Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Failure - Great AA  (Read 10853 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Failure - Great AA
« Reply #30 on: 23 December 2020, 11:01:34 »

The name on my GM battery is GM  ;D

As you are my age you should remember the Delco products as well.  They were constantly being advertised on the tv at the time in the 1980’s ;D ;D ;)

Careful Lizzie, age seems to be a touchy subject round here today!  ;D ;D ;D :-X
Lizzie is the same age as me (although I think her birthday is earlier in the year):P

Mine is June Steve, but don't rub it in that I am older than you!! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y
Wrong, mine is May, young lass  :(

Ah, you don't know how much better I suddenly now feel!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 December 2020, 11:10:48 »

Thanks guys, I now feel young again ;D
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 December 2020, 11:44:15 »

The audi has not turned a wheel for 4 weeks, but the battery is in tip-top condition, as it has a "smart charger" connected to it for 48 hours  every 14 days. Modern cars with all the anti-theft devices and other stuff quickly run down a battery, .......

Whilst we are on the subject of batteries, any recommendations for a smart charger for AGM Start/Stop batteries. Mine doesn't go far now so I'm thinking it should get a little charge now and again. I was looking at the Halfords Smart Plus but no idea if it's any good or not. I have two of the standard battery chargers but they're no good for AGM type I believe.

Reference the AA and batteries, I drove over 300 miles in one go in the Omega, parked up, went to move it twenty minutes later and it was completely dead. Well, 8V actually, but may as well have been dead. The AA turned up, did the checks for parasitic drain and fitted a new battery. He was a pleasant guy who was only too happy to check for battery drain, so a thumbs up from me.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 December 2020, 11:54:25 »

Thanks guys, I now feel young again ;D
As has been stated, it's all relative. You are old, we are very old and Barry is ancient.  :)
Diesel till I die

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 December 2020, 12:18:58 »

The audi has not turned a wheel for 4 weeks, but the battery is in tip-top condition, as it has a "smart charger" connected to it for 48 hours  every 14 days. Modern cars with all the anti-theft devices and other stuff quickly run down a battery, .......

Whilst we are on the subject of batteries, any recommendations for a smart charger for AGM Start/Stop batteries. Mine doesn't go far now so I'm thinking it should get a little charge now and again. I was looking at the Halfords Smart Plus but no idea if it's any good or not. I have two of the standard battery chargers but they're no good for AGM type I believe.

Reference the AA and batteries, I drove over 300 miles in one go in the Omega, parked up, went to move it twenty minutes later and it was completely dead. Well, 8V actually, but may as well have been dead. The AA turned up, did the checks for parasitic drain and fitted a new battery. He was a pleasant guy who was only too happy to check for battery drain, so a thumbs up from me.  :y

I use a ctek MXS 5.0, and have used ctek stuff for years, in fact I still have the older one which is used on the shopping trolly .... only purchased this one as it does AGM batteries which the Audi has.

Not everyone agrees, but I find ctek stuff very good.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-5-0-uk

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 December 2020, 12:19:17 »

Get an electric car and charge it every day... Win win ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 December 2020, 12:23:43 »

I use a ctek MXS 5.0, and have used ctek stuff for years, in fact I still have the older one which is used on the shopping trolly .... only purchased this one as it does AGM batteries which the Audi has.

Not everyone agrees, but I find ctek stuff very good.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-5-0-uk

Thanks for that Nige.  :y 

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 December 2020, 13:25:40 »

I asked the AA chap about battery chargers and what are good ones in his experience.  He said that all the regular ones are ok for just a few charges then they start to go.  So he said that if you want a reliable, long term charger, get one like He had just used; cost £2,000!!! :o :o :o

For professionals I suppose only the best do, and normally I have followed that rule when buying equipment for DIY and car mechanics, but £2,000!!   I will just continue to use the AA when I have to! :y :y :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 December 2020, 16:55:26 »

Battery charger I use is above twenty years old can't recall make of it but will have been about £5-£6 still does the job when needed though.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 December 2020, 17:39:12 »

I asked the AA chap about battery chargers and what are good ones in his experience.  He said that all the regular ones are ok for just a few charges then they start to go.  So he said that if you want a reliable, long term charger, get one like He had just used; cost £2,000!!! :o :o :o

Blimey, I can get three and a half new batteries for that (AGM Stop/Start Battery).  ::)   ;D  We're  going in to Tier 4 on Boxing Day so I'll need a charger more than ever now.  :y

Battery charger I use is above twenty years old can't recall make of it but will have been about £5-£6 still does the job when needed though.

I've got a couple of old chargers for standard batteries but need one for AGM batteries.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 December 2020, 17:51:51 »

The Halfords branded Smart 100/200 etc are *desperately* unreliable.  I had about 5 in 3 years.  They are made by Ring.  I replaced it with the Ring RSC612 that I got from Halfords (as I guess you have trade) which has been flawless.  It defaults to non AGM (or Stop/Start in their parlance) every time you plug it in though.

As with all smart chargers, I don't bother with the various repair modes, as if you need to use those, your battery is shagged anyway.

Its pure croc clips only, no "comfort" leads like the Cteks....

...which brings me on to Cteks, I have had half a dozen of them, 3 for bikes and 3 for cars, all have been utterly useless. But the comfort leads are a real idea.

Grumpy old man

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 December 2020, 18:32:13 »

Delco/Delphi rings a bell somewhere

AV Delco was sold off as a separate company years ago and eventually became Delphi

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 December 2020, 18:37:53 »

The Halfords branded Smart 100/200 etc are *desperately* unreliable.  I had about 5 in 3 years.  They are made by Ring.  I replaced it with the Ring RSC612 that I got from Halfords (as I guess you have trade) which has been flawless.  It defaults to non AGM (or Stop/Start in their parlance) every time you plug it in though.

As with all smart chargers, I don't bother with the various repair modes, as if you need to use those, your battery is shagged anyway.

Its pure croc clips only, no "comfort" leads like the Cteks....

...which brings me on to Cteks, I have had half a dozen of them, 3 for bikes and 3 for cars, all have been utterly useless. But the comfort leads are a real idea.

Hmm, got me all confuddled now.  ::)  I'd more or less made up my mind with Entwood's link but I'm a bit thrown now. Due to my parents both being disabled I have to go over there to supply food, fetch and do their laundry, mop floors etc., even in lockdown, as otherwise they'd err .....die.  ;D  As it's only 3 miles away we use the petrol car. I'll have to do a few random late night, fast ninja runs in my Audi to charge it up until I decide which one to buy.  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 December 2020, 19:33:47 »

Take no notice of Jaime, he only has to look at something and it stops working/falls apart/explodes.
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 December 2020, 19:38:20 »

Take no notice of Jaime, he only has to look at something and it stops working/falls apart/explodes.

exactly :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.