Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drink Driving...  (Read 1832 times)

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
Drink Driving...
« on: 17 November 2006, 01:17:30 »

Found this interesting article in the local paper...

TWELVE Lothian police officers have been convicted of drink driving but allowed to keep their jobs, it emerged today.

Lothian and Borders had the highest number of drink-drive offenders of any force in Scotland, with 29 in the country as a whole. The statistics, revealed through the Freedom Of Information Act, today led to criticism by MSPs and motoring groups.

A police spokeswoman confirmed 12 of the force's 2800 officers had convictions for drink-driving and insisted they were subjected to disciplinary action.

Wonder if they lost their licences?
some day.....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Drink Driving...
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2006, 01:40:42 »

Found this interesting article in the local paper...

TWELVE Lothian police officers have been convicted of drink driving but allowed to keep their jobs, it emerged today.

Lothian and Borders had the highest number of drink-drive offenders of any force in Scotland, with 29 in the country as a whole. The statistics, revealed through the Freedom Of Information Act, today led to criticism by MSPs and motoring groups.

A police spokeswoman confirmed 12 of the force's 2800 officers had convictions for drink-driving and insisted they were subjected to disciplinary action.

Wonder if they lost their licences?
Why am I not surprised?  >:(
« Last Edit: 17 November 2006, 01:41:00 by Andy_B »

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2006, 06:08:42 »

Very believable, and not surprising :-/

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2006, 07:37:48 »

They must have all had desk jobs  ::)
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2006, 09:26:37 »

They must have all had desk jobs  ::)

Wonder if they have been given bus passes aswell :) :D

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2006, 11:45:26 »

Are you saying that Police aren't allowed to make mistakes. I bet most of these are morning after the night before incidents where the alcohol hasn't broken down quick enough to be under the limit.

Don't get me wrong, I am against Drink Driving and I will never do so myself (I say that with 100% confidence because I don't drink alcohol) but not many other people would lose their jobs through Drink Driving (unless they were a taxi driver, delivery driver et who need a licence and they can beg in court to keep it) so why should the police!

If they have lost their licence then there are plenty of non driving jobs in the police and if they have been allowed to keep it, then that is no different to lots of others who throw themselves on the mercy of the court and get to keep theirs.

29 out of all the Police in the UK is hardly a huge number is it?

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2006, 11:56:41 »

Are you saying that Police aren't allowed to make mistakes. I bet most of these are morning after the night before incidents where the alcohol hasn't broken down quick enough to be under the limit.

Don't get me wrong, I am against Drink Driving and I will never do so myself (I say that with 100% confidence because I don't drink alcohol) but not many other people would lose their jobs through Drink Driving (unless they were a taxi driver, delivery driver et who need a licence and they can beg in court to keep it) so why should the police!

If they have lost their licence then there are plenty of non driving jobs in the police and if they have been allowed to keep it, then that is no different to lots of others who throw themselves on the mercy of the court and get to keep theirs.

You have a valid arguement

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2006, 12:59:26 »

I wonder how many coppers have speeding tickets as well! Especially as it's almost impossible to avoid them these days with all the cameras.

I don't agree with drink driving at all myself, but what I can't understand is that I'm sure most coppers have seen the aftermath of drink driving first hand. Surely that would be enough to stop them doing it on it's own.

What we should be happy at, is that at least they're not above the law and are getting convicted.

Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2006, 13:15:19 »

You have a valid arguement
Indeed it is a valid point.
Of course everyone makes mistakes, but as police officers they should know better. You’re making the assumption that most of them were probably the next morning, but again as police officers they know the risk more than anyone.
29 is not a great lot, but that’s only the amount that have been convicted.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2006, 13:17:18 »

29 is only the number of police in Scotland convicted, not the UK. I guess the UK as a whole would show a similar percentage, although, as there are 6 constabularies in Scotland, 12 from one region is quite high.
I guess it demonstrates that the police are no different from anyone else both in respect of being tempted to drink and drive but also in that they are not above the law.

...or maybe they are using alcohol as a substitute for the adenalin rush they used to get when they could drive their plod meega's  :y
some day.....

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2006, 13:20:56 »

Now before i start, i'm not condoning any of this.
Living out in the sticks as I do, and working in the only pub in the village, the amount of drink driving that i see happening every night is frightening.  t's not just the kids and the old boys who have always done it - it is all ages. Countless times post midnight somebody who has been drinking in the pub for 3 or 4 hours will shout out "right - who's comming down the pub in the next village with me?"
Others will tour around all evening having a pint or two in each pub
The manager (22) lost his licence a few months back, and his dad the landlord is due in court next week having been caught the morning after. Not a good advertisment for sensible drinking is it.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2006, 13:24:14 »

Now before i start, i'm not condoning any of this.
Living out in the sticks as I do, and working in the only pub in the village, the amount of drink driving that i see happening every night is frightening.  t's not just the kids and the old boys who have always done it - it is all ages. Countless times post midnight somebody who has been drinking in the pub for 3 or 4 hours will shout out "right - who's comming down the pub in the next village with me?"
Others will tour around all evening having a pint or two in each pub
The manager (22) lost his licence a few months back, and his dad the landlord is due in court next week having been caught the morning after. Not a good advertisment for sensible drinking is it.

It is always worse out in the sticks!

What has happened to your Avatar? I can't see it anymore

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.