Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wife says to me.....  (Read 1048 times)

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
Wife says to me.....
« on: 03 February 2013, 22:59:36 »

We've had a bit of a pants time with pets just lately. Friday one of the wife's Donkeys had to be put down. Next Friday a horse which lives with the donkeys is being put down. So the missus is getting in a flap. George the remaining donkey is going to go out of his mind on his own. So a family meeting is held and it's decided to get my little girl a Pony. The wife hatches a plan and my part in it? "we'll need a tow car for the horse box, must be good in the fields etc" "ok" says I. I'll look into it. So we need a economical 4 wheel drive vehicle which is cheap in every way. So I go out and buy an old 3.9 V8 Discovery!!! Well it's got LPG on it and was cheap. Got a bit of tin worm but it's already fitted with a towbar etc etc etc. Wife looks at me as if I'm mad. I say " guess this is a bad time to tell you I also brought nipper a Yamaha PW80 field bike?" She took that pretty well :-X. So the moral of the story is. If you know somebody who has petrol coursing through his veins don't give him free range with the family cash when it comes to transport. Now just got to sort a horse trailer.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
Re: Wife says to me.....
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2013, 23:03:18 »

and learn to weld and find an oil well. ;D ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2013, 23:31:33 »

To be fair, a Disco is probably the most cost effective large 4x4. They're not particularly reliable, but then no old 4x4 is. Unlike the others, Discos are at least cheap and easy to fix. Plus they drive nicely, tow really well and don't have the ghastly interior that the Japanese ones suffer from.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2013, 23:33:02 »

We've had a bit of a pants time with pets just lately. Friday one of the wife's Donkeys had to be put down. Next Friday a horse which lives with the donkeys is being put down. So the missus is getting in a flap. George the remaining donkey is going to go out of his mind on his own. So a family meeting is held and it's decided to get my little girl a Pony. The wife hatches a plan and my part in it? "we'll need a tow car for the horse box, must be good in the fields etc" "ok" says I. I'll look into it. So we need a economical 4 wheel drive vehicle which is cheap in every way. So I go out and buy an old 3.9 V8 Discovery!!! Well it's got LPG on it and was cheap. Got a bit of tin worm but it's already fitted with a towbar etc etc etc. Wife looks at me as if I'm mad. I say " guess this is a bad time to tell you I also brought nipper a Yamaha PW80 field bike?" She took that pretty well :-X. So the moral of the story is. If you know somebody who has petrol coursing through his veins don't give him free range with the family cash when it comes to transport. Now just got to sort a horse trailer.

I hope it was very cheap, anyone wanting a reasonably priced 4x4 could do worse that consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD WJ  1999 - 2004/5, later 3.0L models are less economical for no extra power. Mercedes diesel engine and gearbox, had mine 17 months now and I love it, yes it corners like a boat, but is not designed to be driven quickly round bends and is better on fuel than my previous Omega and it is a very capable 4x4, this model also has hi and low, many other Jeeps do not...... :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2013, 07:52:30 »

Excellent  :D If you going to tow something tow it with 8 pots  8)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2013, 16:11:46 »

The Discos are ok off road (the Jeeps I am afraid are NOT good).

The downside is the tin worm which is truely horrific plus the electrics are pretty weak.

Plus point is that even a scrapper diesel disco is worth 700-800 pounds thanks to them making good donors for series land Rovers.

The V8 is not a good choice though, even on LPG your going to see drinking like no other.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2013, 17:07:04 »

Cheers for the info. 3.9 is a little thirsty but i have two friends with discos and they are getting 20 MPG solo on the gas. Rot is a problem but it's nothing much different from most cars of this age (just look at the Omegas). I've got a resident welder who's excellent and I can do minor welds myself so not really bothered.  Other good thing is there's plenty for scrap so bits are dirt cheap.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2013, 17:09:02 by doz »
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2013, 22:31:57 »

The Discos are ok off road (the Jeeps I am afraid are NOT good).

The downside is the tin worm which is truely horrific plus the electrics are pretty weak.

Plus point is that even a scrapper diesel disco is worth 700-800 pounds thanks to them making good donors for series land Rovers.

The V8 is not a good choice though, even on LPG your going to see drinking like no other.

Make your mind up Mark, when I bought it you said you have driven one and felt it was a capable off roader, not so good on the road, they do roll a bit........ ::) ::) ::)

The only direct comparison is with a series 3 LWB Land Rover, had 3 of them and the Jeep is better off road, though not trialed the Jeep which I have done with a Land Rover..... :)

I only said consider the Jeep as they are far better equipped than early Disco's and not bad on fuel either.... :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.