Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CDR 2005 volume control  (Read 3134 times)

Nickbat

CDR 2005 volume control
« on: 13 August 2007, 12:33:23 »

The steering wheel volume control works fine, but turning the knob on the unit makes randomly quietens it or mutes with each click. Also, the knob has no stop on it, you can just carry on turning it and turning it. Used to be OK, but the kids were playing with it and it hasn't been the same since. :(

Repairable or not?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: CDR 2005 volume control
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2007, 12:39:36 »

The steering wheel volume control works fine, but turning the knob on the unit makes randomly quietens it or mutes with each click. Also, the knob has no stop on it, you can just carry on turning it and turning it. Used to be OK, but the kids were playing with it and it hasn't been the same since. :(

Repairable or not?
Ah. Replace the pot.
Grumpy old man

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2007, 13:16:31 »

I Had This On My CCR 2006 that was one of the main reasons i pulled it out as it was getting on my nervous
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2007, 13:57:26 »

the volume knob on the CDR2005 isn't meant to have a stop as far as i know, turning the knob clockwise taps a button inside to increase volume, anticlockwise to decrease, so its not an analogue control even though it "appears" to be

Nickbat

« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2007, 14:45:52 »

Repairable or not?
Ah. Replace the pot.

The pot?

Where do I get one and do I have to dismantle the unit and solder a new one in?

Nick

BTW, Jaime, camlock kit was sent back by mail this morning. Thanks very much for the loan. :y

Nickbat

« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2007, 21:43:45 »

Thought I'd resurrect this post as I still don't know what the pot is, where I can get one and how I physically replace it.

Anyone any ideas?

BrokenAgain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2007, 23:57:47 »

Not sure about the CDR2005 but have had a similar problem with a CCR 2006 the volume knob works a rotary (digital) encoder when you turn it ( as someone said its like tapping a volume up or down button as you turn it. )   If you pull the volume knob out and turn it, it adjusts the balance ( left/right )  and this was playing up, if you just touched the knob you lost almost all of the left or right channel...  It turned out to be just be a couple of dry joints where the pots ( for balance) were soldered in ( just needed resoldering no components necessary)

Procedure was roughly:-
   remove the unit, ( Make sure you have the radio code, small alan key for security screws + double din removal tool )

Remember electronics, are best done at a static safe electronics workstation by someone that knows what they are doing for both your safety and depending how paranoid you are to not damaging your radio... so don't continue if you don't know what you are doing and understand the risks ( electric shock from capacitors in the radio etc.... )
  Oops, started to sound a bit like a lawyer there (which I'm not) , but basically don't blame me if ANYTHING goes wrong....

remove small torx screws on the sides which hold the plastic front panel in place
   I think there where also small plastic catches which need to be moved slightly positioned sort of beween the two halfs of the unit ( radio-cass/cd-changer)
   Ease the front panel off, which was plugged into the rest of the unit - watch out yours may be different and have delicate ribbon cables or something ...

Look at the volume/balance control, you can see the two pots and rotary encoder on a tiny circuit board on the back of it.
   Examine the soldering on the joints for the encoder and pots.
   Resolder any dry joints ( or get someone else to if you've not got the skill to do it your self.... )
   Carefully inspect to check no solder had gone astray and shorting anything out!!

Reverse instructions to refit, ( though obviously dont desolder the joints ;)   )

Not sure where you'd get replacement pots if you need them, you could try www.cpc.co.uk, or farnell, maplin etc, maybe even try asking at your local tv repair shop....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2007, 10:35:28 »

.. Just to add if it's a pot that's gone noisy sometimes a squirt of switch cleaner / lubricant will revive them (sometimes only temporarily).

The top comes off a CCR2006 quite easily (see my howto on fitting line level outputs) so this is another option to get at the controls, although I don't recall how much access this gives you. Hopefully enough for a squirt of switch cleaner.

I would imagine the configuration of a rotary encoder, push button switch and pot for the balance control is an unusual one and it may well be difficult to find a new replacement. You may have to keep an eye out for an otherwise knackered radio to break for spares.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BrokenAgain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2007, 22:03:39 »

.. Just to add if it's a pot that's gone noisy sometimes a squirt of switch cleaner / lubricant will revive them (sometimes only temporarily).

The top comes off a CCR2006 quite easily (see my howto on fitting line level outputs) so this is another option to get at the controls, although I don't recall how much access this gives you. Hopefully enough for a squirt of switch cleaner.

I would imagine the configuration of a rotary encoder, push button switch and pot for the balance control is an unusual one and it may well be difficult to find a new replacement. You may have to keep an eye out for an otherwise knackered radio to break for spares.

Kevin

Not sure if I made taking the front off sound complicated, but its really a trivial 5 min job ( provided you have a suitable torx screwdriver of course..)  and the pots and switches are attached to the back of the front panel so you get really good access this way, and can have a good look at the solder joints, or spray the pots with something ( worth looking at the soldering first though as spraying them unnecessarily could cause problems with the pots they didn't already have I'd imagine. )

You could consider spraying them with something like "Deoxit Fader Lube Potentiometer Cleaner"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Caig-Deoxit-Fader-Lube-Potentiometer-Cleaner-14g_W0QQitemZ170143915871QQihZ007QQcategoryZ21145QQcmdZViewItem
( I've never used the stuff, so I can't say if its any better than spraying them with contact cleaner though.)

I suppose if the pots are broken and you can't find replacments you might could remove them ( or cut their pins off, and leave them on the switch stack), and replace with fixed resistors ( though getting the balance centered this way could be a problem ).

Or it could actually be the rotary encoder which is faulty.
Does the volume alter when you just touch the control?
Or is it only when you turn it?
Does it sound as if you loose volume one channel ( left of right), or both together?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2007, 09:27:09 »

Taking off the front panel does sound the best option for access to the pots. TBH I suspect a dry joint going to the "down" switch in the rotary encoder as in this case it seems that the volume is turning itself down. Didn't mean to confuse things by talking about taking the top off.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nickbat

« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2007, 23:28:24 »

Thanks guys.  :y  I'd given up on this thread, so I only just noticed your replies.  ;)

The volume control just does on/off and volume, I think, not left/right balance. If you turn the knob the volume either disappears, comes back on, goes quieter or goes louder. Well, everything really, but there's no logical sequence.

Could be a dry joint, I suppose, but I'm not really up on these things. I can use a soldering iron, but I'm no expert. I think I may have to take it somewhere for repair.  :(

Nickbat

« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2007, 23:30:09 »

Come to think of it, it doesn't go louder when the knob is turned. Either quieter or off entirely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.