Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Interrupt Alarm Triggers on Start  (Read 825 times)

Mack

• North Wiltshire
    • Audi A6 Le Mans
    • View Profile
Battery Interrupt Alarm Triggers on Start
« on: 15 January 2007, 10:04:38 »

Hi All,

I've just got a late 3.2 Omega (after having a 2.5 for 4 years), only issue I have with it is that the siren alarm that triggers when the current from the battery is interrupted often triggers when I start the car (about 50-75% of the time). I can get round this by locking and unlocking the car before starting which disables the alarm for 15 seconds and this seems to work about 90% of the time (all except crowded garage forecourts or other embarrassing places). Is this a common problem, any ideas? It's under Network Q so might be off to the dealer soon, but it is usually better to given them a clue as to what the issue is...... this can avoid repeated visits......

Any suggestions welcome...

Cheers,

John Mack.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Interrupt Alarm Triggers on Start
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2007, 10:06:43 »

First thing I would get tested is the car battery - if this is dying too much under cranking, it may seem to alarm as if the batt has been disconnected. Also check battery connections and earths...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2007, 10:16:24 »

First thing I would get tested is the car battery - if this is dying too much under cranking, it may seem to alarm as if the batt has been disconnected. Also check battery connections and earths...

Also - if you are disconnecting the battery for whatever reason, you need to do this within 15 seconds from turning-off the ignition so that the sounder won't go off (it has a built-in NiCd battery backup).

Intermittent alarm going off can be due to various things – car battery voltage dropping for one – but another is the NiCd batteries in the sounder dying (there’s two of them).

If you are also experiencing an occasional 4 low beeps when exiting or entering the car, then it is almost certainly the NiCd batteries. The batteries can be replaced if you are good with a soldering iron, but you need to get hold of them first because Vx only sells the whole sounder as a unit.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Mack

• North Wiltshire
    • Audi A6 Le Mans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2007, 11:35:35 »

Cheers guys, very swift response and useful info.

I'll start with the battery, I presumed it was potentially a case of the starter motor and other electrics drawing too much current and triggering the alarm... I found the 15 second trick in the book so was pleased to have a work around (most of the time).....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.