Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I love my Omega  (Read 3442 times)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
Why I love my Omega
« on: 01 December 2006, 10:20:44 »

Went to France by car on Tuesday for a managers meeting in Boulogne but unfortunately my Omega isn't a company car so I had to go in a company Vauxhall Zafira. :( Now don't get me wrong, this was a top of the range model with leather and all the toys but there was absolutely nothing I like about this car either as a driver or passenger. Basically it was damn uncomfortable and the driving position was bloody awful. The seats and suspension are far to hard and it's like every little bump in the road compresses your spine into mush.

Having got back comletely knackered and tired, I climbed into my Omega to make the final leg of the journey home and................aaaaahhhhhhh, absolute bliss and comfort.  :) After a few minutes I could have easily driven back to France again! No wonder we love our Omega's so much. :y :)
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Why I love my Omega
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2006, 10:28:37 »

i have noticed that, so much so that the car i intend to drive 6,000 miles around europe next summer will be an Omega!  :)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2006, 10:35:34 »

i have noticed that, so much so that the car i intend to drive 6,000 miles around europe next summer will be an Omega!  :)

Wouldn't consider doing such a thing in anything else......err well, maybe a Bugatti Veyron or a Lambo or a .......... :-X ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2006, 10:40:25 »

;D ;D

I am going with a m8 after uni, end of era type thing no more eductation!  :'(

Did consider maybe get something differnt like a Jag or something, but relablity is going to be the key plus i know omegas very well now... serisouly looking forward to it.

Basically drive all over Europe, though france up the top round in poland, then as far down as Italy, the across though spain to portugal, should be awsum in an Omega. I want a 3.0 too so i can let rip on the german autobahns  :D

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2006, 10:44:15 »

3.0 MV6 on autotrader for £375!
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2006, 10:59:52 »

Yeah, that's why I got an Omega - road trips!  Thing is, got it just b4 winter so with needing to do cambelt etc. at the time we haven't gone very far with it yet.  Wanted to go to Cornwall.  Hope to go to France and maybe the 'ring next year.  If I was commuting to work then I would have had to get something more efficient  ;)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2006, 11:00:54 »

;D ;D

I am going with a m8 after uni, end of era type thing no more eductation!  :'(

Did consider maybe get something differnt like a Jag or something, but relablity is going to be the key plus i know omegas very well now... serisouly looking forward to it.

Basically drive all over Europe, though france up the top round in poland, then as far down as Italy, the across though spain to portugal, should be awsum in an Omega. I want a 3.0 too so i can let rip on the german autobahns  :D

Sounds like an awsome trip Tunnie, wish I could do something like that but bloody work always gets in the way :( Might think about doing a European touring holiday one year and yes, preferably in an MV6. :y :)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2006, 11:01:27 »

3.0 MV6 on autotrader for £375!

This one? - Its got CD alloys!  :-?

Yeah, that one.  Thought that was a bit weird.  :-?
« Last Edit: 01 December 2006, 11:01:49 by theolodian »

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2006, 11:02:59 »

Basically it was damn uncomfortable and the driving position was bloody awful.

Thats very strange as i found the Zafira driving position very comfortable.

Being fairly tall (6ft 5) i find alot of cars awful, VW Bora, Ford Mundano to name a couple, but because the seating position is very 'chair' like (sitting upright) i thought it was realy good.

One of the most comforable things ive ever driven was a Transit (ones made after 2001), i could go to Cardiff (200 miles) without a single ache or problem, in the Bora i had to stop halfway to recover from the pain!!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2006, 11:14:44 »

Being fairly tall (6ft 5) i find alot of cars awful, VW Bora, Ford Mundano to name a couple, but because the seating position is very 'chair' like (sitting upright) i thought it was realy good.

One of the most comforable things ive ever driven was a Transit (ones made after 2001), i could go to Cardiff (200 miles) without a single ache or problem, in the Bora i had to stop halfway to recover from the pain!!

Hmmmm......thats strange because I'm quite tall too (6' 1"). May have been due to the seat adjustment as I didn't play around with it too much and bugger it up for the car's usual driver. However, I did find that the pedals were too far forward so you had to keep your legs bent all the time. As with all cars we all find them different, but I'm not necessarily saying the Zafira is a bad car, but it's just not for me. Given the cost of it new, I certainly wouldn't buy one out of choice.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2006, 11:24:39 »

I sometimes have to drive the company cars which are generally Golfs.  Always found them very hard and uncomfortable.  I own my own Transit van and this is, as said above, very comfortable and I can go for miles in it with no worries.  Mine is a 98 model though.

It is always nice to travel in the Omega, came to work in it today and must admit, despite the traffic, I arrived feeling very relaxed and calm.  Then an hour at work went by.......................
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2006, 11:24:47 »

I find headroom to be the main problem.  I haven't been in a Zafira, but in the other cars mentioned - including the Omega - I rub the headliner.  I am 6'1".  Otherwise, I often find FWD RHD cars more comfortable on long trips b/c u get 2 dead pedals.

STMO123

« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2006, 11:45:34 »

I've had my omega since may and I still look for excuses to go places in it ;)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #14 on: 01 December 2006, 12:47:48 »

I find headroom to be the main problem.  I haven't been in a Zafira, but in the other cars mentioned - including the Omega - I rub the headliner.  I am 6'1".  Otherwise, I often find FWD RHD cars more comfortable on long trips b/c u get 2 dead pedals.

Press the down button on the seat Theo......im 6'3" and plenty of headroom  :y
And will go down further.....but leave it set higher than the passenger side.....gives the impression that im taller than i am  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 December 2006, 13:48:23 »

blimey we are all tall chaps here, i am 6'4 myself.

Bob - Yeah should be brilliant trip, i now have TomTom maps for all of Europe, and over 10,000 campsites on POI's thoughout europe too. Was going to take a caravan, but now probably just going go camping! Should be more fun plus 160mph legally in germany  ;)

Work work is the problem i have 2 other mates who, REALLY want to come too on the trip, and i want them to come too as it will reduce fuel bills, but  i cannot give a firm date on when exactly i am going due to unknown stuff with uni... plus we are prob going to take 2 months going around and waste the student loan money i have been saving up. I plan to get drunk in every country!  ;D

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 December 2006, 14:24:37 »

And will go down further.....but leave it set higher than the passenger side.....gives the impression that im taller than i am  ;)
I've tried, even had a couple of people here try including TB.  Seat won't go down more, is about 1cm higher than pass side.  I have the seat reclined more than usual, but I'm still wedged in the sunroof.  Considering having some of the foam scooped out of the seat base.  Had that done on another car and it worked well.

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 December 2006, 14:28:41 »

blimey we are all tall chaps here, i am 6'4 myself.

Bob - Yeah should be brilliant trip, i now have TomTom maps for all of Europe, and over 10,000 campsites on POI's thoughout europe too. Was going to take a caravan, but now probably just going go camping! Should be more fun plus 160mph legally in germany  ;)

Work work is the problem i have 2 other mates who, REALLY want to come too on the trip, and i want them to come too as it will reduce fuel bills, but  i cannot give a firm date on when exactly i am going due to unknown stuff with uni... plus we are prob going to take 2 months going around and waste the student loan money i have been saving up. I plan to get drunk in every country!  ;D

It would be very rude not to - beats the hell out of getting repeatedly drunk in the same country!! ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 December 2006, 14:53:00 »

hell yeah, and there is the language barrier to! Adds some extra excitment  ;D

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 December 2006, 16:56:31 »

The language barrier does not exist when you show your empty glass to the barman and say "more beer!!" :D
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 December 2006, 17:58:35 »

The language barrier does not exist when you show your empty glass to the barman and say "more beer!!" :D

;D ;D

Too true......bet there's not a barman in the world that doesn't understand "BEER"!! [smiley=happy.gif] ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 December 2006, 18:18:39 »

i now have TomTom maps for all of Europe
TomTom6 Europe version uses a single unified Europe map, unlike the awkward country maps of previous versions.

If you want to see it in action before going, you are welcome to look at mine... ;)
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 01 December 2006, 18:23:17 »

I've tried, even had a couple of people here try including TB.  Seat won't go down more, is about 1cm higher than pass side.  I have the seat reclined more than usual, but I'm still wedged in the sunroof.  Considering having some of the foam scooped out of the seat base.  Had that done on another car and it worked well.

Ah rite.....so is its electric prob or seat jammed?......if the latter maybe worth looking out for a replacement, but guess you probably are  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 December 2006, 18:33:19 »

TomTom6 Europe version uses a single unified Europe map, unlike the awkward country maps of previous versions.

If you want to see it in action before going, you are welcome to look at mine... ;)

Cheers might well do that, how big is the file btw? - Someone i know has the plus maps for europe but they are all seperate files, which are seperated into countrys.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 December 2006, 18:36:40 »

Cheers might well do that, how big is the file btw? - Someone i know has the plus maps for europe but they are all seperate files, which are seperated into countrys.
Plus maps are a PITA if you are crossing borders.  And work out really big.  The unified map is around 1Gb, obviously more space required for POIs.
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 December 2006, 18:46:22 »

Ah rite.....so is its electric prob or seat jammed?......if the latter maybe worth looking out for a replacement, but guess you probably are  ;)
No, seat works perfectly except for heaters and it doesn't go down as much as I would like.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 December 2006, 20:08:59 »

thats the problem with leccy seats, no worm drive to overide...

I take it you have & tryed that "Emergancy Winding Handle" ?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 01 December 2006, 21:12:50 »

No, seat works perfectly except for heaters and it doesn't go down as much as I would like.

Must be summat wrong with it if ....a) it wont go down as far as passenger seat...b) its to high so you bang you your head on the roof
As i said b4 im 6'3" and got no prob with headroom

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 December 2006, 21:17:23 »

Must be summat wrong with it if ....a) it wont go down as far as passenger seat...b) its to high so you bang you your head on the roof
There doesn't appear to be, we moved it in every direction & checked for obstructions.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 December 2006, 21:20:22 »

There doesn't appear to be, we moved it in every direction & checked for obstructions.

I know what the problem is Bo Bo :y....you were still sitting in the seat were'nt you ;D, thats what the obstruction is? :y

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 December 2006, 21:21:15 »

I know what the problem is Bo Bo :y....you were still sitting in the seat were'nt you ;D, thats what the obstruction is? :y
Not far off!!
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 December 2006, 21:25:01 »

Not far off!!

Why don't you get a customised seat made :y...job done :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.