Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: HUGE Thanks to Serek / SOS Automotive (On subject of Land Rovers!)  (Read 2829 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile

In 2017, I bought my Range Rover.

It's a 2002, L322, 4.4 litre V8 auto, with registered LPG conversion. Bought with 130k miles, now on around 155k.

I paid £3,400 for it, from somewhere up north (Bradford?) - took a real chance.

The roof is usually laden with two large Thule roof boxes, and regularly carry 2 x dogs, and 4 people over long distances. The LPG has been faultless, the car is just SO good to drive!

Best car I've ever owned, never looked back!

I've always kept her very well serviced, and did some of the front suspension stuff myself incl airbags (which are really quite easy!)

A true pleasure to drive, and never let me down, bar a water pump early on, which I bought from ECP and fitted myself with new belts.

In November, sadly, she failed her MOT, at my local garage.

First fail was rear wishbones. Fair enough, really:

Also failed on corrosion to rear subframe, substantially reducing strength" etc.

Re the subframe, the tester was sucking through his teeth "big job mate, big job, cost thousands to fix".

So, I ignored him and left the car with Serek for a bit.

New rear wishbones were £175 to buy:

They were then swiftly fitted by the SOS crew, AND the subframe saved with their awesome welding skills, with no more than a £300 labour charge. He was also kind enough to get the MOT sorted out for me, so I could drive home without any worries.

This is one of the few honest and sensible garages left, I would not hesitate to drive the length of the country to use SOS, and if you have any jobs that you can't / don't want / don't have the kit to do yourself.... Go to SOS!!!!

I do most of my own work, but, when it comes to things beyond me, SOS are the only garage I trust :y :y :y

PS... don't pay £7.5k for a crankshaft snapping, asthmatic diesel discovery that's only 7 years newer than this. You might as well take £5k, and pour it down the drain, in comparison the the value, and quality of this one ;)  :y :y :y :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE Thanks to Serek / SOS Automotive (On subject of Land Rovers!)
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2020, 08:59:34 »

Nice Motor that!

On subject, its a long while since I've needed to use a garage for anything (more by luck than my amazing mechanical talents  ;D) but I reckon I'd only be using serek if I had to use one at all. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2020, 11:42:39 »

Trouble is, every time I look at a full fat Range Rover, I think its worth spending the extra and getting the first facelifted L322 from around mid 2005...   ...then the next facelift around 2009 doesn't seem that more expensive, though the 4.4 TDV8 commands a decent premium over the earlier 3.6 TDV8.

Not sure I will scratch that particular itch now, as I've borrowed some of joshwyatts over the years, and it really does take up too much space on the drive :(
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2020, 20:23:05 »

Trouble is, every time I look at a full fat Range Rover, I think its worth spending the extra and getting the first facelifted L322 from around mid 2005...   ...then the next facelift around 2009 doesn't seem that more expensive, though the 4.4 TDV8 commands a decent premium over the earlier 3.6 TDV8.

Not sure I will scratch that particular itch now, as I've borrowed some of joshwyatts over the years, and it really does take up too much space on the drive :(

It's 4wd, park it in the Garden ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2020, 20:38:48 »

It's 4wd, park it in next doors Garden ;D

Seems a sensible suggestion.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2020, 23:20:53 »

I'm just wondering what he carries inside the car if he's carrying two dogs and four people in the roof boxes ::) ::) :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2020, 09:48:39 »

You're 'aving a Giraffe.  My gaff is a (20yr old) new build, so a Mini Metro wouldn't fit on the front garden ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2020, 09:52:05 »

I'm just wondering what he carries inside the car if he's carrying two dogs and four people in the roof boxes ::) ::) :y
We said 4 people and 2 dogs.  I presume dogs are in the boot, so luggage has to go on top.

When it comes to the L322, given its huge size, one of my complaints is getting in and out of the back.  Its not like the door aperture is small, but I always manage to crack my head. Plenty of room for 4 adults in the car (5 is a bit cramped mind), it is just getting in and out ;D
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2020, 11:32:14 »

Two of the passengers can sit on the bikes Baza. :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2020, 11:40:32 »

Two of the passengers can sit on the bikes Baza. :D

The bikes are there to go and get help.
The dogs are to entertain and keep the passengers safe while that happens.
Luggage is kept in roofboxes so it doesn't fall through the holes in the boot floor.

This has been SOP for Range Rovers for decades ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2020, 12:53:54 »

You're 'aving a Giraffe.  My gaff is a (20yr old) new build, so a Mini Metro wouldn't fit on the front garden ;D

Move the Garage again... ;D. Griffin runs and hides.
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2020, 13:12:31 »

Move the Garage again... ;D. Griffin runs and hides.
Well, I'm not sure I should mention this, but I did gain fresh scorch marks in the back garden yesterday morning....
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2020, 13:15:44 »

Serek will certainly be on my list of 'go to' people for anything I can't do myself.

Nice motor James, I like that shape. Is it my eyes or have you got one of your roof boxes on backwards. I assume this is because they are single hinge and you do this for access.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2020, 13:17:21 »

Serek will certainly be on my list of 'go to' people for anything I can't do myself.

Nice motor James, I like that shape. Is it my eyes or have you got one of your roof boxes on backwards. I assume this is because they are single hinge and you do this for access.
When you drive a tank, you care not about the aerodynamics ;D
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2020, 13:22:18 »

When you drive a tank, you care not about the aerodynamics ;D

That did cross my mind when James commented on his mpg on a previous post.   ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 December 2020, 23:34:42 »

Nice motor James, I like that shape.

Cheers, me too  :y

Is it my eyes or have you got one of your roof boxes on backwards. I assume this is because they are single hinge and you do this for access.

Actually, no. Whilst I can see why you would think this - it's actually exactly the same design, front and back. So it can go either way. Makes access very easy from either side :y :y

Ref my roof setup, the bars, were £30 from ebay, specific for L322. The Thule box on the drivers side, was £30 from a guy in Slough, who bought it, but couldn't work out (and then lost) its fittings. I used some exhaust U clamps and bits of metal I fabricated, works a treat!

The other box was the most expensive part, at £100, but it's enormous, so that's ok.

The bike carriers were £30 each, from Hellfrauds, didn't quite fit on the bars with the included U bolts, with both the roof boxes on - so for the U bolt that didn't fit, instead I drilled down into the roof bar, and used a nut, bolt, and spreader plate.

This whole set up, for £220.

Wonder what it would charge to get an "expert" aka spotty yoof at Halfords to kit it out like that?  ;D ;D

I love getting a bargain, and I love make do and mend culture :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.