Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashed the omega, options??  (Read 3926 times)

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Crashed the omega, options??
« on: 06 January 2016, 13:17:11 »

Quick version: I rear ended a mk5 golf this morning, the dork emergency braked while we were dedicated to goin though traffic lights and just turned Amber!

Now I need options, the car was a beautie and loved driving it. It's a 99 3.0l elite estate auto and only 74k with full service history. If I can find another that good I'd have it straight away.

Here's the damage

It's not huge but lights broken, wings further out and slam panel is stuffed, bonnet seems ok except a small crease in center. While I can fix it with 2nd hand parts I'm not sure it's cost effective and it'll never all be perfect again.

My best option I can see now is take off my Porsche wheels and brakes, leave it lowered, put stock bits back on and sell it to a drifter!! I only paid £650 for it 18 months ago(standard spec).

What would you do? Also so far insurance hasn't been involved and hopefully won't be!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Crashed the omega, options??
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2016, 13:23:51 »

a) you're lucky no insurance, If at all possible I'd say don't!

I got driven into 3 months ago and my poor car still looks in exactly the same state as it did after the smash. (Hugely dented in front wing and pass door, scratch down the entire NS)

b) Looking at that car, by eck there's time and effort in that, love the idea of Porsche wheels. I'd say keep it, keep it. But depends if you have sentimentality there or purely as a cost exercise.

Realistically it's a PFL headlamp, under-lamp trim and a slam panel and you're back on the road. Other elements are cosmetic and consequentially less of an issue. £100 might see that right, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You're close to making buying a donor car being a feasible option, depending how cheap you get one for and what you'd re-sell the donor for as scrap/spare repairs itself.

Sorry to see your car like this, but I'd say easy repair, and well, well worth saving.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2016, 13:27:25 »

That's unfortunate!  With big brakes and you got outbraked by a Golf!  :o

Ah well, nobody injured, and that's the main thing.

I just hope you still have the washer jet.  They are apparently made of 'unobtanium'.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2016, 13:28:35 »

I'd say too that easy repair not much damage if lucky not much money to spend and HEY it's an omega you have to fix it ;)
Driving: Vectra - 2002 - 2.2 "GTS" - Manual
Old: Omega - 1999 - MV6 - Automatic
Old: Omega - 1995 - MV6 - Manual

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2016, 13:39:47 »

Checked the chassis is still square?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2016, 14:09:55 »

Easy fix really... I'd fix it as there's a lot of work in it already  ;)

As for insurance... Surely the 3rd party is intending to claim? If so, you may as well claim yours too as a claim is a claim whether it is £1000 or £5000 ;) Don't let them take the car, haggle on the settlement and buy back the scrap. Then you should have a few pennies to pay for the repairs  :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2016, 14:30:55 »

So neither of you want the other to pay for repairs? I bet the Golf is damaged worse, even if it doesn't look it.

As for your car, if you can find the whole front end in the right colour for <£200, repair it.

But realistically, it's scrap.

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2016, 14:56:12 »

As far as I can see the chassis is fine but can't say for sure, I can't see the car being worth fixing economically to a standard I'd be happy with so I've started to bodge it back together so I can use it.

Expanding Foam to hold in the head light and hammering out the slam panel seems the solution. I may even drift it myself then sell it.

I don't know what to replace it with, must be an estate (x2 Labradors). No more autos, same high towing capacity and preferably rwd. 5k tops but cheaper the better. Another omega would be fine.

Also there's another omega, same colour on eBay locally goin very cheap atm, I guess I could just swap everything over and scrap it?

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2016, 15:07:46 »

All I will say is...
Before...

After...

Cost me £300 to have the car collected, slam panel fitted, painted and car returned. I did all the stripping and the rest of the repair... cost about a grand at the end of the day, and I would do it again.

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2016, 17:41:08 »

That's a pretty good turn Around, I've got the option of this car from eBay or just leave it slightly bent and a new headlight is the least I can get away with I think.

Insurance wise I'm reluctant to except full responsibility as the guy was driving like a tool and slammed his brakes on for a Amber light despite being dedicated to drive through, I don't even think he stopped before the line.

He is taking the car to a garage and may settle out of the insurance but price will dictate that.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2016, 17:47:17 »

That's a pretty good turn Around, I've got the option of this car from eBay or just leave it slightly bent and a new headlight is the least I can get away with I think.

Insurance wise I'm reluctant to except full responsibility as the guy was driving like a tool and slammed his brakes on for a Amber light despite being dedicated to drive through, I don't even think he stopped before the line.

He is taking the car to a garage and may settle out of the insurance but price will dictate that.

Are you sure he's insured?  If I rear ended someone and they were reluctant to get insurance involved alarm bells would be ringing big time!  ::) 

Kind of irrelevant really though as I'd imagine you'd have a job convincing the insurance companies that you were not at fault seeing as you went up his arse, no matter how badly he was driving.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2016, 17:58:07 »

Unfortunately, that means absolutely nothing. You hit him, not the other way round. It will be clear cut your fault, you had not left enough stopping room between you. And if he was braking for Amber, it would have been dangerous for you to proceed, as the 2 second rule would have made those lights as red as a red thing.

(Not getting on a soapbox, hell no!, just being as blunt as the insurance will see it)
Grumpy old man

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2016, 18:16:18 »

It's cool, I know evidence is not on my side but iirc part of the high way code does state if you are dedicated to making the lights and your distance/speed make a stop unsafe then you must proceed. Totally irrelevant unfortunately tho without a witness or evidence.

The lads a 2nd year apprentice at my work so assume he doesn't want the crash on his already expensive insurance. I haven't heard of him before this but could end up working with him at some point.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2016, 18:21:10 »

but iirc part of the high way code does state if you are dedicated to making the lights and your distance/speed make a stop unsafe then you must proceed.
He did(ish), you didn't ;)

Totally irrelevant unfortunately tho without a witness or evidence.
Or with, as he stopped, you didn't.

:'(
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2016, 18:29:24 »

No witnesses needed. I wouldn't be too complacent on this one. If he does  decide to go through insurance, the whiplash will set in, along with various other maladies no doubt.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2016, 18:32:39 »

Unfortunately, that means absolutely nothing. You hit him, not the other way round. It will be clear cut your fault, you had not left enough stopping room between you. And if he was braking for Amber, it would have been dangerous for you to proceed, as the 2 second rule would have made those lights as red as a red thing.

(Not getting on a soapbox, hell no!, just being as blunt as the insurance will see it)

Highway code says -

Rule 175
You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

Either way you've also got to be able to stop in a distance you can see to be clear at your side of the road.

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2016, 18:43:44 »

If you read the whole highway code, you should drive at a speed appropriate to prevailing limits/conditions- traffic and weather and also at such a speed that you can stop in the distance available to you... ::)

I would inform your insurers just in case you suddenly find yourself with an injury claim... If you don't claim, and they don't claim then it gets recorded as Fault, no claim made rather than a fault claim... ;)

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2016, 18:50:59 »

We have both agreed to not tell insurance until he gets a quote, I'm not telling them anything unless I have to. I've never had one before but how badly will a accident affect my insurance? I'm 30 with 4 yrs ncb paying £400 a year atm.

Highway code says -

Rule 175
You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

Either way you've also got to be able to stop in a distance you can see to be clear at your side of the road.

Yes that's the one thanks, I can defiantly say I was being cheeky goin for the Amber light aswell but didn't think the guy would slam on so I was closer than usual. But my biggest error was accelerating to make the lights at exactly the same time he braked, no amount of Porsche brakes could stop that momentum. All happen in a split second so just have to bite the bullet now.

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2016, 19:53:17 »

Do your brakes not lock the wheels then? At the very least they should momentarily lock before waking the abs up :-\

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2016, 22:02:08 »

I don't think the wheel lock at all just straight into abs, being wet this morning that's about all they did.
Me and the wife just spent 5 weeks in New Zealand and can't believe the weather difference, Christmas Day in the sun having a BBQ is wrong!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2016, 22:10:15 »

I don't think the wheel lock at all just straight into abs, being wet this morning that's about all they did.
Me and the wife just spent 5 weeks in New Zealand and can't believe the weather difference, Christmas Day in the sun having a BBQ is bloody lovely!!  :y :y :y

Fixed!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2016, 22:47:08 »

If its any help at all I have a genuine Irmscher front grille in the same colour that I will let go at a good price :) :y
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2016, 23:14:14 »

If its any help at all I have a genuine Irmscher front grille in the same colour that I will let go at a good price :) :y
Standard on mfl Elite iirc :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2016, 08:06:37 »

Thats what it came off Al, along with the headlights and front fogs.... but they're long gone now... the grille is just sat in my lock-up and stares at me everytime I go in there LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2016, 09:10:43 »

I happened to have one of the steinmetz fake style grills from eBay that I was goin to bin and being black it hides just how badly the bumper lines up now.

On the plus side I can drive the car after glueing in the headlight and it's perfectly aligned too.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 January 2016, 23:14:22 »

So you work with this guy you rear ended? 

I reckon there is more to this story.

A bit of street racing that went wrong, you fudged up, am I right?  ;D

How are your Porsche brakes anyway?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2016, 12:13:50 »

Sorry forgot to reply

Just to clarify no I did not know this guy, there are 5,000 people in work and we all start at the same time, so it's safe to say anyone on the road in this area at start time is coming here.

And absaloutly was not racing to work, this guys a tool, way to much of a space cadet to even break the speed limit, I'm just impatient and wanted to be goin faster lol

I would say I was always happy with the Porsche brakes but felt the rear couldn't match the required braking to be even, I've now fitted vented rear disc and ferodo ds2500 race pads and there's a huge improvement, abs cuts in less and the car feels level when braking. The rear brakes were not in poor condition at all, I'd say still 60% life left in them but obviously not enough to match the fronts.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.