Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hmmmm something not quite right about this one...  (Read 7738 times)

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmmm something not quite right about this one...
« Reply #45 on: 27 December 2009, 23:19:07 »

The insurance would see the panels as modified as their not meant for that model or year of make.
Also as you state if  you can get the right panels cheap why didn't the person who fixed the car
It just makes me along with others on this site think why didn't the person who repaired the car did not use the right panels in the first place,this is the bit we think its strange and rings bells.
Say you fixed damaged cars to resale and for a living wouldn't you fix it right and not make it a hybrid

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 December 2009, 23:27:44 »

The insurance would see the panels as modified as their not meant for that model or year of make.
Also as you state if  you can get the right panels cheap why didn't the person who fixed the car
It just makes me along with others on this site think why didn't the person who repaired the car did not use the right panels in the first place,this is the bit we think its strange and rings bells.
Say you fixed damaged cars to resale and for a living wouldn't you fix it right and not make it a hybrid

Yep, I definitely would, especially considering the difference in the two models is considerable.

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt the difference in bumper and bonnet would make any difference to an Insurance Company.  It's not something you'd even know about if you didn't have an extensive knowledge of cars and their progression through the years.

That particular car has obviously been repaired evither wrongly or as cheaply as possible.... perhaps with second hand panels.  That still wouldn't deter me if the car tracked well non cosmetic components such as the radiator were replaced correctly.

If it goes for a low price, someone has a bargain.

Cut & Shut is pretty much out of the question........ FAR too much work getting the dash right.

I'll openly admit that the car is NOT honest.... doesn't mean to say it isnt a good buy, at the right price of course.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #47 on: 27 December 2009, 23:32:23 »

put it this way,i wouldn't buy the car due to what everyone has noticed about the front customising.Try selling the car with a identity complex.It is listed as a 2002 though.to me it's worth about £50 unless the front gets put back as it should be.
If you want something half descent mines for sale on the same site.

I completely disagree.  Accident damaged vehicles are usually NOT a waste of money.  The Meega I bought recently has suffered a front end impact.  In the History, I have the full details including every part which was replaced, right down to the plastic clips etc etc.

The accident damage didn't worry me one little bit as I had evidence of who and how it was repaired.  Chances are, the front end of my car is better built than from Factory  ;D

Sorry i highly doubt that, we may mock the Germans, but they know how to put cars together, and the Omega was built in Munich.
You repair was done by some lads in Bristol, accident damaged cars will affect value hugely, and Omegas are not exactly rare (despite eBay sellers claims)

You can afford to hunt around for an example that has not been messed around with.

But thats just my opinion :)

Oh no it wasn't. ALL Omegas/Carltons/Senators were built in Russelsheim just outside Frankfurt. All the V6 engines for Omegas were built in Ellesmere Port. Its Mercedes that's based in Munich.

albitz

« Reply #48 on: 27 December 2009, 23:38:58 »

Not like Tunnie to get his facts wrong. ::) ::)  ;) ;) ;D ;D :-X :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 December 2009, 23:43:38 »

There wasn't this discussion about the incorrect panels/bumpers etc when a member here 'modified' his prefacelift car with later panels a couple of years back ........   ;)  ;)  :y

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 27 December 2009, 23:47:25 »

There wasn't this discussion about the incorrect panels/bumpers etc when a member here 'modified' his prefacelift car with later panels a couple of years back ........   ;)  ;)  :y

rings a bell but why only do the front to make the car look older.make a car look younger that makes sense,old no

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 December 2009, 23:50:13 »

rings a bell but why only do the front to make the car look older.make a car look younger that makes sense,old no

I personally think the front of the facelift Omega looks cack.  The side moldings and rear look much better than the earlier models.  Page 1 of this thread shows other people preferring the earlier model.

Horses for courses, surely.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #52 on: 27 December 2009, 23:56:37 »

Not like Tunnie to get his facts wrong. ::) ::)  ;) ;) ;D ;D :-X :-X

I know this one for a fact - I used to work for GM and visited Russelsheim many many times over a 10 year period.

Of the direct GM made stuff the other sources will be:

AR25/35 gearboxes are French

Manual gearboxes coming are Austrian.

Sparkplugs and various filters from Dunstable

Electric window mechanisms & seatbelts from Belfast

4 Cyl engines are either Australian or Austrian

Thats all I can remember - but there is lots & lots of stuff bought in from Bosch, TRW, Philips, Recaro etc ....

Hope thats of interest .........

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 28 December 2009, 01:15:06 »

No insurance company would repair a car with older panels. cut and shuts can involve any part of a car. I've seen sawn off front chassis legs rewelded. In America, they call it a front clip

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 28 December 2009, 01:32:06 »

No insurance company would repair a car with older panels.

Insurance companies dont repair cars lol.  I worked for Zurich.  Insurance companies generally want their 'preferred' body shop to carry out repairs, but by law, they must give the option for the policy holder to get the work done at THEIR 'preferred' body shop, provided the cost involved is in the same ball park.

None of us actually know this car's history, so we are just guessing.  My guess is that it has been repaired with cheap second hand bits paid for by insurance by a body shop known by the owner of the car (at the time of the accident).  Policy holder and body shop pocket a few quid in the deal.  It happens all the time.

For the sake of a couple of quid, I might just HPI it.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2009, 01:34:13 by Broomies_Mate »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 28 December 2009, 01:56:47 »

Make & Model  Vauxhall Omega Cd Auto
VIN Check You have not performed a VIN check yet.
Engine Size 2198cc
Engine Number 31035228
First Registered 30 Nov 2002
Year Manufactured 2002
Former Keepers 3
Last Keeper Change The last recorded change of keeper occurred on 25 Jul 2009
Body 4 Door Saloon
Colour Blue
Fuel Petrol

Vehicle Checks
Colour changes There is no record of this registration being subject to a colour change.
Plate Transfer There is no record of this registration being involved in a plate transfer.
Scrapped There is no record of this registration being scrapped.
Exported There is no record of this registration being exported.
Stolen There is no record of this registration being stolen.
Stolen & Recovered There is no record of this registration being stolen & recovered.
Insurance Write-off There is no record of this registration being written-off.
Vehicle I.D. Check There is no record of this registration being subject to a Vehicle Identity Check.

Recorded Mileages

We have the following mileages recorded for this registration:

* 122,000 miles recorded on 17 Apr 2008
    * 13,516 miles recorded on 13 Oct 2003

zippo

• Omega Baron
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 28 December 2009, 01:58:31 »

i cant belive he didn't know the car has the wrong front end on it

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 28 December 2009, 01:59:17 »

Just a cheapy check to find out the basics.

I wonder why there is a gap between 2003 and 2008 with regards to mileage.  *pensive*

I was under the impression that this data came from the electronic MOT test shizzle.  So should have had mileage data from 2005 onwards.  Data previous (3 years of not requiring an MOT) came from Main Dealer Servicing).
« Last Edit: 28 December 2009, 01:59:51 by Broomies_Mate »

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 28 December 2009, 10:43:55 »

Interesting thread with many a diverse opinion as to how the old front end ended up on the newer car....

My personal bet is crash damage that was not done through the insurance using second hand prefacelift parts as that was all that was available cheap then sold through auction....

There is no need for 'cutting and shutting' between pre and facelifts.  All panels bolt on/off...

As to a car being repaired anywhere other than the factory being a lesser car - thats absolute and utter 'dangle berries'....    ;D  ;D  ;D   

I have been in and around the car repair business through members of my family for over 40 years, one way or another, and the attention to detail by experienced 'beaters and painters far outweighs panel fittes on a production line, IMHO !! 

Yes, the car is an ugly duckling and its the source of great merriment to those on here with knowledge of the ins and outs of the marque, but does that make it a bad car for a (certain) price??

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 28 December 2009, 11:21:06 »

A valid point to a certain extent.I've had many cat D cars with no problems whatsoever. However, there are many people like Diane (onhisown) who are buying their Omegas for the first time. Someone like you or I can spot a shoddy repair from a mile off but someone less well trained? If you spotted something that you thought was wrong,you'd flag it up. The car has bids on it and may well be used to transport someone's family. At this price, the so called bargain may well be a death trap.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.