Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!!! missing at low revs part 2 Fault codes  (Read 1439 times)

omegalyn

Help!!! missing at low revs part 2 Fault codes
« on: 21 March 2007, 22:46:51 »

Hi there, Starting a new thread from (Help!!! missing at low revs), I put new HT leads on tonight and went to town a 9 mile journey, car ran well. But when coming home a few hours later, not so good. Overtook a car, but it did not want to rev too high, it was as if it had a restricter on it. As soon as I got outside my house and I slowed down to stop, it stalled, put it in park (automatic box) started ok, but hesitant at low revs. But revs fine once it gets over 2.5 to 3 thousend rpm. I am at a bit of a loss with this one. Could it be one of the sensors or fuel, I have resently cleaned the ICV and throttle body and all the pipes and the flame trap, changed the plugs and tonight changed the HT leads. Any help as always greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Omegalyn
« Last Edit: 22 March 2007, 11:19:09 by omegalyn »

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!! missing at low revs part 2
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2007, 22:49:37 »

Hi there Starting a new thread from (Help!!! missing at low revs), I put new

It sounds complicated to me  ;)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2007, 10:19:18 »

Have you done the paperclip test? Look in the FAQ section. I wouldn't be absolutely amazed for you to find a code 19.

omegalyn

« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2007, 10:54:24 »

Yes I did a paperclip test this morning it flashed 10,3,3,5, which is a 0335 code for a simtec 56.5 ecu, meaning crank sensor which I think is the same as a code 19 for a bosch. bang on rpont.  next point, where is the crank sensor on the Ecotec 2.0, is it down by the oil filter and where dose it connect to ? another question, what is the plug that gose in at the very top of engine in front of the spark plug leads just behind the cam belt cover, you un-plug it to take the rocker cover off.
Thanks
omegalyn

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!! missing at low revs part 2 Fault codes
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2007, 11:40:28 »

I am not totally sure, but I think that the crank sensor as at the flywheel end of the crank - it is not near the oil filter that I can say.

The connector on top of the engine is the cam sensor.  These are a known weakness and there is a modified sensor.  I have had around 4 fitted to my Cavalier over the years!

Hope this helps and good luck
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

omegalyn

« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2007, 11:56:32 »

Thanks x25xe Just found out about cam sensor, I am wondering if this could be causing my problem as the crank sensor has been changed in the past according to the service history, and the code has been stored since then. It might be the cam sensor becouse when I take the plastic cover that covers the spark plugs off, the car runs better.  Need to investigate more. What are the simptoms of a dodgy cam sensor?

Thanks
omegalyn

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2007, 12:46:26 »

On the Cavalier, the EML light would be on.  I can not tell you what the code was as I do not have a code reader :(.

However, the car would drive just like you have described - with a restricter or, like in the old days of points, as it the points were out of adjustment.

On occasions, the light would go off for a while and normal driveability would be resumed.  Some times, you could start the car, and the light would go off, only for it to come on half way through the journey.

From what you describe, it would appear to be the cam sensor.  The old pre-modified ones were certainly very fragile - I remember doing something as simple as wiping the top of the rocker cover and this caused the sensor to fail.

Since the modified item has been fitted, all has been, touch wood, well.

If you are going to replace it - and it is a job you can do yourself - make sure you get the modified sensor.  You will have to cut the old connector off the loom and solder the new connector that comes with the sensor to the original loom though.

omegalyn

« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2007, 13:07:02 »

Thanks again x25xe, I remember the days of points and condencers very well, LOL, are the simptoms of dodgy cam and crank sensors the same then? I will desconnect the cam sensor tonight and see what happens :-?. It's strange the only code is for a crank sensor.  have you tried the paperclip test on yours, or is it not possible on the V6.

Thanks again

Omegalyn.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2007, 17:55:33 »

I forgot that the 2.0 has different codes but the symptoms sounded just like mine when it failed. I had code 19 but never had the EML lit when the engine was running. Presumably when it was running the signal was alright and when it got bad the engine stopped.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2007, 18:28:24 »

The sensor on 2.0l is near a/c compressor, in fact if you have a/c it makes the job fiddly...
Grumpy old man

omegalyn

« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2007, 08:58:57 »

Problem solved I hope.  Last night I had a good look at the Cam sensor and noticed that the wire had been touching the cam pulley or belt, as this sensor is very close to it.  taped up the frayed wire and bingo, runs smooth as silk.  Anybody know how to delete the codes in em as I think the code stored is an old one, dose disconnecting the battery do this or will that couse more problems?   Thanks x25xe and everyone that took the time to help.

Thanks

omegalyn
« Last Edit: 23 March 2007, 09:00:34 by omegalyn »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2007, 09:04:37 »

Problem solved I hope.  Last night I had a good look at the Cam sensor and noticed that the wire had been touching the cam pulley or belt, as this sensor is very close to it.  taped up the frayed wire and bingo, runs smooth as silk.  Anybody know how to delete the codes in em as I think the code stored is an old one, dose disconnecting the battery do this or will that couse more problems?   Thanks x25xe and everyone that took the time to help.

Thanks

omegalyn
Disconnecting battery does not clear the codes.

The codes should automatically 'erase' from the flash code/paperclip test after a set number of clean starts.  Some codes remain in the ECU though, and can still be read with code reader.
Grumpy old man

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2007, 09:53:53 »

Glad you got it sorted - and avoided having to get a new sensor be it cam or crank!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.