Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine issue (non-Omega) any ideas?  (Read 4364 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Engine issue (non-Omega) any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: 21 July 2010, 09:44:43 »

Update; after 30 miles 6,000 rpm thrash last night eggy smell went, slight brown smoke under heavy revving.

This morning-oil dropped quarter way from max-min from checking before the 30 mile hard run last night.  Started up, slight blue/white smoke, let it idle, revved it-palls and palls of acrid white smoke with some blue and grey, kept revving it until it cleared.  Now giving blue smoke on throttle.  Drives perfect.

I have the engine change booked for Saturday am; what do I do?

Go for the engine change.......

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 July 2010, 18:30:05 »

Update; after 30 miles 6,000 rpm thrash last night eggy smell went, slight brown smoke under heavy revving.

This morning-oil dropped quarter way from max-min from checking before the 30 mile hard run last night.  Started up, slight blue/white smoke, let it idle, revved it-palls and palls of acrid white smoke with some blue and grey, kept revving it until it cleared.  Now giving blue smoke on throttle.  Drives perfect.

I have the engine change booked for Saturday am; what do I do?

Go for the engine change.......

The boys are coming with the 2006, 12,000 mile engine tomorrow-there is no alternative  :'(

Done 500 miles this week and cleared out the treated fuel completely.  Starts fine, goes like a rocket but smokes under throttle and STINKS-looks like at least one piston ring has bought it.  Consensus seems to be that the oil that was in there was doctored with "no smoke" treatment, when that was changed and the fuel additive added, it was violently removed and so the engine resumed its former issues.

Nice to be "had" isn't it  ::)

Still, it'll be done soon and it should last a while....

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 July 2010, 20:02:02 »

Update with what the fault was....

Engine came out, exhaust ports for cylinders 1 and 3 we very oily, 2 was clean, so looks like rings were shot on both 1 and 3.  Engine side of cat oily, other side cleaner, exhaust full of crap.

Guys did engine out and new one in in under 5 hours, with new filters, coolant, oil, all adjustments.  Perfect order first time; sounds like new.

Gutted about having to do it, but glad it is over-hope this is the end of it all; still the cost will be tempered by the resale of the perfect original gearbox, the sale of the engine for repairs, plus the fact I do not have to do the cambelt or service planned for the old engine.

Oh well  ::) 

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 July 2010, 20:13:06 »

Alls well that ends well I suppose? You do seem to have had your pockets raided endlessly over the past year or so though mate  :(
Hope this is the last of it & you can settle down to some happy motoring  :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 July 2010, 20:24:33 »

Alls well that ends well I suppose? You do seem to have had your pockets raided endlessly over the past year or so though mate  :(
Hope this is the last of it & you can settle down to some happy motoring  :y

Cheers, Phil
Our other car (Myvi) has been faultless, cost free and will make us a profit if we ever sell it, the other Myvi we sold made us a profit of £200 over 8,000 miles.  We bought this little car as a cheapie and got bitten, but it should end ok. 

Still wincing over the loss on the Omega and the huge effort, but it got us to Poland for Christmas-thanks to a lot of help from OOF  :y :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 August 2010, 19:16:18 »

Well, on to car 94....

Sold this for £90 more than I originally paid for it, but the £440 engine change cost still owes £350, but;

1/ I still have the engine (for spares)/ perfect clutch/box/driveshafts/coils/sensors that came out of the car to sell

2/ The guy who bought it gave me his old car with 2 months MOT and 9 months tax which will run me around for two months and then be worth £500 if it passes an MOT or scrap value plus the £60 tax refund.

Phew....a sorry chapter....finished ... 8-)

Thanks to all who posted  :y

When will I learn  ;D

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 August 2010, 14:33:12 »

As my old Grandfather often told me..."if you gotta have hosses, you hafta have losses"

It's sooooo true.
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 August 2010, 21:47:54 »

As my old Grandfather often told me..."if you gotta have hosses, you hafta have losses"

It's sooooo true.

;D :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17 August 2010, 23:02:27 »

Definitely worth a compression check, to eliminate valves and rings. Unlikely nowadays I know, but with the smoke etc...... :-/ :-/ :-/

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 August 2010, 10:32:15 »

Well, I seem to have dropped on with the free car-a Rover 111 Knightsbridge.

One owner and only 41,911 miles
£850 spent on 2008 MOT
Last MOT had new exhaust and 2 new tyres

It had really scruffy bumpers and a vandalised front wing, but by sheer luck I won the matching colour parts on ebay for £1 starting bid each-spent the £3 (!!) and collected them, spent an hour fitting them and now it looks really smart.  Fitted an RDS Blaupunkt radio cassette from the boot sale (£1!) and an old aerial that was off one of my previous cars-and now we have sounds too!

MOT due end Oct, but it had only done 200 miles since the last one and with a bit of faffing and tidying, it might be ok.  I have done 1000 faultless miles in 10 days in it and have been surprised how civil it is-very comfortable and quiet....all at 40p/mile expenses  ;D ;D ;D

I thought it may die any minute when I first dug it out of the pile of leaves, swept it out, scrubbed the sap off it, put some air in the tyres and fired it up.  If it did and I scrapped it now, I would still get £50++ scrap/ebay and £80 tax refund-and it has already paid me £400 (-£100 fuel) in expenses  :y :y :y

Like it  ;D
« Last Edit: 24 August 2010, 10:32:59 by geoffharvey »

M4DMATT

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 August 2010, 14:05:12 »

A 111!  ;D they are brilliant, if you can gaffer tape up the rusty bits and put up with squeaky suspension, they go on forever, mine was 'given' to a mate with 197k on the clock and a free roll of gaffer tape.  :y
V6 at about 4000rpm..........Probably the best noise in the world!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26 August 2010, 15:00:00 »

hahaha-I taped the rusty arches up this week  ;D ;D

Did 1000 enjoyable 50+ mpg miles, spent £1 on an RDS radio cassette at the boot sale, £1 each on colour keyed bumpers and a matching front wing, then sold it for £250  :y

So:
Car          free
Bits            £4
Fuel cost  £100
Total cost £104

40p/mile    £400
Sale price  £250
Total rec'd £650

Total profit £545-this makes up for the loss on the last car (which I claimed £000s in mileage for anyway)

I liked this 3 door 111 so much that I have now bought a 5 door 1998 Rover 114; very nice tidy car with 1 elderly lady owner, 37k miles and always garaged, new MOT, new rear arches, a Mother-of-God main dealer only history file with 12 main dealer services (eg 200 miles ago had major service, new headlights, key fobs, belts-cost £680).

It is mint and the wood trim and pearlescent purple/blue look smart, it drives really well and there is not much for me to do; a couple of minute OAP bumper scuffs to touch in with the stick provided and one sunroof handle screw needs replacing/sealing.   All for £600 plus the old (free) one  :y

£850 is a lot for an old 100, but this one is doing 50mpg+, does not overheat and seems perfect so far.
It will soon be paid for @40p/mile  ;)

A happy ending for a frustrating episode  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.