Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Admiral warning  (Read 5070 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Admiral warning
« on: 24 November 2020, 18:34:47 »

One to catch you out.

If you have a fully comp policy with Admiral, you may not necessarily have cover to driver other cars, as they put a whole load of restrictions on.

In Mrs TB's case, on the Multicar policy we took out, she was the Policy Holder for TBE.  However, as she is not the registered keeper of TBE - I am - this meant she was not insured to drive other cars.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Admiral warning
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2020, 18:39:48 »

Driving other cars cover isn't routinely provided as standard, and if it is offered, it is usually Third Party only, which makes it a moot point.

Obviously it depends on your circumstances, but being a named driver on policies of cars you regularly drive  ought to be sufficient.
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2020, 18:44:34 »

Mrs TB must have done lots of research to find a policy which means she can't/doesn't have to drive the Zafira tractor  ;D

sell her the Omega for £10,000 problem solved  :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2020, 21:08:31 »

An Insurance company, trying to catch you out, by hiding something in the really small print,,,  :D

They are responsible and respectable business,that would never use underhanded and disposable practice to not have to pay out..... Would they. ;D :D
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2020, 21:30:14 »

Driving other cars cover isn't routinely provided as standard, and if it is offered, it is usually Third Party only, which makes it a moot point.

Obviously it depends on your circumstances, but being a named driver on policies of cars you regularly drive  ought to be sufficient.
Yes it is, and pretty much universal on most Comprehensive policies.  Obviously she is a named driver on all our other cars, but not being able to, for example, drive her dads car legally is a problem.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2020, 21:34:46 »

Yes it is, and pretty much universal on most Comprehensive policies.  Obviously she is a named driver on all our other cars, but not being able to, for example, drive her dads car legally is a problem.
I had similar to this when I took the wife's car in for a service. We are both named drivers on each others policies, and both of us can drive another vehicle on our individual policies. But I needed a courtesy car when I took her car in. Although I could drive a courtesy car on my policy if my car was going in, I could not drive it on her policy as a named driver. I had to pay £12 for the day (which they let me off because I put a tenner in the car and it did a million miles to the gallon or something)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2020, 21:41:02 »

Not in my experience it isn't. From memory only three policies have had it since my first one in 1996. Certainly my current insurer doesn't offer it.  :-\

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2020, 21:41:55 »

We've had it on every policy for about the last ten years.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2020, 21:55:36 »

I make a point of checking when i renew or change my insurance
it's only 3rd party cover ,but that's all i need if i drive someone else's car
(because the whole fleet is rusty old Vauxhalls )  :D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2020, 21:58:23 »

Obviously she is a named driver on all our other cars, but not being able to, for example, drive her dads car legally is a problem.

Similar issue here. As owner and policy holder I'm covered for my own vehicle and any other motor vehicle not belonging to me. This is all well and good but I also own a new Beemer which my daughter uses. My daughter has a policy on the Beemer, declaring her as the main user but me as the owner. So, technically I can't drive my own car as I don't have a policy on it. I can't drive it on my policy as I own it so the 'any vehicle not owned by me' invalidates that. I suppose she could add me as a named driver on my own vehicle.  :-\
Incidentally, I've had the 'any other motor vehicle not owned by me' since I was about eighteen. In actual fact it used to say 'any car or motorcycle not owned by the policy holder.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2020, 22:03:39 »

I think the last policy I had it on was an Admiral Multi car policy when I had the two Omegas and possibly my Taxi policy... Both 4 and 5 years ago respectively  :-\

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2020, 09:26:23 »

I have three insurance policies[all with different companies] all are fully comp. and only one of those covers me to drive another vehicle not owned by me.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2020, 10:01:51 »

I have three insurance policies[all with different companies] all are fully comp. and only one of those covers me to drive another vehicle not owned by me.

Got me worried then, worried enough to go and check.  ;D  All good though, definitely covered to drive any vehicle not owned by the policy holder. My wife's is the same for her policy.  :y
Obviously some insurers dropped this additional cover.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2020, 15:26:06 »

Just checked my Admiral policy, and it states that the Policyholder Only can drive other vehicles;

The policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner of a private motor car as long as the other car is not a hire or rental car, is not owned by you or your partner nor obtained by you or your partner under a hire purchase or lease agreement, within our territorial limits, providing there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car. The cover is Third party only.

Me and SWMBO are named drivers on eachothers policies, so irrelivent to us, but if we weren't, I wouldn't be able to drive her car, but I could drive my nextdooor neighbours car (with their permission).

The Insurance Company thinks it's being clever by doing this, but in-fact, we both save money (reduced permium) by adding eachother onto our own policies.  I guess this would change somewhat if we didn't have impecible driving records!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 November 2020, 16:53:04 »

Just checked my Admiral policy, and it states that the Policyholder Only can drive other vehicles;

The policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner of a private motor car as long as the other car is not a hire or rental car, is not owned by you or your partner nor obtained by you or your partner under a hire purchase or lease agreement, within our territorial limits, providing there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car. The cover is Third party only.

Me and SWMBO are named drivers on eachothers policies, so irrelivent to us, but if we weren't, I wouldn't be able to drive her car, but I could drive my nextdooor neighbours car (with their permission).

The Insurance Company thinks it's being clever by doing this, but in-fact, we both save money (reduced permium) by adding eachother onto our own policies.  I guess this would change somewhat if we didn't have impecible driving records!
Thats the old wording.  Which was on my old policy (and an Admiral agent denied, despite me having the certificate in front of me).

Its now only the policy holder AND if the car being insured is legally owned* by the Policy Holder.

*In Admiral's view, Legally Owned means name on V5, which is legally incorrect according to DVLA.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.