Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Terminal error  (Read 619 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Battery Terminal error
« on: 17 October 2014, 10:38:55 »

What damage would putting the battery leads on the wring way round on a V6? or more specifically what would a puff of smoke aroung the abs ecu area have come from?  All fusible connections look intact and when fresh battery put in ( the right way round ) the battery light is lit but no ignition. Just trying to help a local guy out so no pisstaking pls ;)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Terminal error
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2014, 10:53:09 »

Oh, dear! :o Where to start..?

Every electronic system in the car has to potential to have been damaged, but most probably have some degree of protection built in, so you may be lucky.

First thing to do is to check all fuses and fusible links. I wouldn't mind betting some have blown.

Second thing to do is to check if it's drawing a load of current when you connect the battery the right way round. Things like the alternator rectifiers might well have gone south, and if you just plug the battery in you might burn out the windings too.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2014, 11:04:29 »

I checked the fuses in the engine bay fuse box and those fusible links above the positive terminal and all looked ok. Im thinking ECU and Alternator may well be fried. I may have access to a 3.0 auto for swap testing of parts but would it's ecu run a 2.5 manual with the chips swapped over ?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2014, 12:24:06 »

You also need to check the fuses in the cabin fusebox.

Swapping parts might introduce other issues at this stage, so I'd first check what happens when you turn the key. Do you get the usual warning lights on the dash? Do you get any indication when cranking the engine? i.e. twitching of the rev counter, does the fuel pump run?

Can you do a paperclip test to get some indication if the ECU is basically alive?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.