Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garages and Locking Wheel Nuts  (Read 2040 times)

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
Garages and Locking Wheel Nuts
« on: 25 August 2012, 18:30:28 »

Why do garages bang on the locking wheel nuts with the windy gun .
Tried to get the rear wheels off today to inspect rear pads and couldnt get the lock nuts to move .... the bend in my breaker bar was quite impressive .
Every time i have a car in a garage that involves having the wheels off i always ask them to leave the lock bolt loose so i can do it up myself to the correct torque .
But no ... every time you go back there banged on as tight as the windy gun can go .
Managed to loosen the other bolts but the lock bolt wouldnt move ... and of course the locking nut was the last one to try .
Cant remember the last time the rears were of mind you but they do not need to be as tight as that ....
Hope i dont get a puncture before i can get to a garage to have them loosened off as im working all weekend and cant get there till Tuesday .

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

cem_devecioglu

Re: Garages and Locking Wheel Nuts
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2012, 18:38:16 »

the last garage who tried max force on bolts , did hear bad things from me >:(  because I break the bar and cut my hand.. >:( >:(

after that  I never let anyone torque them :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2012, 18:45:52 »

Simples. Don't use garages ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2012, 18:46:37 »

Or don't use locking wheelnuts (change them when you get home if you really think anyone wants your Omega wheels ;D)
Grumpy old man

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2012, 19:08:01 »

Or don't use locking wheelnuts (change them when you get home if you really think anyone wants your Omega wheels ;D)

I was just looking online for some standard normal wheel bolts and getting rid of the locking bolts.
As you say no one will want these wheels but still doesnt solve the issue of getting them loose to get rid of them .
Im sure the fronts will be stupidly tight as well.

As for garages , sometimes there is no choice unfortunatly. :'(
Im not as confident as some at doing jobs  :-[.... I've had a timing belt kit in the boot for 3 months now but can't summon up the courage to attempt it for fear of disaster and been stuck without a car  :-\
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2012, 19:12:05 »

I was just looking online for some standard normal wheel bolts and getting rid of the locking bolts.
As you say no one will want these wheels but still doesnt solve the issue of getting them loose to get rid of them .

Im not as confident as some at doing jobs  :-[.... I've had a timing belt kit in the boot for 3 months now but can't summon up the courage to attempt it for fear of disaster and been stuck without a car  :-\
If you fancy a short drive down to Bristol :D :D or I`ll give you £30 for it being as it`s secondhand ;D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2012, 19:19:53 »

Have you not still got the original four spare in the locking kit box.  :-\
As said, you could always swap them back when you get back from the garage. I've got one of those extending socket bars and that makes life a bit easier.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2012, 19:35:35 »

As said, you could always swap them back when you get back from the garage. I've got one of those extending socket bars and that makes life a bit easier.  :y

No i was never given any spare bolts with the car ....I had an extending bar on it as well as a long bar and the thing wouldnt budge ... two of us had a go but no joy .

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2012, 19:47:59 »

No i was never given any spare bolts with the car ....I had an extending bar on it as well as a long bar and the thing wouldnt budge ... two of us had a go but no joy .

Arh the old windy gun strikes again , last 2 locking bolts on my carlton had to be burnt off with a welding torch  :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2012, 19:49:45 »

Facelift locking keys are easily wrecked with impact guns
Grumpy old man

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2012, 20:09:15 »

Facelift locking keys are easily wrecked with impact guns
Indeed, I've seen LOTS of rounded off locking wheel nut keys...

I had an extending bar on it as well as a long bar and the thing wouldnt budge ... two of us had a go but no joy .
...your's must be VERY good ones to have survived that.

I always go around all four wheels and loosen the lockers first (assuming you can even find the key) that way there is less tension on the locking wheel nuts when undoing them.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2012, 20:12:46 »

Facelift   any locking keys are easily wrecked with impact guns

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2012, 22:17:10 »

The only people apart from me who remove/refit my wheels are tyre fitters.  I always tell them I will personally cut off their bollux if they use a windy on a locker - keep the key in your pocket until they need it to ensure they remove/refit it manually.  Last time a tyre place fecked one of my lockers (a few years back), I got them to replace it (ie pay for it) with a new one!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2012, 00:36:02 »

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.