Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: New shape astra  (Read 11035 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: New shape astra
« Reply #75 on: 12 November 2015, 18:54:19 »

I've been at the garage for almost a year now. Had about 5 or 6 cars in with shagged turbos over that time. Add another 5 or 6 that had noisy turbos.

Is that a lot? Not really compared to the amount of cars we get in imo.

And were the shagged turbos down to poor maintenance? Dunno.

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 12 November 2015, 21:25:37 »

I've been at the garage for almost a year now. Had about 5 or 6 cars in with shagged turbos over that time. Add another 5 or 6 that had noisy turbos.

Not keeping on top of oil changes is the primary cause, or indeed, thrashing the balls out of it when cold (oil not doing what it should be doing when at working temp).

Over boosting is the second - Splits or poor joints between the blower and the manifold will make the turbo work harder.

(If Intercooled) Poor intercooler will not allow proper cooling, EGT will be sky-high causing issues with many components.

Turbocharged engines DO need more regular maintenance...... And that's why I'd never buy one of these piss poor ecoBoost things.  They drive badly and are generally shit.  Clearly, I'm not alone.  I'd too rather have a 1.8 N/A Astra than a 1.4T.

My personal opinion, of course.

Last small engined FI car I drove was in Fuerteventura.  A 1.2 Golf TSI.  Not bad at all, until you get up into the hills.  1st gear is a must on every sharp corner, whereas, a larger engined NA car would have pulled in 2nd without a problem.  Useless.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
« Reply #77 on: 12 November 2015, 22:26:31 »

I would bet 90% of drivers don't know how to use/care and the do's/don't of a turbo.  Not because of ignorant abuse but they just don't know that when you have a turbo you do things differently.
Cars are now running "long life" oils which isn't doing engines any long term favours.  And again general "joe public" don't know any better.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 13 November 2015, 00:23:27 »

Cant recall the last turbo I saw fail, possibly a Land Rover one many moons ago, uber reliable items.

Really? So you've never worked on a Focus/Mini/Peugeot/1.7 Vauxhall then?Or a Smart? Mercedes? Saab? I could go on, but I bet you get the idea. Turbos wear out quicker than most of the rest of the engine, and installation/maintenance/abuse issues exacerbate the problem.

Nor have I met anyone who has driven a 1.0l Focus who has anything good to say about them. God knows how bad the Mondeo inflicted with that engine is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.