Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Santander Scam  (Read 1032 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
Santander Scam
« on: 03 February 2023, 14:52:45 »

has anybody received a message supposedly from Santander saying " Did you try to buy something from Argos for £359 if you did enter the 6 digit code to authorise the transaction. If it wasn,t you call Santander on 03330067715.  i got it yesterday but i have never banked with that bank. anyway i googled it & came across an article by Martin Lewis warning its a scam. he warned not to ring the number . but I think the scam would only work if Santander was your bank.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Santander Scam
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2023, 17:39:36 »

Christ alive Ray, you certainly get more than your fair share of these dodgy messages.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2023, 18:10:38 »

Do you share interwebs with Varche and Skuntie?  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2023, 19:21:31 »

Christ alive Ray, you certainly get more than your fair share of these dodgy messages.  ;D
We all get them, Ron. We immediately recognise them as junk and bin them.
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2023, 21:28:03 »

We all get them, Ron. We immediately recognise them as junk and bin them.
I was trying to be polite Steve.  ;)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2023, 14:06:39 »

For scam/phising emails, the email marketing software knows you've interacted with an email so I just hover over the sender to see if it's cloaked email adress, then if it is just leave it without opening it or moving it to spam, after a couple of weeks just delete it, by that times the spammer will have moved to a new campaign of spamming people, as they continually create new sender email addresses to spam from.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2023, 19:38:01 »

Had one this morning that started, 'Hi Mum'. She's got her own phone for Christ's sake. Went on to say that they had broken their phone and was using their mates etc. etc. Scamming fackers.  >:(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2023, 21:10:06 »

Had one this morning that started, 'Hi Mum'. She's got her own phone for Christ's sake. Went on to say that they had broken their phone and was using their mates etc. etc. Scamming fackers.  >:(
I get fake answer phone messages asking me to visit etc  ,Mum's phone number , even sounds like my Mum's voice  :P

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2023, 00:11:03 »

has anybody received a message supposedly from Santander saying " Did you try to buy something from Argos for £359 if you did enter the 6 digit code to authorise the transaction. If it wasn,t you call Santander on 03330067715.  i got it yesterday but i have never banked with that bank. anyway i googled it & came across an article by Martin Lewis warning its a scam. he warned not to ring the number . but I think the scam would only work if Santander was your bank.

98 times out of 100 (or even 1000) any such a message will be 'dangle berries'. Unless there is some identifier such as your name or postcode, but even then treat it with great suspicion.

I get loads. Always just delete them and think no more about it. So far no repercussions so they've all been attempted scams. Even if it's supposedly from the bank that I actually usem (which is rare).

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2023, 08:53:39 »

The only thing I get now are the Indian computer " experts" ringing me up about a fault with my computer ( we don't have one) I let them ramble on for a while then blow my now retired prison service whistle down the phone adding the words " f**k of you scummy c**t" .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2023, 15:40:42 »

The only thing I get now are the Indian computer " experts" ringing me up about a fault with my computer ( we don't have one) I let them ramble on for a while then blow my now retired prison service whistle down the phone adding the words " f**k of you scummy c**t" .
I would imagine after that, the toerags wouldn't be able to hear anything at all for a while.  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2023, 16:10:03 »

I would imagine after that, the toerags wouldn't be able to hear anything at all for a while. 

The last time I used it the scrote said " you think You're a clever motherfu**er" Yes indeed I replied..😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2023, 09:36:15 »

If you get repeated calls, you're already on a suckers list, so be extra vigilant.  For the most part, these calls should be easy to spot for anyone, so all the usual stuff applies*

Email addresses are essentially in the public domain, so whilst there are suckers lists for email, most scammers don't bother, and just use one of the low cost 10bn addresses for a tenner type lists, some have more demographic data than others.  Some even have things like postcodes, making it a bit easier for the scammers to hook.

Anyone who thinks they are above this are some of the easiest to reel in if its a more targeted attack, as has been proven time and time again.

*So:
Never, ever click links in emails, or call the number in an email (use the company's website to find the correct number).
Never call a bank etc back on the line they just called you on - use another line, or call a family/friend first, to ensure they haven't locked the line.
There is never a legitimate reason for hurrying you to do things instantly, this is a known technique to get the victim's brain into a state of panic, as used very effectively in retail "sales".  If the deal/option is only available right now, its a scam.
If you see something too good to be true, speak it through with a family/friend first, as its pretty likely its a scam.
Assume every unsolicited incoming call/email is a scam.
Big egos are the easiest to fleece.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2023, 10:09:26 »

I don't mind getting the calls occasionally, brightens up my day dealing with the odd piece of shite, must be missing the job.😂
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.