Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's The Scam?  (Read 7316 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: What's The Scam?
« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2023, 10:59:58 »

They can insist on a a cash only sale, then knock you over the head and rob you when you turn up to pay and collect.
Or even get you to do a bank transfer at that point, then smack you on the nose and drive off with the car.
There was quite a lot of it happening around Barking a few years ago.
If it looks far to good to be true, its 99% certain that it is.
Could always arrange to meet outside a Police station if you can find one thats open and manned by officers who arent nodding off in front of a computer screen.  :)
We have a local police station about 100 yards away, they sometimes call in for a crap.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2023, 11:02:48 »

Here's another example with a different seller. 2014 Discovery 4 with 61,800 miles £7,600. That's a £15k car all day long.  :-X  Even if it is brown!  :D

The sellers profile looks genuine enough, but again he has 100 listings of mostly nice looking but extremely cheap cars for sale....  :-\
Enquire about one and see what they say. The 'she' advertising the cars might be a 6' 6" trans person with a cock the size of your arm  ;D
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 July 2023, 11:13:57 »

They can insist on a a cash only sale, then knock you over the head and rob you when you turn up to pay and collect.
………..

And there is always the deposit scam. You transfer a deposit to secure a vehicle that doesn’t exist and if they do that enough times it’s money for nothing. There should be special consent to take people who do this sort of thing out to the middle of a field and set fire to them.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 July 2023, 11:34:30 »

Usually, when someone enquiries about one of the advertised cars, they come up with an excuse why the car can't be viewed at that time - ie away on holiday, or currently in hospital after an accident, or visiting Great Aunt Bertha who's on her death bed etc etc. The car or any of the ones advertised for that matter don't exist or the photos are lifted from another site. As they are 'away', as YZ250 says, they suggest paying a 'fully refundable' deposit to secure the vehicle by bank transfer until they are back and you can look at the vehicle; at which point your deposit is gone and that's the last you hear of them. It's an old scam, but people must still fall for it for them to continue doing it... ::)
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 July 2023, 11:43:51 »

This Range Rover Ad is a good example.

It's a crap advert, but a 2009 Range Rover for £4600 in seemingly good condition?  ???

The MOT history is sketchy to say the least, and the mileage is recorded at 73,875 in April, but that's very cheap!

Check out the seller details and other items. She has 98 listings mostly cars with a few tractors thrown in!  :-\

What's going on?  ???

My Range Rover is only 7 years older than that one, and I can’t get a grand for it ….

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 July 2023, 11:44:18 »

But yes. Looks sus to me given her many many car adverts!

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 July 2023, 13:12:39 »

It's a crap advert, but a 2009 Range Rover for £4600 in seemingly good condition?  ???

The MOT history is sketchy to say the least, and the mileage is recorded at 73,875 in April, but that's very cheap!

Check out the seller details and other items. She has 98 listings mostly cars with a few tractors thrown in!  :-\

What's going on?  ???

My Range Rover is only 7 years older than that one, and I can’t get a grand for it ….

Mines a 2007 RRS cost me £7,000 almost 4 years ago with a very comprehensive service history & low ownership was toying with the idea of getting an SVR offered me £5350 trade in ( SVR £57995) was keen until the insurance quote.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 July 2023, 13:18:51 »

What's going on?  ???

Mines a 2007 RRS cost me £7,000 almost 4 years ago with a very comprehensive service history & low ownership was toying with the idea of getting an SVR offered me £5350 trade in ( SVR £57995) was keen until the insurance quote.

You only live once. ;)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 July 2023, 11:51:38 »

Here's another example with a different seller. 2014 Discovery 4 with 61,800 miles £7,600. That's a £15k car all day long.  :-X  Even if it is brown!  :D

The sellers profile looks genuine enough, but again he has 100 listings of mostly nice looking but extremely cheap cars for sale....  :-\

The real owner is asking £22K: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306018038946.  You can often locate the original photos used by the fake facebook dealer with a right mouse click, 'search image with google' then 'find image source'.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 July 2023, 13:17:22 »

The real owner is asking £22K: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306018038946.  You can often locate the original photos used by the fake facebook dealer with a right mouse click, 'search image with google' then 'find image source'.

Reverse image search... love it :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 July 2023, 13:29:13 »

Yes clever!  :y

Thing is, the Facebook profiles seems genuine enough, so either these people are very stupid or the scam is more sophisticated than it appears.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 July 2023, 02:06:50 »

I had the reverse problem - car I wanted was 40% overpriced: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1774931636178655 .  Seller wouldn't negotiate at all.  Consequently car has been 'for sale' for a year.  Seller has over 20 cars 'for sale'. What's that about?

At least their cars are all photographed in the same location, albeit a public place.

I think because Facebook ads are free a lot of weird people waste their time and ours on it.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2023, 02:08:32 by omega2018 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 July 2023, 08:02:07 »

Thing is, the Facebook profiles seems genuine enough, so either these people are very stupid or the scam is more sophisticated than it appears.  :-\
You'd be surprised how many people fall for very obvious scams, be that "Microsoft calling to fix you computer", "BT calling to fix your broadband", or people buying shit off people who don't own it.

There are tricks, which I can't say I understand, which are essentially a form of hypnosis, that the better scammers can use when they have you in a 1 on 1 conversation (such as a phone call or face to face).  So if they can initially get you on the hook....

(and those who genuinely believe they are immune and can't be fooled are said to be the easiest to reel in, as long as they can be hooked)
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 July 2023, 10:48:46 »

You'd be surprised how many people fall for very obvious scams, be that "Microsoft calling to fix you computer", "BT calling to fix your broadband", or people buying shit off people who don't own it.

There are tricks, which I can't say I understand, which are essentially a form of hypnosis, that the better scammers can use when they have you in a 1 on 1 conversation (such as a phone call or face to face).  So if they can initially get you on the hook....

(and those who genuinely believe they are immune and can't be fooled are said to be the easiest to reel in, as long as they can be hooked)

Yes I'm a sucker for a cheap car and if I hadn't looked at the sellers profiles and seen all the listings......  ::)  ;D

Thing is Range Rovers and Discos have dropped in price recently due to the cost of fuel and no one wants them. There are loads of Range Rovers that have been advertised for months and the sellers have gradually chipped away at the price, so on the face of it, it wasn't that unbelievable that someone might have to unload one quickly with a low price.  :-\

It was the amount of cheap cars suddenly popping up that attracted my attention.  ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 July 2023, 11:12:15 »

Yeah, if they are sensisble, they will make it look at the lowest end of realistic prices.  And probably choose vehicles that have been for sale for a fair while :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.