Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TC Confused  (Read 2764 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
TC Confused
« on: 03 December 2010, 00:09:52 »

Somehow managed to confuse the traction control today. :-[

Set off from work - car park like a skating rink so from the moment the car started moving - in fact, as soon as i put it in D, and with no throttle, there was wheelspin and some sideways action at the rear. ::)

Stopped by the stores door to pick up some items I'm "removing to a place of greater safety" ::). Got back in and noticed TC light on. Drove off and gearbox permanently in snow mode (pulling away in 3rd). Couldn't disengage snow mode nor switch TC on/off.

Shut down and started it up again and everything normal.

I suspect the ABS/TC ECU likes to see all 4 wheels moving at a plausible speed as the car pulls away for the first time or it throws its' toys out of the pram. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: TC Confused
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2010, 08:41:07 »

I had similar pulling away from the Burger King (my colleagues made me ::)) - I nice 180 degree turn to get out of carpark...   ...So I thought I'd "have meself some fun"

In my case, it was the gearbox, not TC (as that was switched off), and I filled my gusset when it banged into limp, as when it banged, I thought I'd hit the kerb...
Grumpy old man

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2010, 09:29:08 »

Somehow managed to confuse the traction control today. :-[

Set off from work - car park like a skating rink so from the moment the car started moving - in fact, as soon as i put it in D, and with no throttle, there was wheelspin and some sideways action at the rear. ::)

Stopped by the stores door to pick up some items I'm "removing to a place of greater safety" ::). Got back in and noticed TC light on. Drove off and gearbox permanently in snow mode (pulling away in 3rd). Couldn't disengage snow mode nor switch TC on/off.

Shut down and started it up again and everything normal.

I suspect the ABS/TC ECU likes to see all 4 wheels moving at a plausible speed as the car pulls away for the first time or it throws its' toys out of the pram. ;D

Kevin

Recall me and some of the other members afew years back having the same lights on the dash after a rolling road run on the cars. A few miles down the road and both when off and all was fine :y :y.

Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2010, 09:51:34 »

I would have checked it for codes had it not been -6 by the time I got home. ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2010, 09:52:59 »

I would have checked it for codes had it not been -6 by the time I got home. ::)

Kevin

Wimp :P :D
I like red cars

rossi123

• St Helens Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2010, 10:21:00 »

I have the same problem but mines intermittent was wondering if there's a sensor for it.
Paul

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2010, 10:44:26 »

Kevin
I actually had the Tech2 on the front seat (for other reasons), but still couldn't be bothered...  ...my face had an urgent appointment with a Whopper Meal ::)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2010, 10:46:18 »

I have the same problem but mines intermittent was wondering if there's a sensor for it.
Paul
For TC?  Ice/Snow aside, it doesn't get confuddled.  On a post 98 car, I would beging to dread the worse :(
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2010, 11:08:42 »

rolling riad caused similar as Steve says, but yours hnas the additional stuck in snow mode thing. Could s.m. have been on prior to fuddlment and it just stuck due to a perceived fault?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2010, 11:30:31 »

rolling riad caused similar as Steve says, but yours hnas the additional stuck in snow mode thing. Could s.m. have been on prior to fuddlment and it just stuck due to a perceived fault?

Nope. I never use snow mode, even in snow. ;)

TC light on, not responding to TC switch.
Gearbox starting in 3rd and snow mode switch had no effect on that.
It had certainly got into some sort of "safe" mode.

As said, I shut down at the next junction, then pulled away carefully and it was happy. :-?

Kevin

rossi123

• St Helens Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2010, 12:09:35 »

Is there sensors on the back for the Tc or are they intergrated with abs sensor I just don't see why it's perfect all day then I turn car off and back on and the traction control comes on grrr

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2010, 12:25:19 »

Nope. I never use snow mode, even in snow. ;)

TC light on, not responding to TC switch.
Gearbox starting in 3rd and snow mode switch had no effect on that.
It had certainly got into some sort of "safe" mode.

As said, I shut down at the next junction, then pulled away carefully and it was happy. :-?

Kevin
Trying to work out my gearbox limp, and can't - it has engine speed, it has output shaft speed sensor, and it knows what gear it thought it was in.

Like yours, I am beginning to suspect external factors causing it (in my case, ABS/TC confuddled, though neither of those threw a rod AFAIK - orange light was on anyway as I had disabled the fun spoiler TC)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2010, 12:26:17 »

Is there sensors on the back for the Tc or are they intergrated with abs sensor I just don't see why it's perfect all day then I turn car off and back on and the traction control comes on grrr
Nope, TC entirely uses ABS system and it's sensors, as well as the ABS - Engine communiocations channel
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2010, 12:46:05 »

Trying to work out my gearbox limp, and can't - it has engine speed, it has output shaft speed sensor, and it knows what gear it thought it was in.

Like yours, I am beginning to suspect external factors causing it (in my case, ABS/TC confuddled, though neither of those threw a rod AFAIK - orange light was on anyway as I had disabled the fun spoiler TC)

I suspect the gearbox detected TC was not playing and went into "litigation avoidance" mode. I guess if this happened in your case, as TC light was already on, you'd not have noticed?

Although it begs the question, if you'd already turned off TC, why didn't it leave you to it.

Kevin

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2010, 12:59:52 »

Just remember that the gearbox-ABS(TC)-Engine ECU are a little more sophisticated on the 2.6/3.2 with CAN bus between them.

So having seen the TC throw a fault message out, the autobox might take offence!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.