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 July 2008, 21:14:02 »

From the MOTESTER site ...

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-retest.html

NOTE: It should also be noted that should a vehicle be submitted for an MOT Test whilst still having an unexpired and valid MOT pass certificate, and fail the inspection, the original pass certificate remains legally valid until it expires. However, should any vehicle have developed faults which renders it un-roadworthy in legal terms, it would be unlawful to use it on the road irrespective of whether or not it has a current and valid MOT pass certificate.

HTH

feeutfo

« Reply #32 on: 02 July 2008, 21:44:08 »

yay, passed with flying colours  :y

however, as an advisory the exhaust is indeed nearing the end of its lifespan and will need replacing shortly. i need a new back box and ideally the twin pipes from backbox into cat area. this is all new territory for me so am open to all suggestions. its going to need sorting pretty soon so would appreciate the advice of those on here.

im looking for long life, open to the idea of a stainless one, that sounds and looks nice on the car.

thanks in advance for advice  :y

Wahay. Happy miging. Never did an exhaust myself. Just got a wack from behind by a mental blond 2 feet from my bumper for 5 miles then bang! Did me a favour, old system shot through. Her insurance got me complete oe system up to the cats i think. Oh thats not advice by they way. ;)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #33 on: 04 July 2008, 00:03:06 »

::)

can anyone advise re gm exhaust, need parts all the way up to  join where the pipes with cats start. wondered if anyone had an idea re costs and any general advice. ie 'avoid that' or 'go for that' etc etc ;-)

thanks to those who have pm'd me about stainless custom exhausts.

its a twin exhaust system, 3.0i elite im after. is it the case that the gm exhausts come with lifetime warranty? might be worth dusting off the trade card if thats the case...
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #34 on: 04 July 2008, 14:08:44 »

this doesnt sound right but maybe i was just diluded...

called vx and asked how much genuine gm exhaust system will be: backbox and twin pipes from back box to the pipes that house the cats.

£451.35 without tradecard
£384.42 with tradecard

1 year warranty

if this is true its cheaper for me to get a custom stainless one made and fitted.

anyone verify if the quotes above sound accurate??
PM with your requests.

Derek_in_Penzance

• Penzance, Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 July 2008, 18:19:39 »

Double check to be sure. I was convinced my exhaust was blowing on my old 2.5 , it was very chuffy and noisy. Turned out to be a split rubber pipe at the front of the engine, nothing to do with the exhaust, but it did sound exactly like an exhaust blow.

I've just had exactly the same thing!
Go to Facebook and become a Fan of the GM6 Spares Facebook page. Omegas dismantling, mail order parts & servicing. Tech 2 services available.

feeutfo

« Reply #36 on: 04 July 2008, 19:07:33 »

Yes  i had forgotten, if MOT passed presume exhaust is fine. So what is causing the blowing exhaust noise?

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #37 on: 05 July 2008, 12:28:14 »

exhaust mainfold gasket probably needs replacing, but the exhaust itself as mentioned above isnt going to hold out much longer. just wondered if the quote id been given was in keeping with what others had experienced from vx... thought it would be a lot lower than they had quoted me to be honest and if thats the case id rather go get a stainless one for less money!!!!

any aftermarket ones that are any good if i dont go down the stainless route?
PM with your requests.

nemo

• Tonbridge Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 July 2008, 14:06:44 »

bought new exhaust from cats back a couple of weeks ago for my 1997 elite cost £290 on TC from main dealer.

nemo

• Tonbridge Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 July 2008, 14:07:55 »

P.S. that includes the dreaded 17.5% ;)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #40 on: 05 July 2008, 14:24:23 »

bought new exhaust from cats back a couple of weeks ago for my 1997 elite cost £290 on TC from main dealer.

did that include fitting? they must have got it wrong at the place i called, that price i mentioned before didnt include fitting!!  :o  i'll try em again on monday...
« Last Edit: 05 July 2008, 14:24:51 by ilovemyelite »
PM with your requests.

FRE07962128

« Reply #41 on: 05 July 2008, 14:41:10 »

seems a bit backward to me,although system as a whole its a massive improvement, i mean the idea of an early test is to find fault earlyer with the obvious intention of rectifying. There by correcting earlier. Now tho, if we believe the current change to be correct, there is no point testing early as you simply loose what ever portion of time off the end of your mot period. So your fault will go undetected for longer.

I am pleased to say that is not the case, providing you have your vehicle tested within one month of your current MOT expiring, as any time left on it (for up to the month) is added to the new MOT. Therefore this new MOT will cover you for the next 12 months, plus any 'unused' time left on the old MOT. :y :y :y

Also all of us should remember that a MOT only covers you for the condition of the vehicle found to be the case on the actual day of the test.  Any subsequent failure / wear of a part that takes place, even the day after the MOT, and causes the vehicle to be deemed  "unroadworthy", results in the use of the said vehicle to be in contrevention of the Road Traffic Act and you are then liable to prosecution.  Thus no matter how long the MOT or not, it is the actual roadworthiness of the vehicle that overrides it at any time. :y

« Last Edit: 05 July 2008, 14:41:52 by FRE07962128 »

nemo

• Tonbridge Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 July 2008, 15:39:49 »

sorry but that price did not include fitting. :y

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 July 2008, 21:30:16 »

You can drive the car to and from the MOT station or a place of repair providing you have A PRE BOOKED APPOINTMENT
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 July 2008, 21:34:50 »

Will get the part number for you tomorrow mate for the backbox as I have one sitting in the garage...if I can see under the estate easily will get the mid box part numbers for you too...can get you full genuine second hand one for £100 all genuine...

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 06 July 2008, 00:52:15 »

[/quote]

I am pleased to say that is not the case, providing you have your vehicle tested within one month of your current MOT expiring, as any time left on it (for up to the month) is added to the new MOT. Therefore this new MOT will cover you for the next 12 months, plus any 'unused' time left on the old MOT. :y :y :y

Also all of us should remember that a MOT only covers you for the condition of the vehicle found to be the case on the actual day of the test.  Any subsequent failure / wear of a part that takes place, even the day after the MOT, and causes the vehicle to be deemed  "unroadworthy", results in the use of the said vehicle to be in contrevention of the Road Traffic Act and you are then liable to prosecution.  Thus no matter how long the MOT or not, it is the actual roadworthiness of the vehicle that overrides it at any time. :y

[/quote]

Absolutely correct  :)

BTW I believe there is another exemption to driving following an MOT failure not so far metioned. Taking the vehicle to a breakers yard for the purpose of scrapping  :y

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 July 2008, 10:44:41 »

I dont think that the breakers trip is correct...as you dont pre book it therefore cant prove thats what your doing if you get stopped on the way...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.