Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JLS  (Read 2923 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: JLS
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2013, 09:59:15 »

I think Lizzie's comparison of JLS to The Beatles is a good one, after all The Beatles were the original boy band, weren't they??  :-\  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2013, 10:08:20 »

I think Lizzie's comparison of JLS to The Beatles is a good one, after all The Beatles were the original boy band, weren't they??  :-\  :)

A few subtle differences though .... Beatles wrote their own music, played their own instruments, and started as a "local" band doing gigs in halls and pubs ...  in other words they learned their craft ..

JLS a "made" band who relied on producers and technicians to tell them what to do and when.

IMHO no comparison as musicians, perhaps as entertainers, but that's a different matter .. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2013, 10:22:23 »

Who :-\

omega3000

« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2013, 11:23:18 »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2013, 12:50:13 »

A few subtle differences though .... Beatles wrote their own music, played their own instruments, and started as a "local" band doing gigs in halls and pubs ...  in other words they learned their craft ..

JLS a "made" band who relied on producers and technicians to tell them what to do and when.

IMHO no comparison as musicians, perhaps as entertainers, but that's a different matter .. :)

I agree Entwood.  I would also add that The Monkeys, who were introduced to the music scene by the Americans as their answer to The Beatles, were very much a "made" band in the very same way as JLS , but at least The Monkeys (almost) played their own instruments! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

cleggy

« Reply #20 on: 25 April 2013, 13:38:34 »

I agree Entwood.  I would also add that The Monkeys, who were introduced to the music scene by the Americans as their answer to The Beatles, were very much a "made" band in the very same way as JLS , but at least The Monkeys (almost) played their own instruments! [/highlight] ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

The first man made boy band who didn't play any instruments on the recordings in fact the vocals were IMOH down in the main backing singers, bloody good writers though Boyce & Hart.

Pretty little boys made for pubescent little girls to waste their money >:( >:( >:( Absolute CRAP
« Last Edit: 25 April 2013, 13:49:14 by Cleggy »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #21 on: 25 April 2013, 13:41:30 »

I agree Entwood.  I would also add that The Monkeys, who were introduced to the music scene by the Americans as their answer to The Beatles, were very much a "made" band in the very same way as JLS , but at least The Monkeys (almost) played their own instruments! [/highlight] ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

The first man made boy band who didn't any instruments on the recordings in fact the vocals were IMOH down in the main backing singers.

Pretty little boys made for pubescent little girls to waste their money >:( >:( >:( Absolute CRAP

Ah, Cleggy, Davy Jones was cute (and British)! :( :( ;D ;D ;D ;)

I was a Beatles No.1 fan from 1963 so I know what you mean! :D :D :y :y

Paul and John were gorgeous :-* :-* :-* :-* 8) 8) 8) :y :y :D :D

cleggy

« Reply #22 on: 25 April 2013, 13:43:43 »

The first man made boy band who didn't any instruments on the recordings in fact the vocals were IMOH down in the main backing singers.

Lizzie I saw them at Bradford Gaumont in 1964 where a brilliant Mary Wells was the second on the bill. :y :y :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 April 2013, 13:46:35 »

The Monkeys were originally never intended to be a "pop group" as we define one .. they were manufactured purely for the TV show they were part of ... a TV show about a fictitious pop group. It was only when the american public started demanding to buy the tracks played on the TV show that the group entered the "pop world" rather than the "acting world".

Yes - manufactured, Yes - rubbish, but for totally different reasons to the "modern" manufactured rubbish

As described on Wikipaedia ..

"Described by band member Micky Dolenz as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band that wanted to be The Beatles, but that was never successful", the actor-musicians soon became a real band. As Dolenz would later describe it, "The Monkees really becoming a band was like the equivalent of Leonard Nimoy really becoming a Vulcan."

:) :) :)

cleggy

« Reply #24 on: 25 April 2013, 13:50:51 »

The Monkeys were originally never intended to be a "pop group" as we define one .. they were manufactured purely for the TV show they were part of ... a TV show about a fictitious pop group. It was only when the american public started demanding to buy the tracks played on the TV show that the group entered the "pop world" rather than the "acting world".

Yes - manufactured, Yes - rubbish, but for totally different reasons to the "modern" manufactured rubbish

"Described by band member Micky Dolenz as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band that wanted to be The Beatles, but that was never successful", the actor-musicians soon became a real band. As Dolenz would later describe it, "The Monkees really becoming a band was like the equivalent of Leonard Nimoy really becoming a Vulcan."

Ah the circus boy and Ena's grandson  ;) I thought he was a Vulcan ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #25 on: 25 April 2013, 14:19:00 »

Lizzie I saw them at Bradford Gaumont in 1964 where a brilliant Mary Wells was the second on the bill. :y :y :y :y

I am jealous!  I was in Malta then! :'( :'(

I once saw Paul and Linda in about 1972, but never, much to me shame, managed to get to a live Beatles performance :'( :'( :'( :'(

:y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #26 on: 25 April 2013, 14:20:27 »

That is a very accurate description Nigel :y :y

cleggy

« Reply #27 on: 25 April 2013, 14:29:18 »

This applies to all of todays manufactured groups:-

Pretty little boys made for pubescent little girls to waste their money Absolute CRAP >:( >:( >:( >:(
OR
Sexy little girls made for hormonal teenage boys to waste their money and energy on ::)  Absolute CRAP >:( >:( >:( >:(

They are an insult to proper muscians learning their craft the hard way, who are so much better :y

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 25 April 2013, 15:46:32 »

The Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson in particular, were creating actual proper original music when the Quarrymen were still performing really poor covers of The Rock Island Line ::)

Never been much of a Beatles fan me  ;D

cleggy

« Reply #29 on: 25 April 2013, 16:09:58 »

Slightly biased view there, The Beach Boys fist single was released in October 1962 with the Beatles only  a few months behind in March 1963.

So I would like to say that they were equal in terms on recording and pre recording days, with the Beatles being formed earlier in 1960 and the Beach Boys in 1961 ( although they were a family) greatly influenced by Jan & Dean

I like both, very talented  unlike the dross produced today :y
« Last Edit: 25 April 2013, 16:12:42 by Cleggy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.