Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where have all the cars gone ?  (Read 4267 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Where have all the cars gone ?
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2020, 16:14:38 »

They are heading over to Ireland in large numbers as they are popular with the drifty chappies over there
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2020, 17:25:37 »

Do you think that there will be a far higher percentage of older (petrol and diesel) cars remaining on the road the closer we get to 2030? ??? ??? ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2020, 17:27:26 »

Do you think that there will be a far higher percentage of older (petrol and diesel) cars remaining on the road the closer we get to 2030? ??? ??? ;)
Depends what you call older. Mine is old (2014) in my opinion, omegas will surely be too old.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2020, 18:01:12 »

Depends what you call older. Mine is old (2014) in my opinion, omegas will surely be too old.

mmm.  I suppose the other question is how quickly from 2030 will petrol stations as we know them disappear to be replaced by full charging stations, without any petrol/diesel filling facility.  I saw either a plan or actual completed facility (Shell?? )being featured in a recent TV advert that was such  site.

So, then the petrol and diesel cars of any age will be forced from the road! :( :(

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2020, 18:04:39 »

mmm.  I suppose the other question is how quickly from 2030 will petrol stations as we know them disappear to be replaced by full charging stations, without any petrol/diesel filling facility.  I saw either a plan or actual completed facility (Shell?? )being featured in a recent TV advert that was such  site.

So, then the petrol and diesel cars of any age will be forced from the road! :( :(
A lot of things to put in place before then.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2020, 18:06:13 »

A lot of things to put in place before then.

Too true!  :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 November 2020, 18:08:14 »

If you think being told to stay indoors during covid ruffled a few feathers, wait until they try to take our beloved internal combustion engines from us.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2020, 18:09:12 »

If you think being told to stay indoors during covid ruffled a few feathers, wait until they try to take our beloved internal combustion engines from us.

There will be a revolution!! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2020, 18:10:16 »

Mad Max...and Tom, Dick and Harry.
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2020, 18:12:26 »

There are currently 40 million cars on the road in the UK. 2.3 million of them were new in 2019. Those numbers are only going to increase in the next ten years, although more of them will be partial EVs.

Everyone of those that isn't a full, plug-in EV will need to be refuelled.

Therefore petrol stations will be required for years after 2030, although I do predict that they'll offer charging points too.

Those numbers don't include industrial vehicles, many of which are utterly unsuited to electric power.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2020, 18:12:35 »

Mad Max...and Tom, Dick and Harry.

;D ;D ;D :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2020, 18:15:07 »

Yeah, just like everybody kept their horses 100 years ago.

Instead they jumped at the chance of cheaper, more practical, cleaner, economical, comfortable convenient cars.

I/C engines are now the things that many of us will be glad to see/smell/hear the back of.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2020, 18:18:22 »

There are currently 40 million cars on the road in the UK. 2.3 million of them were new in 2019. Those numbers are only going to increase in the next ten years, although more of them will be partial EVs.

Therefore petrol stations will be required for years after 2030, although I do predict that they'll offer charging points too.

Those numbers don't include industrial vehicles, many of which are utterly unsuited to electric power.
Yep. I'm not overly concerned at my age, and younger people will probably think it's a good thing.
I've a few friends in London who haven't owned a car of any sort for years, it just doesn't make sense. When I lived on the Fulham Road in 1990, there wasn't a parking space to be had for miles. Residents didn't get any preference and had to trawl the streets for ages looking for a space. 30 years ago...wonder what it's like now.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2020, 18:19:10 »

Yeah, just like everybody kept their horses 100 years ago.

Instead they jumped at the chance of cheaper, more practical, cleaner, economical, comfortable convenient cars.

I/C engines are now the things that many of us will be glad to see/smell/hear the back of.
Nah, totally different kettle of fish.
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2020, 20:49:38 »

Yep. I'm not overly concerned at my age, and younger people will probably think it's a good thing.
I've a few friends in London who haven't owned a car of any sort for years, it just doesn't make sense. When I lived on the Fulham Road in 1990, there wasn't a parking space to be had for miles. Residents didn't get any preference and had to trawl the streets for ages looking for a space. 30 years ago...wonder what it's like now.

In 2030 as anyone walks down there they'll be tripping over miles of charging cables. Gladstone Brookes will be having a field day.  :D Other ambulance chasers are available. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.