Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Failure - Great AA  (Read 10838 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Failure - Great AA
« Reply #75 on: 26 December 2020, 19:28:26 »

I'm not Entwood, but the answer is no. A good charger will come with(it's also available separately) a hard wire kit that you fit to the battery, and route the plug to somewhere convenient. Then you park the car, and leave the charger connected until the next time you use the car.

The trouble is that a lot of later vehicles have to be charged from the designated posts, not the battery itself.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 26 December 2020, 19:33:02 »

A fishy fanny is not a good experience.

It always pays to do the dip test first. Then, if you can't stand the whiff on your fingers you certainly don't want your ears clamped between her thighs.  ;)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 26 December 2020, 19:46:53 »

Intoxication can help :D

Oh dear God....  ::)

I knew a lad many years ago who got some sort of horrible bacterial infection on his tongue after doing that to a girl he'd just pulled when he was pissed!  :P

Like a crop of microscopic mushrooms it was!  :o  ;D
;D

You have to be a little selective...

Are you trying to tell us that you are a little selective when you're pissed?  ???                           ;D ;D ;D     

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 26 December 2020, 19:55:47 »

I'm not Entwood, but the answer is no. A good charger will come with(it's also available separately) a hard wire kit that you fit to the battery, and route the plug to somewhere convenient. Then you park the car, and leave the charger connected until the next time you use the car.

The trouble is that a lot of later vehicles have to be charged from the designated posts, not the battery itself.  :y

That's only a little fiddlier than fitting a ring terminal to the M6 bolt on each battery connector

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 26 December 2020, 20:47:40 »

That's only a little fiddlier than fitting a ring terminal to the M6 bolt on each battery connector

The audi  is left with the battery connected and the charger connected to the supplied "posts" with no problems at all . There is plenty of room for the crocodile clips on the posts, and the charger sits nicely near the airbox. The mains lead goes out through a small space at the "point" of the  wing so the bonnet closes fully, thus the car is locked, the alarms set and the battery is kept "topped up" throughout the time it is not being used. When the time comes to use the car, pop the bonnet, unplug the charger, disconnect the crocodile clips ... job done .. takes less than a minute.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 26 December 2020, 22:50:12 »

The instructions supplied usually state the positive lead from the charger be connected to the designated positive post (which is usually piggy backed off the positive terminal) or to the positive terminal itself if not present, whilst the negative lead should be connected to the designated earth point away from the battery, or any suitable earth point as far from the battery as the leads allow, such as an engine lifting eye, or suspension turret bolt or anything that is earthed. The negative lead of the charger ideally shouldn't be connected directly to the battery terminal unless the battery is off the vehicle. The opposite applies to older positive earth vehicles, but without the electronics associated with modern vehicles, it isn't as important to connect the earth lead away from the battery, although if possible, it is still advised.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27 December 2020, 15:46:30 »

I would like an explanation as to why the charger should not be connected direct to the positive and negative clamps on the battery whilst installed in the car.My worry has been that the electronics in the car might be affected or is it a fear of fire?

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 27 December 2020, 15:49:25 »

I should also have said why not positive to battery clamp and negative to an earth point on the car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 27 December 2020, 15:56:02 »

It can overload the electronics.

Cars with jump posts in the engine bay should be charged or jumped using those rather than the battery.

Also when charging a battery, it should be ventilated as they produce gas when charging. In the engine bay, this is fine, but if it's mounted in the scuttle or boot etc it should have a vent tube fitted, or ideally be removed from the car. Also ideally disconnected.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2020, 15:58:43 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 27 December 2020, 15:58:07 »

I should also have said why not positive to battery clamp and negative to an earth point on the car.
You want to charge the battery, not run the current through the entire car. Again the battery ideally should be disconnected from the car.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 27 December 2020, 16:27:40 »

I think that is what I actually said - on a negative earth car (as modern cars are), the positive charger lead can be connected to the positive terminal, or preferably if it has one, the positive terminal piggybacked off the main battery post usually found under a designated plastic flap with a big red +, albeit sometimes only a matter of inches away from the battery terminal, and the negative charger lead to any solid earthed point of the car - away from the battery preferably.
Same applies to jump starting the car wherever possible.
Many people charge or jump start a car with the leads of the charger or jump leads / jump pack directly on the battery posts without any problems, but it is actually advised to have the earth or negative leads connected away from the main battery terminal.
I always do it this way, and just think it is wise to do as the instructions advise.
I had a little information booklet that was stuck to the side of a Bosch battery in a plastic pouch that I left attached for the years the battery was in use. It eventually gave up the ghost, so I binned the booklet only a few days ago, but that clearly stated the points I have referred to about lead connection.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 27 December 2020, 16:39:11 »

So as the Omega doesnt have jump posts  really the battery should be disconnected from the car before charging.  Is it therefore not recommended to jump start from the battery connections.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 27 December 2020, 16:46:14 »

sorry johnnydog  I missed your post before writing mine. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 27 December 2020, 16:52:30 »

So as the Omega doesn't have jump posts  really the battery should be disconnected from the car before charging.  Is it therefore not recommended to jump start from the battery connections.

Jump posts are usually fitted when the battery is not easily accessible and/or away from the engine.

I do fit the negative lead to the engine when there is room, but don't worry too much

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 27 December 2020, 17:56:42 »

So as the Omega doesnt have jump posts  really the battery should be disconnected from the car before charging.  Is it therefore not recommended to jump start from the battery connections.
The Omega doesn't gave the electronics of a newer car.

Jumping direct to the battery on summat like a later X5 does alot of damage.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.