Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: contact breakers/points  (Read 2450 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: contact breakers/points
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2009, 16:09:30 »

What engine.
Reliant 850  ::)

You should also set them based on dwell and not gap as the breaker operating cam in the dizzy will be worn.
I'm not that acurate at the minute. I just want to run it to start with  ;D. Worn? Perhaps, a bit, but it's not actually that bad. I intend to bin the contents of the dizzy at some later stage to a later electronic dizzy ... eg Aldon  :y  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2009, 16:14:34 »

So its the Robin 850 engine?.....and is it the original coil or any old shite that was lying about?

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2009, 16:22:33 »

What engine.
Reliant 850  ::)

You should also set them based on dwell and not gap as the breaker operating cam in the dizzy will be worn.
I'm not that acurate at the minute. I just want to run it to start with  ;D. Worn? Perhaps, a bit, but it's not actually that bad. I intend to bin the contents of the dizzy at some later stage to a later electronic dizzy ... eg Aldon  :y  :y

Not a Reliant (Robin)?! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Sorry. but as soon as somebody mentions that name I think of sewing machine engines, and a friend I knew in the 1970s, "Nutty Ron" who swore by his but made us all laugh our stockings off!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't worry about the distributor and the contacts (which has brought back many happy memories!**) just scrap the engine and put a V6 lump in!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :D ;)

** Yes, many hours spent in all weathers adjusting them, or having them give up the spark to a faulty 2/6d worth condenser that everyone was told to carry a spare of, but who actually did?!! ::) ::) ::) :D ;)

Oh what days!! ;D ;D 8-) 8-)
« Last Edit: 26 March 2009, 16:25:51 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2009, 16:25:39 »

The robin engine is quite good....its all alloy (head and block) and can be made to go quite well.

The exhaust was a weakness on them with the manifold ports often being half the size of the head ones and the exhaust passing through a few tight 90 degree bends shortly after exiting the head.

Easy enough to get to rev to 9000rpm

But sadly mounted into something that corners like a bar of Palmolive

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2009, 16:28:49 »

The robin engine is quite good....its all alloy (head and block) and can be made to go quite well.

The exhaust was a weakness on them with the manifold ports often being half the size of the head ones and the exhaust passing through a few tight 90 degree bends shortly after exiting the head.

.............and could be demolished into small pieces of fibre glass, as I once witnessed on the London South Circular, with just the seats, engine, and wheels remaining recognizable!! :o :o :o :o  

I never knew what happened to the occupant(s), but being in my teens I thought it damned funny!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)  
« Last Edit: 26 March 2009, 16:29:10 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2009, 16:30:59 »

I remember a group of us many years ago (second year at uni) coming home from a night club and one had been left in the middle of eh aprk and ride on Gregory Boulevard.

We turned it on its roof and kept spinning it round......rather funny at the time!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2009, 16:55:11 »

Had a brace of "plastic pigs" in the late seventies...................rolled them both ...........easily..........one was a 600 c.c. Regal saloon..............the second the much lusted after 700c.c. Regal Supervan.
Light weight made them quite quick though......when they were not on their roof. ;D ;D ;D :y :y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2009, 17:00:19 »

Had a brace of "plastic pigs" in the late seventies...................rolled them both ...........easily..........one was a 600 c.c. Regal saloon..............the second the much lusted after 700c.c. Regal Supervan.
Light weight made them quite quick though......when they were not on their roof. ;D ;D ;D :y :y :y

Not THE Reliant Regal Supervan Optimist!!! :o :o :o :o :o   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Sorry but I can't stop laughing with memories of these machines "in action"!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2009, 17:00:58 »

Who can remember how to wire them up? There's no loom just bit of wires. ;) I've done it once ..... but old age has stepped in & I can't now remember.  :-/
I've tried a direct feed to the +ve of the coil and then connected the tail of the condensor/points to the -ve. That melted the points!!! I've got another new set & don't want to do the same to these.
Any pointers? I've had a quick Google bt can't find what I want.  :-?

Have you managed yet, I will have a handbook for a car with point's, also don't forget the insulating washer, catches loads of people out, especially these days....
 ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2009, 17:04:50 »

Andy this site may be of use to you for some basic information:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm

:y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2009, 17:26:55 »

Not THE Reliant Regal Supervan Optimist!!! :o :o :o :o :o   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Sorry but I can't stop laughing with memories of these machines "in action"!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)[/
quote]

You may well laugh Lizzie ;D ;D ;D.........but you could drive one on a full bike licence..........and on a cold December night.......the girlfriends of the time would rather go in "the Pig".......than on the back of my Honda 400/4.......all in all .....a.fine piece of British engineering.........so you can stifle your sniggers ....if you please. :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2009, 17:29:12 »

Sorry but I can't stop laughing with memories of these machines "in action"!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)[/
quote]

You may well laugh Lizzie ;D ;D ;D.........but you could drive one on a full bike licence..........and on a cold December night.......the girlfriends of the time would rather go in "the Pig".......than on the back of my Honda 400/4.......all in all .....a.fine piece of British engineering.........so you can stifle your sniggers ....if you please. :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :y

What happened Optimist when you and your girl friend rolled over in the back?? :o :o :o   Did you end up laying on the underside of the roof? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

I'll shut up now...........I've giggled myself to death! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 26 March 2009, 17:29:48 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 March 2009, 17:32:04 »

Mate of mine had a Reliant Supervan, no reverse gear so he could drive it on his motorbike licence, double mattress in the back ... was "decorated" with old gloss paint via a 4" paintbrush ... and was his "pride and joy" ... it was also a well used "passion wagon" .... his success rate was annoyingly high ... :(

(yes, we were jealous .... I had a Morris Minor 918cc sidevalve .. )

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2009, 18:42:50 »

So its the Robin 850 engine?.....and is it the original coil or any old shite that was lying about?

No it's not the original, it's one I had lying around! As said I must have a compatable coil somewhere as I had it running before ...... a while back now, but it has run.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 March 2009, 18:49:11 »

You're dead right about the exhaust manifold, it's as right angled as you could get.

You can't say that yet, as you don't know what it's fastened to. I haven't got cart springs at the back, coil over dampers, 5 link plus antiroll bar for me.

And it's (should be) orange.  :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.