Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jag XJ sport - Slow or what!  (Read 1586 times)

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
Jag XJ sport - Slow or what!
« on: 04 June 2009, 13:56:33 »

Borrowed a 96 3.2 straight 6 auto Jag XJ Sport for the weekend.  Rubbish boot size, I did manage 25 MPG on a leisurely cruise (No cruise control!) down to the south coast, but dear God was it slow!  The Queen Mary accelerates faster.  Never saw the revs over 3k even on kick down.  It has 105K on the clock and the owner mostly drives it on Sundays 3 miles to a pub, drinks 8 pints of thorn between 9 am and mid-day :o then back home to his own pub :o
Either it needs locking into 2nd gear and ragging down the M5 to Exeter and back with a bottle of Redex in the tank, or it's head needs to come off for a decoke, increasing it's actual cc from 320 to 3200.
I've driven Austin metros that are quicker ;D
Any thoughts?
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Martin_1962

Re: Jag XJ sport - Slow or what!
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2009, 14:15:54 »

Italian tuneup required

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2009, 14:19:51 »

Be careful. A mate of mine bought a V12 XJS out in Australia that was ex-Clergy Sundays-only transport.

Took it out into the Outback for a good ragging and destroyed both the engine and gearbox when it stirred up all the sludge and other sh1te in it. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2009, 15:15:49 »

Would a blocked fuel filter restrict power throughout the range, or just more noticable at high speeds?
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

amigov6

« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2009, 22:26:49 »

Some manufactures set autoboxes to kick down late & change up early to save transmission failure & a bad rep. I found the same with a BMW318i touring i owned many years ago, it was a £3k car then with low miles but when it finally decided to kickdown it just got going then changed up, frustrating to say the least. I got used to holding my foot on the floor & clicking up manually.
     I like the XJ's but never driven a 3.2. I've owned a 4.2 & driven the 5.3 V12 both of which kicked down instantly & did'nt change up til close to the red (as they should).

waspy

« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2009, 09:52:19 »

My mate's a Jag man, he doesn't rate the 3.2, it is a slow car. My old boss had an old 2.8 Jag, he was sooo embarrassed when a diesel fiesta pulled away from him one day on the A38. He sold it a few weeks later & bought a 4.2 :) He never looked back after that & always had Jags :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.