Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idle Control Valve 2.5 estate 1998  (Read 1054 times)

goldenfire

• View Profile
Idle Control Valve 2.5 estate 1998
« on: 20 January 2007, 12:27:33 »

I have had problem idling only when cold(have to use throttle for 1/2 minutes or car stalls)Tech 2 showed nothing except low rpm reported but I already new that. I did post on this but no joy.Yesterday car would not start at all - did not ever sound like starting -  battery seems fine - engine seemed to be turning over very fast.I did "paper clip test" code 31 crankshaft sensor(although I understand that I would get code 31 anyway because engine not running).I have purchased sensor of ebay anyway.After reading more posts where ICV valve was mentioned(although I thought the problem with icv were on 2.0 litre models only) I have removed said valve.Should there be  evidence of something moving when valve is shaken? If not what to do? I have sprayed Wd40 into available orifices(on valve - not me)and cannot hear or feel any movement when valve is shaken violently.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Control Valve 2.5 estate 1998
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2007, 16:48:43 »

I would spray some carb cleaner in the icv, and give it a good clean, then lightly oil to see if this helps.

Does it start with a little throttle?
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2007, 17:47:14 »

If you poke your finger in you should be able to move the circular slider round. It's a half cylinder in a cylinder and spring loaded.

goldenfire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2007, 18:14:19 »

I would spray some carb cleaner in the icv, and give it a good clean, then lightly oil to see if this helps.

Does it start with a little throttle?

I have cleaned and oiled valve. I can feel some movement (as described by jason H)but do not get to flat side of half cylinder (if I have understood post properly) and it does not feel springloaded.I will take of and try again.I have had this idling problem for some time. In previously started with a little throttle and idled with light throttle pressure needed for a few minutes. Once warmed up no problem. Now as dcescribed nothing. I had the battery on charge yesterday and tried again today after refitting battery and valve. Still Nothing - The engine is turning over very  fast but no sign at all of firing.The car had been left facing extremely srong wind and rain for a couple of days and I wondered if soaked electrics could be problem but if so I would expect the engine to show siome sign of starting  even with some backfires etc.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2007, 19:53:29 »

Well it has to be said, the symptoms sure do point very firmly at the crank sensor...
The Administrator.

goldenfire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2007, 19:37:34 »

I have had problem idling only when cold(have to use throttle for 1/2 minutes or car stalls)Tech 2 showed nothing except low rpm reported but I already new that. I did post on this but no joy.Yesterday car would not start at all - did not ever sound like starting -  battery seems fine - engine seemed to be turning over very fast.I did "paper clip test" code 31 crankshaft sensor(although I understand that I would get code 31 anyway because engine not running).I have purchased sensor of ebay anyway.After reading more posts where ICV valve was mentioned(although I thought the problem with icv were on 2.0 litre models only) I have removed said valve.Should there be  evidence of something moving when valve is shaken? If not what to do? I have sprayed Wd40 into available orifices(on valve - not me)and cannot hear or feel any movement when valve is shaken violently.

Update on above. I took the wipers and the scuttle off today to prepare for changing crankshaft sensor when it arrives.I noticed that just above where the sensor sits the covering on the underside of the scuttle was damaged and a 2" square of foam was exposed and was dripping water.When I unplugged the sensor it had a fair amount of water in it. I sprayed with wd and dried the sensor.Tried to start again and managed a slight backfire. As the dis pack is in the same area I dried round the back with hot air and then wd40 - tried to start again for an extended period and engine started. Slight misfire at first but after a short drive ok.I do love my omega but the designers were having a laugh.Lets put the Dis pack at the back of the engine where its virtually impossible to reach - Except for water once the drainage scuttle starts showing its age.It looks like water gets soaked into the foam interior of the scuttle where the wiper spindles go and then over time builds up and weakens the plastic/rubber underside and  makes its own exit point In my case RIGHT OVER THE CRANKSHAFT SENDER AND DIS PACK.Anyway car starts and runs but I still have the idle problem when cold.I have taped over the damaged underside and melted it with my hot air gun and it has formed what looks like a fairly strong repair.I will also try to seal the area around wiper spindles without interfering with wiper action.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2007, 20:14:14 »

Regarding the ICV... it only turns a bit.. but should move fairly freely when moved by fingertip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.