Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel consumption  (Read 1964 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Fuel consumption
« on: 31 December 2009, 15:22:53 »

It has been mentioned previously that chipped 2.5 tractors get better fuel figures than standard. I certainly get better figures on the computer readout, it went up by about 10m.p.g. as soon as it was chipped, but empirical tests show that there is virtually no improvement on either long journeys or local. I would be interested to know why the  chipping affects the readout this way. Also, have others carried out proper mpg test before and after chipping?

TIA

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel consumption
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2009, 16:11:45 »

I not really done any proper checks, like brim the tank, use, then brim it again. But I reckon on getting a better mpg on short stop/start type journeys now it's chipped. Pre chipped around 28-30mpg, now it's more but I think I need to get in there and give it a good clean out, give it some diesel magic.

See here http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260207198 I'm also getting wild reading on the comp read out.........but well worth the chipping for the extra power :y

Mick ;)

« Last Edit: 31 December 2009, 16:12:32 by MickAP »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2009, 16:32:26 »

I not really done any proper checks, like brim the tank, use, then brim it again. But I reckon on getting a better mpg on short stop/start type journeys now it's chipped. Pre chipped around 28-30mpg, now it's more but I think I need to get in there and give it a good clean out, give it some diesel magic.

See here [url]http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260207198[/url] I'm also getting wild reading on the comp read out.........but well worth the chipping for the extra power :y

Mick ;)

Hi Mick,

Hmmmm, yes well I saw that earlier, and you'll excuse me for wondering whether you were coasting downhill half a mile from resetting the computer! But I'm glad that you confirmed my incorrect post-chipped readings. I am interested that you get better than 28-30 on short runs. I have never achieved that, best I get on local (up to 15m each way) is about 26. I intend removing the viscous fan when I do a belt and water pump change shortly, but cannot imagine much improvement from that.  :y :y :y

waspy

« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2009, 16:36:06 »

See here [url]http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260207198[/url] I'm also getting wild reading on the comp read out.........but well worth the chipping for the extra power :y

Mick ;)

Hi Mick,

Hmmmm, yes well I saw that earlier, and you'll excuse me for wondering whether you were coasting downhill half a mile from resetting the computer! But I'm glad that you confirmed my incorrect post-chipped readings. I am interested that you get better than 28-30 on short runs. I have never achieved that, best I get on local (up to 15m each way) is about 26. I intend removing the viscous fan when I do a belt and water pump change shortly, but cannot imagine much improvement from that.  :y :y :y

I would've expected more :o My DTi does 42 kicking around :) :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2009, 16:40:47 »

Mick ;)

Hi Mick,

Probably common rail injection. :y

Dodger

• Intermediate Member
  • Here in the sunny south!
  • I taught I saw a puddytat!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2009, 20:22:52 »

Mick ;)

Hi Mick,

Probably common rail injection. :y

Probably 2.2 as well, rather than 2.5! :)
I always knew I'd inherit an estate, but I never thought this would be it!

waspy

« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2009, 20:27:43 »

My old 2.5 diesel Rover 800 did a respectable 39 kicking around & cruising at 80-90 returned 36. Though they are a slightly lighter car ;)
Veg oil too :) :)

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2009, 20:38:44 »

Mick ;)

Hi Mick,

Those figures were after a run down to Wiltshire from here in Derbyshire. Wildly out I know, it's been like that since it was chipped. I tow a caravan and before it was chipped I was getting up to 28 mpg towing. Now I've changed to a heaveir van and had it chipped I average around 23-25 towing, van weighs around 1400kg.
Trouble is now I can't really tell what it's doing mpg wise properly. I don't use it that much and if I do it's a shortish journey or towing. As said I'm going to try and give it a clean up and new filter and stick some diesel magic through it to improve things.

Mick

waspy

« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2009, 20:49:13 »

Mick ;)

Hi Mick,

Those figures were after a run down to Wiltshire from here in Derbyshire. Wildly out I know, it's been like that since it was chipped. I tow a caravan and before it was chipped I was getting up to 28 mpg towing. Now I've changed to a heaveir van and had it chipped I average around 23-25 towing, van weighs around 1400kg.
Trouble is now I can't really tell what it's doing mpg wise properly. I don't use it that much and if I do it's a shortish journey or towing. As said I'm going to try and give it a clean up and new filter and stick some diesel magic through it to improve things.

Mick

Mine gets this regular. She's ready for a treatment soon, but i'll wait until i advertise & then she'll get the works for the new owner :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 January 2010, 09:27:26 »

I got about a 10-15% improvement in mpg (real figures, not mid), but found mid overread by a further 10%ish

My old auto went from high 20s mpg to low 30s, mid read high 30s.

(I did have a very lead foot)
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2010, 09:45:47 »

I got about a 10-15% improvement in mpg (real figures, not mid), but found mid overread by a further 10%ish

My old auto went from high 20s mpg to low 30s, mid read high 30s.

(I did have a very lead foot)

What do you mean, did? ;D
« Last Edit: 01 January 2010, 10:24:35 by TheBoy »
I like red cars

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2010, 10:42:45 »

TBH I have not done an actual test on a long run so can only go on the three I have done locally. Longest journey being 15m EW and normal 6m EW on windy slow roads.

Actual consumption averaging 24.92 over the above journeys. Normal service items all done and good. Perhaps I should be looking for reasons. :-/ :-/ ::)

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2010, 11:34:20 »

TBH I have not done an actual test on a long run so can only go on the three I have done locally. Longest journey being 15m EW and normal 6m EW on windy slow roads.

Actual consumption averaging 24.92 over the above journeys. Normal service items all done and good. Perhaps I should be looking for reasons. :-/ :-/ ::)

So would I with those mpg figures, you should be hitting at least 30mpg whatever distance you drive :y

Mick ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2010, 13:16:43 »

So would I with those mpg figures, you should be hitting at least 30mpg whatever distance you drive :y

Mick ;)

I welcome any helpful suggestions :y :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.