Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Our unhappy, un-exited, depressed youth culture.  (Read 5423 times)

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Our unhappy, un-exited, depressed youth culture.
« on: 02 January 2013, 07:46:22 »

::) Now this has to raise a laugh. According to a recent survey done by The Princes' Trust, a very worthy organisation with good intentions, the vast majority of the youths surveyed stated that they were unhappy, depressed, bored and found it difficult to relate to the people and real world circumstances around them.
 ??? That is hardly surprising when the majority of them spend countless hours in a world that is not real, it is a VIRTUAL REALITY one, on their various games consoles, smart phones etc! It seems to me that the problem is that they cannot differentiate between real and imaginary and therefore makes the solution and remedy a very simple one. Stop them accessing and using virtual reality games for long periods of time. Have the manufacturers and designers build in a mandatory maximum time limit operation on them of a few hours, say 2, that would then cut the game off until a longer set period of say 8 hours had elepsed. That way they would then have to spend time in the real world that suirrounds them and adapt back to it  :y Will they like it, of course not because the real world is boring after the many exciting adventures they had in the virtual one which to them had become REAL LIFE.
Why cannot the doogooders and government see that? Are they in some sort of working imaginary virtual world too? ::) ::)
Depressed?  ;) It is the rest of us that have to put up with their selfish ways that should, and have the right to be depressed...........
« Last Edit: 02 January 2013, 07:50:40 by Bionic »
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

I_want_an_Omega

Re: Our unhappy, un-exited, depressed youth culture.
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2013, 08:24:10 »

I'm not having a pop, but, why is that many of your posts come over as being somewhat negative in nature ....

It's a new year, life isn't perfect, but a seemingly constant stream of negativity wont solve anything will it?

All IMHO of course ......

Happy new year!  :y

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2013, 08:25:53 »

Just another rant with no basis in fact.

Abiton

« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2013, 08:37:39 »

I bet they're all happier, more excited and less depressed than you Bionic!  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2013, 09:03:19 »

.... Have the manufacturers and designers build in a mandatory maximum time limit operation on them of a few hours, say 2, that would then cut the game off until a longer set period of say 8 hours had elapsed. ............

They'd soon find a cheat ......  ;)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2013, 09:26:18 »

Happy new year Victor Meldrew   Bionic  ;D ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2013, 10:11:49 »

Bah! I bloody hate Christmas!!!  >:(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2013, 10:49:32 »

::) Now this has to raise a laugh. According to a recent survey done by The Princes' Trust, a very worthy organisation with good intentions, the vast majority of the youths surveyed stated that they were unhappy, depressed, bored and found it difficult to relate to the people and real world circumstances around them.
 ??? That is hardly surprising when the majority of them spend countless hours in a world that is not real, it is a VIRTUAL REALITY one, on their various games consoles, smart phones etc! It seems to me that the problem is that they cannot differentiate between real and imaginary and therefore makes the solution and remedy a very simple one. Stop them accessing and using virtual reality games for long periods of time. Have the manufacturers and designers build in a mandatory maximum time limit operation on them of a few hours, say 2, that would then cut the game off until a longer set period of say 8 hours had elepsed. That way they would then have to spend time in the real world that suirrounds them and adapt back to it  :y Will they like it, of course not because the real world is boring after the many exciting adventures they had in the virtual one which to them had become REAL LIFE.
Why cannot the doogooders and government see that? Are they in some sort of working imaginary virtual world too? ::) ::)
Depressed?  ;) It is the rest of us that have to put up with their selfish ways that should, and have the right to be depressed...........

I take it you expect today's 'Youth' to go through the same life experiences you had growing up?  Well life and technology moves on.  It's simply not the same.  You can't let your children play on the streets, traffic is much heavier, people commute further (so perhaps spend less time as a family unit), entertainment has moved on - my kids won't be rolling a hoop down the street with a stick, they'll be no doubt interested in the latest iStation Box, and probably because their friends think it's 'Mega'.

It's interesting that one of the things I discussed with my other half this Christmas was the way parents generally try and give their kids a bit better that what they had growing up (might be wildly out here, but that was the conclusion we drew).  That means that every generation is likely to get slightly more, bigger and lavish experiences of birthdays, christmases (plural for Christmas? - come on grammar police!)  etc which in turn devalues the occasion a bit each time.  I actually got the wife to put some of the kids presents back into hiding for later in the year, just because I thought she'd gone overboard a bit and they'd reach present saturation where there's too many things to play with.

anyway, i don't usually join in these discussions, and as much as I'd love to be able to turn the clock back a bit and give my kids some of the experiences I had growing up, I'm pretty sure as a kid I'd have loved to have seen some of the amazing things that technology has produced.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2013, 11:56:15 »

Bionic I think your post voices the truth..

Communities grow up their children under their hands and in relatively good condition and far from realities..

We buy them everything as much as we can.. and when the day comes we expect them to deal with realities..

Thats wrong.. like many other things.. besides the education that we give them never prepares them for future..

I have spent nearly 20 years of my life under education and sadly I can say that even the technology given in universities is outdated..

Besides the in this system all those tv shows, serials , adverts,films  are even programmed to make the people demand more , buy more so they raise the level of expectations for life..  And it be will unusual to expect that a young brain wont be effected from all those..

Very simple example , I see samsung note 2 in adverts and I want one.. Game consoles, I dont have.. but stil I want one.. And I'm 46 ;D   and many other things.. 

besides, those children grown up with tv and game culture  being far from books dont have the level of information thats is required to plan their future.. So the current situation is no surprise..      And one more point, I dont think todays adults, grown ups can understand the childrens situation..

We grow up under very different conditions.. When I was a children there was no internet, no computers around and only one tv channel ;D  And I spend most of time playing in the street with marbles, frogs,turtles and on fruit trees ;D    now the post is in the correct place , thanks Admins ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2013, 14:12:32 »

There is always a strong danger of painting all "youth" with the same brush.

However, with and without any surveys that are conducted I know that the vast majority of the children being put under the microscope are just trying to make the best of their young lives, as we once did, in a world WE created.  Whatever is now is down to US, and how we have raised our children in the life we have given them.  I have had the pleasure to be in amongst many youngsters who are very bright, who are trying to understand the world we exist in, and are actively trying very hard to engage with it.

When I was young I remember many adults denigrating the youth of the day, calling many of them "Teddy Boys" when that in reality could be tagged on a minority. So many adults would say "they should join the bloody Army!", just because they had been forced in a position to fight a war!  They forgot that the last thing we wanted our young to do is fight a war, just to become mature adults at an accelerated rate! All generations have felt the same about their youth, but when the cards are down those very same youngsters will do us proud. They are suffering from all the feelings of inadequacy and feeling intimidated by "the system" that we once felt, as they are immature and unsophisticated as you are when you are young, but grow out of eventually. "Depression" can go with that, and I experienced a lot of that myself when I was of a tender age.

So, in short, stop knocking our youth and instead get off your backsides and improve overall life and give the young something they can respect. However, as I say the vast majority of the young are up for the challenge, so give them the jobs and we can then be proud of them and ourselves!.

« Last Edit: 02 January 2013, 14:16:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2013, 14:24:19 »

There is always a strong danger of painting all "youth" with the same brush.

However, with and without any surveys that are conducted I know that the vast majority of the children being put under the microscope are just trying to make the best of their young lives, as we once did, in a world WE created.  Whatever is now is down to US, and how we have raised our children in the life we have given them.  I have had the pleasure to be in amongst many youngsters who are very bright, who are trying to understand the world we exist in, and are actively trying very hard to engage with it.

When I was young I remember many adults denigrating the youth of the day, calling many of them "Teddy Boys" when that in reality could be tagged on a minority. So many adults would say "they should join the bloody Army!", just because they had been forced in a position to fight a war!  They forgot that the last thing we wanted our young to do is fight a war, just to become mature adults at an accelerated rate! All generations have felt the same about their youth, but when the cards are down those very same youngsters will do us proud. They are suffering from all the feelings of inadequacy and feeling intimidated by "the system" that we once felt, as they are immature and unsophisticated as you are when you are young, but grow out of eventually. "Depression" can go with that, and I experienced a lot of that myself when I was of a tender age.

So, in short, stop knocking our youth and instead get off your backsides and improve overall life and give the young something they can respect. However, as I say the vast majority of the young are up for the challenge, so give them the jobs and we can then be proud of them and ourselves!.

Keeping the youngs who faced the war, aside , on a real test high percentage of this grown out adults would have  failed Lizzie.. And I wont even debate about it..

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2013, 16:22:18 »

Yet another lot of depressing waffle.  Bionic get a life and cheer up ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2013, 00:14:03 »

I think it is very easy to paint everybody with the same brush. Problem children are a minority, the same as they were in my generation and all generations. There are many hard working young who have worked hard at school and gone on to university incurring large debts that they have got to pay off before they can think of buying a house, having a family etc. So I think in many respects they have got it much tougher than our generation, where we could afford to do these things at a somewhat younger age.

The current economic depression and high youth unemployment makes it very difficult for today's youth compared to when I started work. I'm also in no doubt the educational system was much better when I went to school, for the simple reason that it was recognized that children have different abilities and we were streamed by ability. We don't need a nation with degrees, but one with a wide range of skills to make society work. The majority of pupils left school at 16 with many apprenticeships and other work based training available, rather than staying in education until they are 21 with non-degrees like leisure and tourism, media studies or drama to end up as an in-debt burger flipper. Schools were also competitive places, so this did not come as a complete shock when you have to go out into the big wide world. We also had the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic, which too many of today's young don't!

Unfortunately, for all concerned schools have been a political and ideological battle between politicians, education authorities, teaching methods, rigid curriculums, grade inflation, petty health and safety rules, teaching unions and teachers with the needs of children and what they need to succeed in life being at the bottom of the list. It is easy to blame teachers, but there is a whole raft of bosses and rules above them which they have to follow whether they like it or not!

There is no doubt that peer and advertising pressure is much stronger than in previous generations, but it is adults that set the rules and standards for TV advertising, film and video game age ratings etc.

In terms of family cohesion and societies attitude towards children and youth, there is much that this country could and should learn from European families and society. It is no surprise that this country is classed as the worst industrialized country in the world to bring up children by the UN.

So rather than just blaming youth, I think as a country and society and as adults we should be taking a good hard look at ourselves. Are we all doing our best to help the next generation succeed?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2013, 07:45:50 »

;)
I have read the replys and now it is my time to respond. I also note that those who use the word rant also do so far more regularly than I do.
Depressed? I have never been that and will never be because I believe that my own life is of my making and therefore I am responsible for matters that affect how I would feel. Stange to call somone depressed that you have never met or know though. I look in the mirror every day and what I see I like, as do my friends, neighbours and family. I am pleased to say that I do have quite a lot of respect due to my work within the area I reside. Nothing negative towards me at all...... Assumptions are all too easy to make but not to justify.
I fully agree with the sentiments of Rods2 who, like me and probably lots more too, appears to have a real grasp on the reality of todays world and have values that are not so different. Some of our youth are intent on bettering themselves and it is they I applaud. It is the remainder I constantly hear whinging they cannot have what they want simply because they think they are entitled to it without any effort being made by them. They are the ones who are intent on being passengers through life, probably taught by their parents in that manner, whom I object to supporting. What I would like to see is that the education system goes back to the 60's where the teachers were respected and called Mr, Mrs or Miss as a sign of respect. Where they actually stood for no nonsense in class and where the vast majority left school able to do the 3 R's efficiently. Home discipline also accounted for the higher levels of respect and self respect in those days past. Bring in a system of National Conscription as the rest of Europe have for a couple of years. It not do me any wrong and taught me self discipline, to think independantly, respect myself, respect others and work as a team. I ended up being promoted and left after the 9 years service I had agreed to.
As for those who are of the opposite viewpoint you can have ago as much as you like but at the end of the day I tend to live in the real world of free speech and opinion and can see no optimism when so many are so very obviously intent on losing the credibility of this once great country by their own power seeking, self glorifying and attention seeking grandstanding.
Fortunately there are those of us who have an independant mind and will not bow like sheep to the wishes of those who are quite happy to be led like them. Funny how it is those who tend to happy being a part of the in crowd that sceam the loudest when something they have agreed with ends up hurting, instead of bettering their lives. vAs for the waffle about no jobs, yes, well that came about by the natural development of technology and mechanisation where the use of mass labour was no longer required. It is the same throughout the whole of the developed world and the youth of this country should accept that. By accepting that it does not follow that they should simply give up looking, trying or even starting their own little business as many of us older ones used to do to help out with the family incomes which in those days were lower than today. Whinging never got anyone anywhere and it never will because at some point the sympathy factor runs out.
Polititians too can only do the best they can and they cannot do 'miracles' simply because there are those who demand action. Tgis countries money was wasted by the other party in power for years who did nothing but borrow borrow borrow and then borrow to pay the inerest on those loans! That is why we are in the state we are in today and the government is doing the best it can to get rid of that massive, massive legacy of debt left to them by their predecessors! This country is almost broke and almost fell into bankruptcy which is why the drastic painful action was deemed necessary. Labour dispute that fact but it is the truth. I now do not support my past lifelong Labour Party because they are as far as I can see the worst choice for this countries future. They would, if they ever gained power again, only do as they had done so many times before and increase the National Debt. That is called a fact of life. Same applies to strikes, they are too easily put into action and care not for the associated damage they cause to others. Too many strikes eventually did for the miners, eventually they also lost public support and that is a lesson that should not be forgotten by those who are now considering the same type of action to bully their way forward.
Fact is that the strikes will go ahead though and once again it will not be their fault for the damage they cause. Bet its the teachers who will be the first strike too..... ::)
« Last Edit: 03 January 2013, 07:53:57 by Bionic »
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2013, 07:51:54 »

Any chance you can split that lot up into paragraphs Victor ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.