Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New exhaust advice V6 Elite 3.0i  (Read 2669 times)

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
Re: New exhaust advice V6 Elite 3.0i
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2008, 06:51:22 »

Yep and no...still can drive to MOT station for its prebooked MOT/retest but cant drive to a garage for remedial work...
« Last Edit: 02 July 2008, 06:52:36 by ShieldOfSteel »
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2008, 08:31:43 »

The refusal document says on the back 'if you intend to use your vehicle on the road,you should have it repaied without delay and retested before the existing test validity expires'

That implies to me that the previous MOT IS still valid at the time you are reading the refusal and you can still drive it.   So you can get the test done 1 month early and have a month to fix any issues - such as the op's exhaust.

Also,
The MOT web site says
It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

-taking it to a test station for a test booked in advance
-bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the test, to a place of repair
-taking it to or bringing it away from a place where, by previous arrangement, repairs are to be made or have been made to fix the problems that caused the vehicle to fail its test

the last bullet says that you can take it to be repaired.

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2008, 08:44:24 »

Learn something new every day...didnt realise the exceptions extended to the pre booked repairs too...cool :)

Must admit I thought it was ok to drive with MOT valid...but if police stop you they are aware of the failure so can do you for it if not rectified...
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2008, 10:30:55 »

I guess it depends what the failure was for..
bald tyre would obviously be illegal to drive on and a MOT fail
cracked windscreen as far as I know is not illegal per se even if it would fail mot at the next test.

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2008, 15:57:50 »

a note re mot's to "anyone" reading this. mot tests can be taken WELL before the expiry date of your current crtificate. thus giving time to rectify faults while the car is still legal to drive, as you will still have time left on your current cert. if it fails.
   Sorry, one of my pets that one.
Hope helps. :y

I was told that with the new system, that if you have an MOT test and your car still has weeks, even months on the current certificate, and it then subsequently fails, then your car has no valid MOT!

This is correct .. if a car fails an MOT it is considered unroadworthy, and the computer will know this.. it is also illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle, and as you have just been told it's unroadworthy  you can't really argue !!! Old system where it was just a bit of paper you could "lose" the fail certificate .. computer based system .. you can't . Your insurance is also invalid .. and the insurance company can get the MOT information quite easily ..

but can can still drive to and from the MOT test station or garage that is doing the remedial work???

Double checked with large MOT test centre next to work. I am talking rubbish,:-[ rules changed with new system. Once failed, old cert. no longer valid, computer record over rides all.    
 Changed a shock on sisters punto couple of months back after early failed test, and her test centre said old test still valid. Obviously not.

Still at least i dont have to feed that pet anymore.::)

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2008, 16:08:09 »

ps how did the mot go re exhaust by the way. Today wasnt it?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2008, 16:30:32 »

Double checked with large MOT test centre next to work. I am talking rubbish,Embarrassed rules changed with new system. Once failed, old cert. no longer valid, computer record over rides all.  

How stupid is that?

So, I get my car tested in advance of the old certificate expiring and, if it fails, I'm off the road until it's rectified regardless of the fact that I still have a valid MOT certificate in my hand?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2008, 16:48:25 »

ps how did the mot go re exhaust by the way. Today wasnt it?

yay, passed with flying colours  :y

however, as an advisory the exhaust is indeed nearing the end of its lifespan and will need replacing shortly. i need a new back box and ideally the twin pipes from backbox into cat area. this is all new territory for me so am open to all suggestions. its going to need sorting pretty soon so would appreciate the advice of those on here.

im looking for long life, open to the idea of a stainless one, that sounds and looks nice on the car.

thanks in advance for advice  :y
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2008, 16:53:50 »

Double checked with large MOT test centre next to work. I am talking rubbish,Embarrassed rules changed with new system. Once failed, old cert. no longer valid, computer record over rides all.  

How stupid is that?

So, I get my car tested in advance of the old certificate expiring and, if it fails, I'm off the road until it's rectified regardless of the fact that I still have a valid MOT certificate in my hand?

Kevin

Kevin et al,
I don't believe this is correct, regardless of what the mechanic or anyone down the pub might say.   My interpretation of the wording on the current fail paperwork is that the old MOT is still valid until it expires.  

Cheers,
Ian

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 02 July 2008, 17:14:48 »

ah, are we heading for a fifty fifty split on divided opinions? I looked on a couple of forums one re insurance and similar division on there. Also there was a high number of posts saying new "cert." is more of a receipt than proof as its the computer data that is all important.
 On the other hand. I am with Kevin
on this one. What ever is the case I THINK the MOT SHOULD be valid for a year.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 July 2008, 17:28:14 »

ah, are we heading for a fifty fifty split on divided opinions? I looked on a couple of forums one re insurance and similar division on there. Also there was a high number of posts saying new "cert." is more of a receipt than proof as its the computer data that is all important.
 On the other hand. I am with Kevin
on this one. What ever is the case I THINK the MOT SHOULD be valid for a year.

I'm with Kevin.
Things like a bald tyre, or any other major MOT'able fault will make the vehicle unroadworthy whether there's a month left on the MOT or whether it was MOT'd the day before.
IMHO the provision of a 13 month MOT is to allow your vehicle to emain legal on the road while you arrange for repairs to be made/buy the parts in.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 July 2008, 17:37:57 »

that is my understanding too Andy, passed on reading the official paperwork rather than hearsay.

obviously anything that makes the car dangerous is a different matter entirely.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #27 on: 02 July 2008, 19:46:16 »

a note re mot's to "anyone" reading this. mot tests can be taken WELL before the expiry date of your current crtificate. thus giving time to rectify faults while the car is still legal to drive, as you will still have time left on your current cert. if it fails.

from my nice new mot certificate, issued 02 07 08:

"to preserve the anniversary of the expiry date the earliest you an present your vehicle for it's next test is 02 06 09"

so looks like you can only test a month in advance now.
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 July 2008, 19:48:32 »

from my nice new mot certificate, issued 02 07 08:

"to preserve the anniversary of the expiry date the earliest you an present your vehicle for it's next test is 02 06 09"

so looks like you can only test a month in advance now.

Has been the case as far back as I can remember.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 July 2008, 19:54:40 »

May be able to do you a decent exhaust if the ones on the new cars I'm getting are gen vaux and decent condition...  ::)
« Last Edit: 02 July 2008, 19:55:16 by ShieldOfSteel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.